Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

New Window 11 Update now offers a toggle to get updates and fixes pushed out as soon as they become available.

2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...day-arrives-brings-one-new-windows-11-feature

3. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2023/05/microsoft-patch-tuesday-may-2023-edition/:

And:
    These "additional actions" are outlined here.

Note:
    Avoiding issues with your Bootable Media. :eek:
    The Average Joe will not be aware of all this, let alone understand and apply it...

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    I have the microsoft weather app no working anymore , it was updated yesterday
    does somebody have problem with some microsoft apps like microsoft weather app ?

thanks

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

My only problem is the ads it now has. Seems to work though.

6. plat

plat Registered Member

Ah, one of the downsides of refusing to run Edge. It seems you need the WebView2 Runtime application in order to use the MSN News, Weather and other apps. I tried to run it as Admin. just now and it was blocked by OSArmor because I'd set the rule "Block execution of Microsoft Edge."

Gosh, guess I'll have to get the news and weather from other sources. :(

7. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Indeed. In addition, how many Wilders' members will apply this? :eek:

No surprise. It's been that way with W11 from the start.:thumb:

8. nicolaasjan

From Dutch article:
    Microsoft enables Secure Boot update on all Windows systems next year.
    I run Linux, which is also affected and have UEFI Secure Boot disabled.
    So it shouldn't be an issue here, I guess?

https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000021066:
    Besides, according to Microsoft’s advisory, an attacker would need physical access or administrative rights to a target device, and could then install an affected boot policy.

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  9. Bertazzoni

Then this fix doesn't apply to you since you disabled Secure Boot. You're unprotected anyway.
    Indeed, which is why most users can wait for the auto fix down the line.

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

JFYI, MS Health Tools and KB4023057 landed and installed on my Win 10 last night.

11. nicolaasjan

I've accepted that risk, because I believe to have a very low threat profile. :)

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but should i install WebView2 Runtime or update edge to have the news and weather apps working?
    thanks

13. xxJackxx

Sounds like a win/win. There are better options for any of those.

14. plat

plat Registered Member

Wow, thanks. Yeah, not surprising.

xxJackxx: yes, much better. Less visual distraction from all those ads, for sure.

I honestly don't know, mantra. Do you get a message to install this when you go to open Weather? Do you have Edge installed?

If you don't get that WebView2 message when you open the Weather app, maybe you can try to reset or repair the apps via Settings. I've had to delete, then reinstall it from the Store before. This WebView2 is something different, it seems, prob. b/c I don't have Edge browser installed. But I'm guessing here. It would make sense b/c previously, if I clicked a link in the News app, Edge would try to open and it would fail. Windows does not always honor third party default browsers. :thumbd:

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi @plat
    yes it came pre-installed with windows ,but i don't want to use , and i don't keep updated
    i have the message of WebView2 only for microsft weather and news and maybe another apps , i have read the microsoft weather app now is full of ads now
    do you think I could install an older version of weather ? grabbing the files from an image?
    but does it work on your windows ?
    thanks

hi @xxJackxx
    do you keep w10 always updated?
    have you WebView2 installed ?
    and i can't understand why there are so many entries of uninstalled program in the notify control center , w10 does keep even i have uninstalled them:eek:
    w10 and i guess w11 are always in beta version:(
    thanks

Last edited: May 11, 2023
  16. plat

plat Registered Member

Hey mantra. I looked this up b/c I'm unfamiliar with this WebView2. It seems it's part of Edge itself so I would think you would need to fully update Edge in order to use the Weather app again. Again, this is a guess but here, I found this and it does seem to confirm you need Edge browser in order to use the other built-in apps. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this feature can comment.

The first sentence in this link says it all, right?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/webview2/concepts/browser-features

17. Bertazzoni

The same here, my friend.

18. plat

plat Registered Member

Yeah it did occur to me also that this is another manifestation of Windows telemetry--"aha we see you don't have our fabulous browser. No apps for you." :p

Sheesh. Luckily, there are other fish in the sea.

19. xxJackxx

I keep everything always updated, for better or worse. It helps identify issues customers may have so we are prepared to deal with them. I agree though, it does feel that Windows 10 and 11 are in a constant beta state.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

@plat @xxJackxx
    hi
    you know i have tought to uninstall edge but i guess i will mess up everything
    have you some application uninstalled still the windows 10 notification list ?
    have you tried to remove from here?
    Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings
    thanks mates

21. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, I was extremely determined to get Edge off my system so I used the HiBit Uninstaller (similar to Revo and others) and after uninstalling Edge via that, used the Advanced scan to eliminate what was a considerable amount of leftovers and remnants.

Never went into the registry for anything and not one nag so far to reinstall Edge on Windows 10 and 11. I guess the key is to remove as much of it as possible. Otherwise Microsoft will try to get a foot in the door.

But this is what I did. There may be unforeseen consequences to removing something like that. I mean, if you use the other apps like Weather or News, well then I suppose you should keep it on your system and keep it updated--even if you don't use it.

22. anon

anon Registered Member

23. xxJackxx

24. plat

plat Registered Member

If anyone is interested, just got a .NET Framework update KB5026958 and an optional Cumulative one (KB5026435) The latter is in the process of installing now so there's nothing about it (yet). Don't foresee any problems; the update process itself has been really smooth and uneventful for quite some time. :thumb:

Windows 10

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.