Brave Browser Discussion & Update Thread

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I checked with browserleaks.com after setting Brave to block all fingerprinting attempts, but seemingly brave is still showing my fingerprint. Any thoughts?

2. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

So, you change the setting to "device recognition attemps block"?

I checked here
    https://browserleaks.com/canvas

And I'm getting

Your Fingerprint
    Signature n/a
    Uniqueness n/a

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Same here.

4. 142395

142395 Guest

Technically the only way to prevent fingerprinting itself is to block the responsible script. Brave took, on top of that approach with EasyPrivacy, a different way - read the article mood posted, but in short they've made each profile on each visit to look so unique that fingerprinting is no more reliable.
    @Azure Phoenix @Krusty
    You'll still see font fingerprints for example. Note users of major fingerprinting frameworks such as Fingerprint2 don't need to solely rely on Canvas - Fingerprint2 for example is very configurable and you can combine whatever methods from about 30 different ones.

5. Rainwalker

Thanks for getting back. OK....I started using Nightly today. There is no "device recognition attempts block" option. Only the Block All Fingerprinting Attempts option. Which is not working for me. Good catch...kinda sorta :) When checking latest public release all worked as it did for you guys. Thanks.

6. Azure Phoenix

I'm not using Nightly, so I don't know if I can help here. But out of curiosity, can you tell if the fingerprint changes every time you refresh the webpage or closing and restarting the browser?

7. Rainwalker

No, it does not change with refresh. No big deal for me. I am not really very interested in Nightly. Interesting nonetheless.

8. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

@Rainwalker @Krusty @Azure Phoenix you can also check fingerprinting here https://github.com/Valve/fingerprintjs2
    FYI, the setting in NIghtly has the slightly different name to make it more clear, I think.

@142395 is correct about all the different fingerprinting methods/combos available. Nonetheless, Brave has the best built-in privacy features and adblocker of any major browser. (FF has lots of options but only geeks bother).No one has a toolbar UI like Shields, which includes a neat, if somewhat crude but easy to use script blocker,... easy granular whitelisting, etc. Their optimized adblocker is pretty good too. I've easily fixed the very few sites I've encountered with broken placeholders or cookie popups the adblocker missed. I love µBO but I also love the built-in goodness of Brave. I'm using Nightly here too, and looking forward to their privacy developments, even if they're taking some time. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  9. Azure Phoenix

I understand there are many methods of fingerprint. But the way you can use that site is to determined if your settings are correctly applied. In a similar way to how EICAR operates

10. Bertazzoni

Yes, I realize that too. I was just giving another alternative for checking.fingerprinting. They all have upsides. :thumb:

11. 142395

142395 Guest

@Bertazzone Actually they're planning "uBO mode". I wonder if what pes10k said is exactly correct - if that's the case their wiki is significantly outdated. Or he missed some staff. I'll test later and if I find missing function will report it back to the Github issue.

My two cents - "uBO mode" is not a good name. Even if they implemented all the missing function, it's unlikely it can be alternative to uBO. gorhill once emphasized uBO is not an ad-blocker, and it offers bunch of useful tools for those who create and manage their own rules - I know it's not only me who create rules first on uBO and import it to other ad-blocker. Currently Brave is chasing a moving target of uBO, but I hope they find their own way like AdGuard - even AG extension has its own characteristics such as AG-only syntax and scriptlets e.g. $cookie, generic HTML filtering, etc., not to mention stealth mode.

[EDIT] Can't edit #368 anymore, but it seems most of uBO scriptlets are available at least as resources.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2020
  12. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

One important thing pes10k missed is Dynamic (URL) Filtering. Or, more precisely, how the various parts of uBO's network filtering engine play together.

13. Bertazzoni

@142395 @summerheat µBO mode is a horrible name. Brave adblock will (probably) never offer wide-spectrum blocking. Their mission is to keep the browser and the web as "usable" (their term) as possible for the average user. I fully understand this and have no illusions about it. I just see them continuing to optimize their adblocker over time, e.g. maybe CNAME tracking, etc.

There is only one µBO. It is the reigning king!

14. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Does Brave allow me to sync my Google Chrome bookmarks / passwords or is it like a completely different browser?

15. Bertazzoni

Completely different. You may import bookmarks via HTML only right now. Brave sync feature had issues is not even available now. Return is expected but no ETA yet.

16. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Bummer man, that's a show stopper for me because I love how Chrome has everything in sync between my laptop and smartphone (bookmarks and passwords)

17. 142395

142395 Guest

Well, it won't be a final name - it's just a title of an issue. But I was just irritated, probably same as summerheat, as too many people take uBO just as an efficient ad-blocker. But I suspected even as an ad-blocker for casual user what pes10k said might be wrong - and it seems I was right, reported findings. I forgot to mention their new fingerprint protection is a small but meaningful step toward an unique blocker no more just an inferior version of uBO.

18. Bertazzoni

I forgot that you may enable Brave Sync in Brave://flags, but I'm not sure if it's fixed now as I don't use it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  19. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

Brave Browser Version 1.5.112 (Chromium: 80.0.3987.132) has been released.
    Homepage - Download - Release Notes

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

This is the second time that updates are problematic: when the relaunch stage was reached it froze, jacking up my CPU to 50%, a restart was required to normalize the situation.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

No problem like that here so far.

22. Azure Phoenix

No problem here as well.

23. Bertazzoni

No problem here either! Only problem I had was my restrictive Windows Defender settings, which was easily solved.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Let me guess, Controlled Folders, right?

25. Bertazzoni

I had ConfigureDefender @ max settings, so over the last couple of days all 3 ASR rules and CFA blocked stuff. I guess I win the prize! :D:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.