Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I got the first offered as important and recommended.
    The second I got as important, not recommended.

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Because of the setting "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" recommended updates are offered the same way as important updates, but still they're only recommended updates, not important updates in the true sense.
    That default setting "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" is a really great way to make things very confusing.
    And Microsoft changing updates from important to optional or recommended, or the other way round, in only a couple of days time, makes things even more confusing, of course.
    Great going, Microsoft. :)

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

My Lenovo AMD laptop updated and booted to the desktop without incident.

5. klarm

klarm Registered Member

after a list of KBs on my friend laptop (some old, some newer), I lost ability for using microsoft updates in WUMT and also ability for using offline mode with .cab file.
    only "windows update" option works and others just keep searching for updates that never end.
    any advice?

edit: solved by uninstalling/installing silverlight again.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. ZMsiXone

ZMsiXone Registered Member

^^ i'm frequently visiting this board: www(.)bleepingcomputer(.)com: it has a very good reputation.
    ...simply create a thread in this section: "Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support".

I updated one of my (three) laptops (my old one with i5-2430M; GT540M) few hours ago: everything seems to work fine so far..... .
    My two (gaming-) laptops have Broadwell and Haswell CPUs threfore i will wait a while before updating this machines.

https://www.ciodive.com/news/wait-i...security-patches-for-meltdown-spectre/514691/

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The Microsoft January 4th rush security patches for X86 systems did not address the Meltdown vulnerability.
    That would be the security-only patch from the MS Catalog and the monthly rollup sent through Windows Update,
    KB4056894 (W7) and KB4056898 (W8.1)

So if you have a 32 bit system, Microsoft has not sent anything in the way of protection. All Intel 32 bit systems after 1995 are affected by Meltdown and Spectre. Most AMD 32 bit processors are affected by Spectre.

NB: The Microsoft January 4th patches for 64 bit processors did address the Meltdown vulnerability. Intel and AMD BIOS updates for Spectre are for 64 bit systems only.

I was made aware of this when I came across this discussion on a Linux site (32 bit systems have no patches available either). All my Linux systems are 32 bit. There is no word as yet as to when these systems will receive protection.

8. ZMsiXone

ZMsiXone Registered Member

^^ is there a way to install all necessary security updates for windows without installing patches for Meltdown/Spectre?
    It seems that patches for Meltdown/Spectre are not stable enough therefore i wanted avoid problems (e.g. bricking my systems).

I havent updated my laptops yet, because the patches for metdown/Spectre could cause heavy problems... ...but on the other side i cant wait forever for stable Spectre/Meltdown patches.... :(

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi emmjay, to take care of this issue for my W7 32 bits laptop, I downloaded from the catalogue security only update KB4056897.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056897/windows-7-update-kb4056897

Bo

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Bo, I got that one too. It appears that Microsoft addressed the Meltdown vulnerability in KB4056897, though their documentation is fuzzy at best. When I Googled for more info, I came across a lot of articles where doubt was expressed. IMO: Microsoft did what could be done for the 32 bit architecture and that is about it. Also, I do not think we will see anything for Spectre. Several security mavens and software engineers believe that it is going to be very costly for Microsoft, Intel, AMD to develop fix(s) for the 32 bit architecture (performance degradation and design restrictions are major issues). And it is no secret that 80% of active X86 Windows users have an Intel 64 bit system.

Intel has already gone AWOL on 32 bit. So will Microsoft even bother?

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it is probably an on-coming train.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"More Windows patches, primarily previews, point to escalating problems this month...

...Never give a sucker an even break. Yesterday, on a very out-of-band Wednesday, Microsoft released preview patches for Windows 8.1 (but not 7!), Server 2012, and Windows 10 1709 (for bricked AMD machines only), with preview cumulative updates for Win10 1703 and 1607. There are also nine different .NET preview patches.
    What should you do? Nothing. More accurately, make sure you DON’T install any of them. Fortunately, all of these patches require that you download and install them — and you’d have to be crazy (or an admin trying to shore up some critical servers) to dive into the cesspool..."

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-point-to-escalating-problems-this-month.html

13. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...lup-for-net-framework-3-5-1-4-5-2-4-6-4-6-1-4

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I had a .net patch in Jan but MS took it away before i installed it. They did not give me another one today to take its place.

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

17. guest

guest Guest

18. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I haven't been in windows 7-SP1-64bit since mid December. I expected to see January patches when I ran Win 7 yesterday, but all I got was MSRT. Normal?
    It's fine with me since there seem to be problems, still, I'm surprised.

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Do you use antivirus on this system? If you do, you should update it so it is compatible with latest Meltdown patch. If you don't use any, you can set appropriate registry key manually and you'll get updates offered.
    More info here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...stems-for-the-meltdown-and-spectre-cpu-flaws/

20. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

No AV. Just Outpost firewall and MSE. I read about and checked that thingie in the registry and I do have it.

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

22. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi act8192. In my case, I don't use AV in my W10 or W7 and dont have the registry key. In neither computer I was offered the January Meltdown patch via Windows updates. For both computers, I downloaded the corresponding update from the Microsoft catalogue, and updated. I havent experienced any issue.

For my W7, when I ran Windows update manually, all I was offered was the MSRT for the month, like you. So yes, what you got was normal. The package I installed in W7 was KB4056897. You have the registry key, you ll be fine. I didnt have it but I dont use AV. You are better off than I was. When I ran the update in W7, I felt very confident all was going to be well. And it has.

Bo

23. anon

anon Registered Member

24. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Maybe we should start a new thread for people that have W7 and don't have the registry key like me.

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can't describe how I currently feel about Microsoft without using profanity, so I won't. The boss' PC is not compatible with the Fall update. Yet every day for weeks it tries to install it, gets to 83%, freezes, and after a forced reboot it rolls back. I have tried multiple times to resolve the issue but it never finishes. I have tried to block it and cannot. It is downloading it again as I type this. I now understand his preference for Apple. I think Microsoft should be sued for the forced updates and lost productivity by breaking machines that are not compatible and cannot be opted out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.