Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

That's why I'm waiting to see what others report in the media. What else, beyond the Journal, is it going to notify me about? :cautious:

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

It says, "This update adds the capability to notify you about future Windows Journal developments."
    I don't see why it would notify about anything other than that.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

While Microsoft has tried repeatedly to download Win10 in various sneaky ways, I just don't trust what they are telling me. :isay:

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Bork Tuesday tomorrow. Good Luck! :eek: :argh:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sure there may be "dinosaurs" here, but some of us prefer Windows 7 as a legacy playground or something. I know for a fact that it runs smoother as a virtual machine guest...

8. Dragon1952

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/12/microsoft-security-bulletins-july-2016/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  9. Dragon1952

10. Dragon1952

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I never got the June updates, I probably won't get the July updates. At the end of the day, I don't think I'm missing anything. As far as security goes, I have a competent AV, a Macrium image back-up, other security programs and some browser hardening. I'm careful where I surf and much of the time the JavaScript is disabled in my browser anyway. Microsoft's incompetence and/or agenda isn't our fault. I think we will be alright. M$ have lost me as a potential future customer though, my money will go elsewhere.

12. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Microsoft's Update went very smooth for me and my Mac. MS Office downloaded and installed in less than 5 minutes! :argh:
    I'll wait until next month when I reformat Win 7 and if there's anything in it about Win 10 (Nagware), then M$ will lose me too. Yes I know I can download software to stop the download of Win 10 but that's not the point. The point is, is that I payed for Win 7 without jumping through hoops to stop Win 10 from downloading. Think about the people that no little about computers, they were suckered into Win 10. That's what gets on my nerves. We'll see what happens next month after the reformat, hoping all goes well because I really want to keep Win 7 (with no added software to prevent Win 10). M$ the ball is in your court. :D

13. Stupendous Man

Are you talking of Windows 7?
    To get Windows Update going, to find the June updates, have you tried manually downloading KB3161664, stop Windows Update service, and then installing KB3161664? Even in bad cases, this could get Windows Update going, to find the June updates.

And have you tried installing KB3161608, that includes the component 3161647, of which the KB article says it includes "An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers."
    If Windows Updates doesn't work, manually download KB3161608, stop Windows Update service, and then install KB3161608.

June 24, I installed KB3161608. Today, July 12, Windows Update check for updates took only one or two minutes to find six Patch Tuesday updates. Installing took 20 minutes.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should be ok if you wait till after August 2nd (or end of July) to reformat and reinstall 7 from scratch. Once the free upgrade offer expires, MS has no reason to pollute your copy of 7 with any more b.s. They've already released the large update rollup package and that's fairly clean. I think a lot of people will reinstall 7 once this upgrade offer expires and is gone.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm having trouble believing M$ is not going to benevolently j/k extend the free w10 upgrade window.

16. itman

itman Registered Member

Appears Win 7 updates are hosed again! Noticed today that svchost.exe -netsvcs eating 16+% of CPU resources. Yep - the culprit is the win update .dll; just like last month. And, I had no problems either until today. Like you, had zip problems installing prior Office update a week or so ago.

So I used Process Explorer to kill the win update .dll in svchost.exe -netsvcs. I have had it with Microsoft!

17. Daveski17

I can't believe MS is acting like this, there again, maybe I should have known lol.

18. Daveski17

OK, thanks, I may look into it.

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My Vista computer does not update anymore, after 2 sessions of 3 hours I gave up. Not a big problem though as Vista is old enough, and very few people use it nowadays therefore I believe it is no longer worth to code malware for it.

Win 10 on my fast machine updated within 5 minutes with no problems. I agree it is wrong from MS to force upgrades to Win 10, on the other hand it is free, and most importantly it will activate the OS with a hardware digital entitlement which means that in the future one can upgrade/clean install Win 10 ad nauseam without any problems of activation.

Basically you get a free license of Win 10 even if you are not prepared to upgrade at this very moment. IMO it is a win-win situation (no pun intended!)...
    After a good week with Win 10, I'm quite happy to stay with it, I like Win 8.1 a lot, but Win 10 is the future and can only improve...

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It can take 14+ hours for Vista to find updates. If you leave Windows Update running, it will eventually find updates.

I agree with your comments about Windows 10. It's shame Vista users aren't eligable for the free upgrade.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Indeed it is Roger, especially considering the relatively small number of Vista users, it wouldn't be a great loss of revenue for MS...

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I can only presume that Microsoft were worried about compatiblity issues due to Vista machines being older than Windows 7 ones.

23. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

KB3161608 fixed it for me. Fast updates without issue. Thanks Stupendous Man.

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Updates on my Win 7 machine were there this morning a couple of minutes after I asked it to check for updates.

Downloaded, installed and rebooted with any issues.

25. Stupendous Man

@itman
    Is that with or without KB3161608 for Windows 7 installed?
    With KB3161608 installed on June 24 - yesterday, July 12, searching for and downloading and installing the Patch Tuesday updates went just fine, as I described.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.