Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The last cumulative update which wouldn't install, kept failing to install no matter how many times I tried. It was easiest just to hide the update so that whenever I reboot (which admittedly is usually not that often), I do have to wait a few minutes while Windows tries to install the update, fails to install it, and then the changes are rolled back.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Rolling back changes during a reboot, I have never experienced, if or when you find the reason please let us know...

3. roger_m

Windows tries to install the update twice, then says it failed to installed it and says it is rolling back the changes.

4. guest

guest Guest

No issues here as always.

5. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Cumulative update KB4013429 installed on the second attempt. It lasted a couple of minutes to download and install. Anyhow it wasn't a big issue for me. At least I had enough time for a morning coffe. :)

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

@pegas, Are you still updating Vista?

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Yeah, you reminded me that I have a VAIO. :) I had not run this laptop more than a year, so I'm afraid to boot it up now. I reckon it would end up in an endless loop of updates. But one day, when I will have available all day or two, I will give it a try.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have a 'beautiful' old Asus desktop replacement with Vista Ultimate which I have been trying to update in 2016, with problems more often than not (as we know MS has been erratic in updating old OSs). It got to the point that starting the machine would take more than 2 minutes whereas normally 40 seconds was required, and other strange behaviour was also to be seen. As malware was not responsible, I thought what the hell, I can't update it anymore, I restored a two years old image, and voila', everything was working perfectly as it should. Bottom line? I don't want to speculate about MS updates breaking old OSs, but ever since I stopped updating it (it is Vista SP2) the computer is fast as when I first bought it 9 years ago...

10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thanks, good to know before the adventure of booting up my VAIO begins. :) Anyway, to be honest, I'm used to update everything without delay. It relates to all my devices regardless of OS. So, as soon as any update is available on my Android, iOS and Win machines I install it and I never had so serious issue that would force me to change my approach. Naturally some minor issues happen from time to time, as for instance today with the cumulative update on my Win 10 machine, but generally all issues I ever had were resolved easily. This counts also for Vista OS. I was updating it regularly until I was using it everyday. I don't know if I was so blessed but my VAIO machine was running pretty well with all Vista updates and patches. However now some issues can be expected when the VAIO has not been run so long. One day we will see.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

12. pegas

pegas Registered Member

13. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

14. roger_m

I was working on a Vista computer recently, and after upgrading to SP2, it seem to be taking longer to start up. However, one of my own laptops is running Vista with SP2 and fully updated up to February of this year (it looks like it will take time to find the more recent updates again), and it runs quite fast. It's eleven years old and has a fairly slow Core Duo processor (not even core 2 duo), but runs really well.

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I would also expect no problems with Vista on my VAIO unless it would be regularly updated. As I said, the machine had performed pretty well with all Vista updates/patches when I was using it. However I don't know what's gonna happen when I boot it up after more than a year.

16. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

What a saga! Eventually got this month's Win 10 updates through.

On my secondary machine, WU worked, but after several attempts.

On my primary machine, I had to resort to downloading KB4103429 and KB4013418 from MS Update Catalog and installing manually, and after several more WU attempts, purging WU download cache to get the rest through.

In both cases, the Cumulative Update was very slow.

The whole process has taken me the better part of a day.

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://arstechnica.com/security/20...unprecedented-patch-delay-doesnt-smell-right/

18. itman

itman Registered Member

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I doubt that they would postpone all updates just to fix some new vulnerabilities.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree, something else big was going on. I see it as just rampant incompetence coming out of MS nowadays....

21. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Medium problem with that also. I'm waiting to determine whether it was the update per se, or VoodooShield with Self Protection enabled. There are reports of problems with kb4013429 elsewhere that likely don't involve VS, so .... At this point, it's doubtful I'm going to keep VS installed when the Creators Build is ready, let alone disable it.

MS? What's that? Never heard of it.

22. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I don't know what caused the delay but I rather prefer to have a delayed update than on time but botched.

23. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

If Mary Jo can not coax it out of any of her inside contacts, it must be on fear of death if they speak. This leads me to assume it was a very serious problem. I just hope they were not hacked.

24. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I also initially wondered about VS 3.54, but I don't think it was VS. I had rolled back to 3.53, and had it disabled. Two other machines, with VS free installed, had no issues, with VS on Autopilot.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Win7 64-bit, AMD processor. Has anyone else received this Optional Update? Microsoft - HIDClass - 10/27/2015 12:00:00 AM - 9.9.108.0 (167 KB)

I see it listed here (scroll all the way down) 3 times: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HID However, it states Win10 & Win8.1.

The link http://www.catalog.update.microsoft...updateid=50500902-a79c-42da-91d2-a64dc41eb9a1 confirms Win10.
    The link http://www.catalog.update.microsoft...updateid=2bb976b5-f512-4454-9e59-7eb21152a39d confirms Win8.1.

Nothing for Win7. Weird!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.