Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

2. Dragon1952

3. Dragon1952

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, only received the Malicious Software Removal Tool for January 2018 and the Adobe Flash Player (kb4056887). That's it. I was expecting more for some reason. These machines run Windows Defender.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi plat, that's also what I got for W10.

Bo

6. Dragon1952

and also .net patch for W7.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here, although I also got updates for Office 2013.

8. hiten

hiten Registered Member

Same here, I run Windows Defender (no other antivirus), and I've checked my registry key, the entry is already there (probably added by Windows 10 itself, I never create it).

Do you think we should just download the Meltdown update manually? Or should we wait?

::EDIT::
    I'm using Intel btw, not AMD.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. bo elam

Hi hiten, I think you ll be fine downloading and installing the update. In my case, I do not have the registry key but I dont have any AV. I downloaded the patch and installed it manually on the day the update came out. All is well.

Bo

10. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

For what it's worth, these are my results for the Microsoft January 2018 updates:

Last weekend, after the anti-virus set the appropriate registry key, KB4056894 January 4, 2018 Monthly Rollup for Windows 7 was offered through Windows Update and was installed on my two Windows 7 x64 Intel systems (E8600, P6200), and also on a friend's Windows 7 x64 Intel system (T9550), with no borking.

Yesterday, Patch Tuesday, KB4055532 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework and KB890830 MSRT were offered through Windows Update, and also the optional but 'recommended' KB4033342 .NET Framework 4.7.1.
    I installed all three, including 'recommended' KB4033342 .NET Framework 4.7.1.
    After installation, the KB4033339 language pack for .NET Framework 4.7.1 was offered and was also installed.
    All looks well, no borking.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

12. Dragon1952

That was a great read from Woody.

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Around 10:OO am (local time) ....I lost trackpad scrolling in my Opera browser, so I shut down the browser. Then I tried Win Key + i to open settings. That didn't work. Tried the Start button > settings, and got to "Update and Security", and saw that there were updates available and downloading...

I tried to take a screenshot, using either by WIN key + Prtscn, and/or typing 'snipping' in 'Search Windows. However, even though the cursor was blinking, I couldn't get any characters/letters to appear in the search box.

Anyway, I then got the option to restart, now or later. So, opted for immediate!.

When after the supposed changes to the 'system' had finished, and reboot, I had regained all the things that weren't working, as described above.

So, after the reboot I could get screen captures, and I took this one:

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_01.JPG

I then rebooted as directed, and then I went into Settings > Windows Update via the "WIN Key + i", and got what I couldn't get screen captures of the first time, as mentioned earlier.

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_02.JPG ...> Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_03.JPG

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_04.JPG

So, after doing the do-si-do with Microsoft, I am not sure whether the system changes have been made!

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_05.JPG

14. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am still on build 15063...And, I guess the Microsoft updates hit a glitch...

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_06.JPG

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I guess I was mistaken...a slew of updates! ;)

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_07.JPG

Windows Updates_ offered and rebooted_08.JPG

16. ABaird3

ABaird3 Registered Member

I'm still getting random reboots, and I'm fully up to date with the updates. I wonder if it will ever get fixed, it's been an issue ever since the creator's update a few months ago. I've never had much problems with Windows until creator's update, I guess I've joined the list of people for whom Windows is broken.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

+1 (since Fall Creators Update).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  18. ZMsiXone

ZMsiXone Registered Member

^^ maybe thats the problem:
    source: https://www.neowin.net/news/intels-fix-for-meltdown-and-spectre-had-a-bug-of-its-own
    ___EDIT:______________________________________________________________
    ..found another article about this issue:
    source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/inte...dates-bug-causing-system-reboots-519349.shtml

______EDIT 2:________________________________________________________
    source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/just...-due-to-meltdown-spectre-patches-519323.shtml

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  19. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I received both these updates as well, sent as important, not optional (W7/32 Pro).
    On Jan 9th, KB4033342 was not ticked. On Jan 10th, it disappeared completely. Withdrawn by Microsoft.
    On January 9, 2018, .NET Security and Quality Rollup (KB4055532), was originally ticked. Today it is no longer ticked. That usually means it might get pulled.

I am wondering if there have been issues - maybe specific to certain configurations. Have you seen rumbles?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  20. klarm

klarm Registered Member

KB4033342 is NET 4.7.1. I hope they didn't bork this cos I installed it on my laptop (win7 64). I didn't see any problems.

21. Stupendous Man

If 'recommended' KB4033342 .NET Framework 4.7.1 was offered as 'important', then I suppose in your Windows Update settings "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" is checked.
    With the default Windows installation, that is the default setting for recommended updates.
    I changed that setting, because I want to be able to see which updates are truly 'important' and which are the 'recommended' updates, and also because, in 2015, that setting, together with "Install updates automatically", was relevant in silently pushing the Windows 10 upgrade files to Windows 7 systems without any other user authorization.
    If the setting for "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" is disabled, recommended updates are offered as optional, but shown in italics.

I have seen no rumbles, yet.

22. bo elam

Hi emmjay, FWIW, in my W7 32 bits, I have not gotten any patch Tuesday updates for January. The only update I done in that computer in January is KB4056897 which I downloaded from the MS catalogue ad updated manually.

Bo

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

@Stupendous Man. You are correct, 'Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" is checked on my WU for my W7/32 Pro. Tnx for the info on how that differentiates the settings. I was aware of italics in optional. As always, I appreciate your info.

@bo elam. his observations raise questions - W7/32, that is.

Windows Updates get sent to users at different times, sometimes on day of issue and others up to a day or two after. It might be that W7/32 systems were getting hit with issues in that gap and MS halted further distribution. Mine were received but I did not install them. If MS was unsure if they should pull them at the time or not, might explain why they were changed from recommended to not recommended.

I am speculating now: Not knowing what the Meltdown fix changed in Windows 32 gives me pause. I installed those on Jan 4. They may have had a bearing on how the Net Framework patches installed on W7/32 systems.

24. bo elam

I also installed the Meltdown fix (KB4056897) the day it came out. And didnt run Windows updates on patch Tuesday. So, I dont know if something would have ben offered that day if I had run it. I checked Windows updates to see what I would get a couple of days ago, and got nothing new. Not even the new version of Net Framework. I always install those updates for the version I have but dont care upgrading the version. So, whenever I see a Net Framework upgrade, I ignore it.

Bo

25. Stupendous Man

What exactly do you mean?
    Patch Tuesday, KB4055532, Security and Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework, was not offered as recommended, but it was offered as important.
    Patch Tuesday, KB4033342, .NET Framework (upgrade to) 4.7.1, was offered as recommended.

Edit:
    emmjay deleted the post that I quoted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.