Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes it can be checked through Event Viewer, looking for Informational events for source Defrag. I posted examples of events on my system in post #6118.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You did. I missed that as I was not expecting it had already been discussed. I try to read entire threads but when there are over 6100 posts...
    Interesting in any case. Thanks for the info. I guess I should start checking some of these PC to see what is being logged.

3. guest

guest Guest

Windows 10 out-of-band updates released to fix printing issues
    June 16, 2020
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...band-updates-released-to-fix-printing-issues/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
  4. Minimalist

No problem it was just an FYI.
    I re-checked my logs after disabling scheduled optimization and no new entries were recorded. So at least disabling this functionality is working :)

5. xxJackxx

Same here. After finding similar entries in the event logs I just disabled the scheduler for the defrag.

6. RangerDanger

RangerDanger Registered Member

Update time for this feature update 2004? I'm using a hard drive.I have it waiting to be downloaded and installed.Not in any hurry just curious.

7. catspyjamas

catspyjamas Registered Member

Hi Minimalist. Would you mind stepping me through how to disable optimisation/defrag maintenance, and also how manually re-trim the SSD? This is for my machine with Win 10 2004 with an SSD and the "never run" bug.

EDIT - I found the Bleepingcomputer article which explains how to disable the weekly optimisation, and how to manually optimise the SSD (which I gather will trim rather than defrag it).

Only thing I'm not sure about is my D drive which is a HDD. Apparently maintenance tries to trim rather than defrag HDDs. Should I disable optimistion for my HDD then too? If I do, will manually optimising by the inbuilt optimisation tool cause it trim or defrag the HDD?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  8. RangerDanger

RangerDanger Registered Member

Thanks.My Toshiba Satellite thanks you too.Updating at night with a cat is risky.

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

After manually checking for updates my second machine is now offered 2004. I hope it is as painless as the first machine.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Apparently the first attempt failed.

I've been keeping an eye on that machine expecting to get a message to restart. Last I seen it was installing at about 87% but when I just checked I was surprised to see a message that the machine was up to date. Checking for updates again offered 2004. It didn't need to download and has started installing again.

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Failed again! Error 0x80070005.

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just updated and noticed this bug is still present. Just disabled it as well.

13. Minimalist

I tried to run it on my system manually and it started to defrag it. I did not wait for it to finish so I'm not sure if after defrag re-trim would be run also. You can just try to run it and after it's finished check your logs for error.

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

After a system restart, then disabling Malwarebytes for good measure, the 2004 upgrade finally completed successfully on machine 2.

15. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft confirms storage issues in Windows 10 May 2020 Update
    June 17, 2020
    https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/17/windows-10-may-2020-update-storage-spaces-issue/

16. noway

noway Registered Member

Thanks. I checked the event viewer (Windows Logs-->Application-->Defrag) and it does distinguish between trim and defrag for SSDs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  17. xxJackxx

It does. I was not aware of this before yesterday. I had not previously considered they were messing up something as simple as the defrag utility. Or that they were defragging SSDs and that fact was not being disclosed by said utility. It leaves me wondering what other things we need to disable because they don't do what we expect.

18. plat

plat Registered Member

I ran it just now, it says it's TRIMMING. I assume it's really doing that versus defrag. In Event Viewer, there's corresponding ID 258, saying the storage optimizer successfully completed retrim on C: . If I restart the machine, however, the Disk Optimizer now says "never run." That's my issue: that it doesn't remember. Same complaint as many others. I don't trust this right now, so I'm not really using it, just checking what it's doing.

I disabled the scheduled System Maintenance about a week ago when I updated to 2004 and this bug showed up (again). I was wondering if there was a third party software to use until this is fixed and trustworthy but it's not that important. It's not a priority.

Krusty, good that your machines updated. :thumb:

19. xxJackxx

Check the website for the manufacturer of your drive and see if they have any utilities you can download. For example my workstation had a SanDisk SSD in it and SanDisk SSD Dashboard works for what I need it to do.

20. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Has MS at least acknowledged the Windows 10 2004 optimization/defrag bug?

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Got the Win 10 2004 upgrade in my update settings. Failed to install. Cleaned everything and tried again. Failed to install. I didn't pay any attention if there was an error message. I'll wait a while and maybe later this month or next try again. I'm in no rush. V1909 running smooth and stable.

22. Minimalist

23. Trooper

24. Trooper

Good idea. I have a SAMSUNG MZVLB1T0HBLR.

Would the Samsung Magician software work for me?

25. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Unfortunately not, because it uses Windows own tool to optimize drives.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.