Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Stupendous Man. As I thought, I leave them as they are.

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

nm

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Stupendous Man , i haven't installed i gave a look at the history , i have searched in the registry , with total commander for files nothing , i haven't installed them

in the Task Scheduler i have UsbCeip , KernelCeipTask,Consolidator,BthSQM all enabled

about the service i haven't it ,i have deeply checked
    weird but i haven't even KB3135449 or KB3112336

thanks for everything!

4. guest

guest Guest

If you have turned off the Windows Customer Experience program, these tasks are not needed and you can disable them in your Task Scheduler.

5. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

I don't think that is weird.

Windows Update Client December 2015 was highly controversial, because of the content "This update enables support for additional upgrade scenarios [...] to Windows 10, and provides a smoother experience when you have to retry an operating system upgrade because of certain failure conditions. This update also improves the ability of Microsoft to monitor the quality of the upgrade experience."

Windows Update Client February 2016 was also controversial, because of the idea that it may have been cumulative, and include the December 2015 content.

For those reasons, I didn't install Windows Update Client December 2015 and February 2016, either.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    i had to do because w7 and w8.1 takes hours (several hours) to check for new update..
    thanks man !

7. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Ah, thanks, I misunderstood.
    So, where you said you didn't have those updates, you meant you did install those updates, but you couldn't find them in Windows Update history. That is not the same as you don't have them, of course. ;)

By the way, if anyone would still have the issue that Windows Update doesn't work or that it takes very long time to scan and install updates, for Windows 7 the solution is in Microsoft's article "Windows Update is taking an unusually long time to scan and install updates".
    For Windows 8.1 the method is the same, but other updates need to be applied:
    For Windows 8.1 it is KB3172614 that fixes the "long scan time for updates" issue (instead of KB3172605 for Windows 7),
    and for Windows 8.1 the prerequisites for installing KB3172614 is to have installed or to install KB2919355 and KB3021910 (instead of SP1 (=KB976932) and KB3020369 for Windows 7).

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi Stupendous Man, correctly i have installed but i can't find anymore

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Anyone else having a problem installing: "Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.231.2027.0) - Error 0x80070643" ?

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

If you get that error you can solve it doing the following:

Open a CMD prompt (run as admin) then execute the next two lines:
    Code:
    "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -RemoveDefinitions -All
    "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\MPCMDRUN.exe" -SignatureUpdate

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks Mister X :)

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

You are welcome.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

Microsoft publishes December 2016 Patch Previews
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/16/microsoft-publishes-december-2016-patch-previews/

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I hope that this scenario will not come to life.

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Another way to check for Telemetry introduced by the new patches is Task Scheduler -> Task scheduler library -> Microsoft -> Windows. Check Application Experience and Custumer Experience Improvement Program.

17. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yes:

About the article "Turn off the Windows Customer Experience program" at ghacks
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/10/26/tu...stomer-experience-program/?PageSpeed=noscript

Among other ways (Group Policy and Windows Registry) to disable the Windows Customer Experience program, Martin writes there also about the way to do it with Task Scheduler (I use taskschd.msc for that).

Martin writes there to go to:
    Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Autochk
    and
    Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Application Experience
    and to disable things there.

But I wonder whether he forgot to mention this one:
    Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Customer Experience Improvement Program
    and to disable things there too.
    I see there:
    - Consolidator
    - KernelCeipTask
    - UsbCeip

18. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

And while we are at that ghacks page and looking at the recommendation for Group Policy and the screenshot there, I wonder why not also to enable to "Turn off the Windows Messenger Customer Experience Improvement Program".
    That one looks to me also some kind of telemetry.

But maybe that is out of the scope of this thread.

PS:
    A person has to have a clear brain when doing things like enable something to disable another thing. ;)

19. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Grateful for some help here. I am trying to update my sister's Win7 Home system remotely by Team Viewer.
    The last Important security updates were in April 2016 when everything updated properly. Since then it had downloaded the MSE Definition Updates regularly but no more Security updates.Throughout it has always been set to Automatic updates.

Today I found this article http://www.infoworld.com/article/31...steps-to-speed-up-windows-7-update-scans.html and managed to install the only missing update of the five KBs that are listed there (KB3164033).

I then downloaded the July Rollup KB3172605 recommended here: http://wu.krelay.de/en/ but have failed to get it, or anything else installed. I keep getting the endless loop whenever I try to install any more KB, despite disabling WU as recommended.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you disable Windows Update completely and then *reboot*, you should then be able to install the July Rollup, which will fix the slow update checking issue and everything else related to that.

21. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Thanks Kerodo. I thought that I'd tried that but not sure about WU being "disabled completely". I had stopped in in Services - is that sufficient? If there is a better way, I will try that before rebooting again.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just turning it off the normal way in the GUI should be ok. That, and a reboot. Then when you start up again, it won't run, or be running. That's possibly why you can't get anything installed. Worth a try anyhow... :)

PS - I didn't have to stop it in Services or anything like that....

23. Cache

Cache Registered Member

OK tried that and got the same result. When I try to install July Rollup KB3172605, it starts by saying "Preparing for Installation" and then reverts to "Searching for updates on this computer....." in an endless loop that goes nowhere. It is all so frustrating.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's normally what it does, but the "searching for updates on this computer" part usually just takes a few seconds. Something must be messed up but I have no idea what that would be. Maybe some of the others will have some ideas for you....

25. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Thanks for your help anyway. Love your signature BTW! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.