Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

They are both off now it worked. I turned them both back on at least for now because i did not notice a performance change.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  2. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

No problem. I think that Disk Cleanup use this command as well, but there is some delay before it is being used by it (maybe 3-4 weeks or so) and that's why I am using it manually instead of waiting to appear in Disk Cleanup. I also tested the issue from the links (regarding the BSOD when printing) and didn't have a problem, but I have an Image before applying the updates, so I can restore the system without using system restore or uninstalling the update manually (and this is not possible after the above command anyway). :)

3. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

You can try to shut down the protection manually using these commands:

Code:
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
    or check this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-client-guidance-for-it-pros-to-protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-35820a8a-ae13-1299-88cc-357f104f5b11

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

6. Dragon1952

I turned them off again and the mouse seems to work better. When i click on a shortcut or a link it works the first time more than it did before with meltdown and spectre protected.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Cumulative Update for the beta channel (?) no issues, build is now 19043.867

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

KB5000802 re-installed itself this morning on the machine I removed it from yesterday.
    So all must be well now in win update land :D

10. Special

Special Registered Member

Good logic!

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft publishes workaround for printing BlueScreen issue in Windows
    https://www.ghacks.net/2021/03/13/m...und-for-printing-bluescreen-issue-in-windows/
    -----------
    Microsoft shares temporary fix for Windows 10 printing crashes
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...emporary-fix-for-windows-10-printing-crashes/
    ----------------------
    Next steps: We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in the coming week.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-health/status-windows-10-2004#1570msgdesc

12. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

YES, as so many people noticed,
    The major achievement of the most recent Windows OS update is that BLUE screen while trying to print, but...
    I have some OTHER ISSUES that makes me and my coworkers scream and curse those recent Windows updates.
    It's that SUPER SENSITIVITY with ANYTHING about the computer.

Examples:

I click to create just ONE NEW FOLDER, but the computer creates MINIMUM 3 new folders!
    I click to close just one email, the computer closes my OUTLOOK.
    It's almost impossible to push the FILE button on Excel. It take minimum 5 times and EXTRA FINESSE to click on FILE and get other procedures.
    The same thing with MS Access.
    I can go and go, but the most important thing is that
    ONCE UPON A TIME, we, the people working in the office, had NO THAT KIND OF ISSUES with Windows!

P.S. I know the "working-from-home" MS engineers NEED to PROVE how hard they work at home, but, PLEASE, don't screw up what we have.

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Is this repeatable on multiple machines? Are you positive you don't have a mouse issue? I had a PC recently that would tell me I was entering the wrong PIN at bootup (without touching anything) and found it to be a keyboard issue.

14. Dragon1952

Has this update been pulled by MS. I have updates paused now. If i resume updates now would i get it.

15. xxJackxx

I don't believe they have pulled it and since they have posted a "workaround" for the issue I assume they aren't going to pull it.

16. Dragon1952

Would the fix work if you don't uninstall the bad update.

17. xxJackxx

Couldn't say from experience. I haven't had any actual issues in the first place. This update has been installed on a dozen PCs without issue for me. Sure doesn't mean others will have the same luck.

18. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I got feedback from one occasion where that fix solved a problem. You can also wait for a while since MS announced update that will solve the problem in coming week.

19. Trooper

That is what I am doing. Too much of a hassle for an Enterprise environment.

20. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

It's on several computers, but I'll try to replace the mouse.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

22. plat

plat Registered Member

Was anyone personally affected by the bluescreens, I wonder? I just installed the renewed KB5000842 a little while ago but it's not really applicable on here. At any rate, it's out of the way, and hopefully it actually fixes this pretty grim issue for those w/certain makes of printers.

23. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I did not install the original update but did install today's fixed CU, KB5001567. It took about 15 min. on an SSD, about 5 min. longer than a typical CU. Restarted computer, no problems observed. (I don't have a printer but regularly use the "print to pdf" feature, so I decided to play it safe by waiting for the fixed update.)

24. Trooper

25. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Of course, it couldn't go 100% smoothly. When I unpaused updates, it forcibly downloaded a February-dated .NET preview over my metered connection and restarted the computer, causing the Settings app to crash along the way. After the restart it seems to be OK.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.