Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I've never had a problem getting updates on my Win7 machine ever. Today after hours of trying to update I downloaded KB3161664, turned off Windows Updates Service and then installed the update.

After the update reboot and WU Service being back on, it took only 5 minutes to find 21 updates.

Computers are strange.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

No M$ is strange. Darn auto-correct I meant evil.

3. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

W10 64 and no joy for me. Usually enabling windows firewall and windows defender would allow updates to install, but not this time.
    Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3149135) - Error 0x800f0922
    Restarts,installs, configures then fails and has to undo it all. It takes so long to get the pc up and running again.
    Tried various repairs, sfc, chkdsk, win update repair. Tried many of the Tweaking.com all in one repair. No joy.
    If I can't find a solution soon I'll try Tweaking.com in safe mode. (When I have the time)Has often fixed others pc's for me when all else fails.
    Bork indeed.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

+1

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Believe it or not, I first noticed the slowdown of the update checking over a year ago, before 10 even came out. It started slowing down just a little, say 5 extra minutes, then 10, then slowly over the past year, it has reached the point of being totally ridiculous. But it's been going on for a long time now.

I do believe MS is not fixing it deliberately, so that users will get fed up with 7 and move to 10, yes.

6. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I believe that also. I've already moved, and not to Win 10. :D

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here... :)

8. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

"Problems are being reported with the MS16-072/KB 3163622 patch. "Admins are saying it breaks some Group Policy settings: drives appear on domain systems that should be hidden, mapping drives don't work, and other typical GPO settings aren't getting applied.

Although initial reports of misbehaving GPOs appeared for Windows 7 client PCs, it looks like the bug applies to Windows 7 clients, Windows 8.1, and even all versions of Windows 10 clients". http://www.infoworld.com/article/30...tches-kb-3159398-3163017-3163018-3163016.html

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Posted here too in a separate thread, but your links are better than mine. Thanks!

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Ditto.

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

LOL Wilders is the Anonymous of computer security. We know but everybody else is asleep.

12. Fingol

Fingol Registered Member

After a few more attempts I managed to install the updates on Friday. I'm using O&O Shutup, so I re-enabled all the telemetry/spying features of W10 along with windows fw and defender. That may well of been the issue this time.

13. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I'm having problems with windows 7 updates. Having had problems with an old laptop today i got fed up and recovered it to factory settings. Tried connecting to windows updates, that was 6 hours ago, it is constantly checking for updates, my fan sounds ike a hair dryer. When i remove my tin foil hat, I hear voices saying this is a conspiracy for people who won't upgrade to windows 10.
    I already have two chromebooks in the house, third one coming soon. Now that android apps are coming to chromebooks, I may finally be able to rid myself of this disgusting OS that is called windows, hallelujah

14. itman

itman Registered Member

Well, manually downloading and installing KB3161664 worked for me as noted here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/bork-tuesday-any-problems-yet.370217/page-95#post-2595167

15. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

I haven't had a problem with long Win 7 updates until this last set - after hours...hours of "checking for updates" with 1 CPU pegged and 0.5 gig RAM dedicated for the task I enabled some telemetry executables that i'd just blocked instead of uninstalling for the millionth time & rebooted. The updates were all sitting there waiting when i logged in - so I'm curious as to whether WU is getting screwed up from blocking/removing telemetry updates or whether WU is just having a GUI problem - i.e. were the updates sitting there all along & just weren't being displayed until i did a reboot...

unfortunately i didn't check here & try kb3161664

16. quietman

quietman Registered Member

I've updated two W7 machines in the past week and both involved about 90 minutes of waiting.
    I have updates set to " Never" and all MS telemetry turned off ( including AeLookupsvc , which was
    hogging resources for around 20 minutes on every boot.)

It's as if MS had adopted a strategy of " Take ALL of the updates we want you to have , and in the WAY we want them delivered "
    And anyone who doesn't play ball will have their time wasted.
    Of course , we'll never know for sure ...... :)

17. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

i rebooted after about 4 - 5 hours of 'checking for updates'. But now, after the update, if i 'check for updates' it only runs for about 10min before returning with a 'no updates'

18. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Has anyone tried this: - Windows 7, updates set to never- google ms security bulletin june 2016 , get the technet link and download the updates manually ? It worked for me.

It beats waiting ...

19. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

i think i'd have to be pretty desperate before cherry picking 25 updates and downloading each one manually :)

20. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'd get desperate waiting for 24 hours ... besides, I didn't have to download 25 updates.

21. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I have never had a problem with updates. I am using Win7 Pro and have it set to "Check for updates etc".
    This month as usual I downloaded and installed the 10 updates in a few minutes with no issues.

FWIW, I have used Never10 to disable GWX even though I never had any pop-up reminders.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not gloating about this and am very sympathetic to those of you suffering from endless updating delays. I am very curious as to why it would affect only a proportion of W7 users.

22. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If I have set update as you (Check for updates but let me choose...) I have no problem either (besides CPU hogs during check up). Try disabling Windows update service and run it on demand (enable service and click on check for updates). Till this month I didn't have problem running it on demand, but latest update took forever. So I decided to temporary set is the same way you have it set and it worked OK.

23. Cache

Cache Registered Member

OK I see the issue. Sounds as if MS may have taken exception to users who insist on adopting 'not recommended' settings.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I had 7 set for automatic updates and it still took forever to check. I gave up and threw in the towel after waiting 6 hours for it. Some don't seem to have the problem, so they are lucky, but others do I guess. Pretty much an unacceptable situation for some.

25. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I gave up and set Win 7 to check but let me decide when to download them. Well it found some but when I tried to download them it just sat there for 30 minutes and did nothing. Ubuntu is looking better and better. M$ just want a bunch of mindless sheep to do their bidding and pay them for the privilege.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.