Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's a nasty. Did you choose to avoid all Optional updates? Or just the bad ones? I'm thinking I can just not install any of them...

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm strongly thinking the same thing, for the future. This Asus laptop is over 6 years old now, but no sign of dying yet.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

What's odd is that M$ claimed they'd withdrawn the recent bad optional borker. I just got that earlier today. I could get paranoid about this lol. :cautious:

Nowadays I just hide all optional updates.

4. Daveski17

I've never regretted buying an Ubuntu (Lenovo) laptop.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Re: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

For those who might not know, if you don't want Windows 10, that's one of the major Recommended updates to hide!

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's what I'm doing, just letting them sit there.. Yeah, I know they keep re-releasing that one you mentioned above "583" as "important" now and then. My theory was/is that *maybe* for someone doing a new install like me, they've now wised up and are offering all those as Optional. I guess we'll see in coming months. If 583 starts showing up as important (which I think it will eventually), then we'll know...

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, glad there are alternatives. I like the iMac idea more and more as time goes by. I ran 10 and it runs well on my machine, but I really don't much care for the direction they've taken with it all, ever since 8. So for now, it's 7 for me, assuming this all works out. So far so good.

8. Daveski17

Yeah, thanks, I only realised later what it actually was, I hide everything 'optional' anyway on principle.

9. Daveski17

The way I see it, there's more chance of Mickeysoft bricking my computer than malware or hardware failure.

10. Daveski17

Yeah, I check what each update/possible borker is every patch Tuesday just in case. It's one of the reasons I initially started this thread.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I'm making progress today, I should be done and up current in another hour or so... I'm really glad most of the bad ones showed up in Optional. That's where 583 is for me right now. But each month I'll following you guys here and try to avoid the nasty ones... Plus I'll have a Macrium image before each patch tuesday..

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True. I still think it's pretty unforgivable how MS polluted 7 and 8.1 with some of these bad updates, and the nagware Get 10 stuff. Thankfully, my new setup here is free of all that. Gotta keep it that way now.

13. Daveski17

That's a good plan.

14. Daveski17

M$ want everyone to switch to 10. They've just convinced me to (eventually) switch to UNIX.

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I'm all done, just finished the last of the updates, and did a Macrium image. I do have 69 Optional guys sitting there, but I only installed 3 of them, which were drivers I needed. I don't have a clue about the rest of them, but if they're Optional, then I guess I'll just assume I don't need any of them, unless I have some problem or issue that one of them will solve or fix. Right now though, I'm all set, everything is great. Going to keep it that way.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I think you're right, they do want everyone on 10. 10 *runs* fine on my machine, but there is so much in it, and about it, that I just don't want or need. Plus who knows where it's heading in the future, etc. Plus in 10, updates can come at ANY time, which makes everything rather unpredictable and also very uncontrollable. I won't say bad thing about 10, but I will say I prefer to stay with 7 after using 10 for 2 months...

17. Daveski17

I can't see why MS support 7 if they don't want anyone to use it.

18. Daveski17

Yeah, with MS 'optional' means 'not needed' lol.

19. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Once the Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet is published, they have no other choice, but to support it, whether it's used or not. ;)

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I guess so. That's where all the bad updates are sitting too, in the Optional bin. For now, I'm not installing any of them unless there's a specific reason to do so.

I gotta say, it feels great to have a nice clean Win 7 again. Fantastic! ;)

21. Daveski17

Hmmm ... what they say/publish and what they really want to do may be different things. :shifty:

22. Daveski17

I think I've even stopped installing 'Recommended' updates as well.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, maybe wise too..

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I'm considering changing my 4 digit pin number for my debit card to 5583 as I know I'll never forget it then :)

25. Daveski17

There may be a time when I stop updating altogether.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.