Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't install KB3139929 unless you want to start seeing (at some point in time) browser ads. I installed it last month, and was minding my own business when Win 7 loaded my default browser (Chrome) and attempted to display some ad from "go.microsoft.blahblahblah". My adblocker blocked it, but it was obvious to me that the OS was loading the default browser in an attempt to display some Win 10 ad or other. I removed this update and haven't seen anything since. I'd recommend NOT installing it.

2. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

3. anon

anon Registered Member

It's a month old.........

4. topo

topo Registered Member

thanks for all replies. dragon, i read all the posts. i only use ie11 once a month for a certain task and i'm sandboxed when doing that. i will hide 3139929 along with kb3138612.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I notice that this month's updates from MS did not include the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
    First time it has been missing in years, that I recall.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It will probably be in this coming Tuesday's updates....

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

http://windowsitpro.com/microsoft-o...gular-monthly-update-schedule-office-products

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Guess the release last Tuesday caught me by surprise. Thanks, guys.

10. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Now we get to play with Bork Tuesday twice a month! Fun. :rolleyes:

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Twice a month now .... AAAAaaaaagggghhhhhh!!!! :eek:

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hahaha, yeah, it just gets better and better all the time! :)

Pretty soon EVERY Tuesday will be Bork Tuesday, 4 times a month...

13. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

This forced upgrade M$ is pushing will bite them in the butt soon. My New iMac will be delivered this Wednesday or Thursday. :D

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

:D :D
    hi Stapp
    i have to try here too , i will use these number too :)

15. Dragon1952

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/04/12/microsoft-security-bulletins-april-2016/
    Executive Summary

• Microsoft released a total of 13 bulletins in April 2016.
    • Six security bulletins received the highest rating of critical, the remaining seven one of important, the second highest rating.
    • All client and server versions of Windows are affected by vulnerabilities described in one or multiple critically rated bulletins.
    • Other affected Microsoft products include Microsoft Office and Microsoft SharePoint Server

16. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I haven't narrowed down the culprit yet but it seems one of the updates released today for Windows 7 is corrupting the bcd store or something else related to boot. Thankfully I'm testing in a VM I use for sysprep so I can just restore the snapshot and try again. Maybe it was a fluke but if I can reproduce and narrow it down (trying one at a time) I'll update you with the identity of the one borking on my image.

So the KB3146706 worked once without issues but now it along with KB3147071 have been consistently causing boot errors after installing them. Rebuilding the BCD doesn't help so I've also started to wonder if something else it at play. Maybe something is just wrong with my image and/or the drive it is saved on. Time will tell I guess but for now exercise a bit of caution if you install them. eg backup first! In the mean time I suppose I'll need to do a scan of the drive the VM is on to rule out that possibility.

For now these are the ones that seem to be causing me problems:
    KB3146706
    KB3147071
    both cause boot errors for file winload.exe (which they don't seem to modify)
    and now
    KB3149090
    also causes a boot error with cng.sys

Amusingly they all revolve around 0xc0000098 so at this point I'm thinking my image got corrupted somehow. The rest of the updates are installed with no issues though so it seems like I've got a lot of testing to do to figure out my problem.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. Dragon1952

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    thanks for the information !

19. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Having an issue with cumulative update KB3147458 for Win 10 64bit. Getting error 0x80070020. During installation it reboots and reaches 60% where gets stuck and it announces after certain time that this update couldn't be installed and my machine reverts to the previous state after few reboots. I tried to disable ESET but to no avail. Anyone else experienced this trouble? Any solution?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Nup. I'm actually surprised how few issues I've had with Win10 updates = none!

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Up to date I too. The first issue on Win 10 ever.

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've had a few issues with updates not installing from time to time, where everytime I reboot, Windows tries to install and update, and then fails and has to revert the changes. I've seen this happen on several computers.

23. pegas

pegas Registered Member

OK. Understood. How did you resolve those failed updates? Did you wait a couple of days and did try it again then or ... ?

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@pegas Usually in a few days, or sometimes even a week or more the issues were resolved.

25. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Of the two personal computers of mine, Windows 7 desktop-PC, Windows 7 Starter Netbook. Both upgraded smoothly to Windows 10. Both continues to update smoothly.

However with one person's computer, and upgrading from Windows 8.1 machine to the initial Windows 10 release. Upgrading to Windows 10, it would fail on the final stage where it'll reach 99% and then revert back to the previous Windows install.

It was directly related to the person's AVG installation. Simply disabling via user-interface wasn't sufficient. I don't remember the logged event recorded, but this and the WU error '0x80070020' means “the cause might be a that program running on your computer is interfering with Windows Update. This problem can often be solved by restarting your computer and running Windows Update again.

If you continue to receive error 80070020 after restarting your computer and running Windows Update, the interfering program, such as an antivirus program, might be running automatically when you first start your computer. In this case, you'll need to restart your computer without running programs that run when Windows first starts. This can be done two ways: by starting your computer in safe mode or by manually starting Windows without start up programs (also known as a clean restart). Both options are described below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-update-error-80070020#1TC=windows-7

There's three procedures you can try from there, try in the order listed on the page.

Before I do such WU updates, I also make sure I check manually for security program updates, and install if any. Then try norm way to install updates.

If you don't mind waiting for couple of weeks for your WU. Wait around and keep checking for security programs updates and test again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.