Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Perhaps this can help:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.info/t...tes-97-stuck?p=1274776&viewfull=1#post1274776

https://forums.mydigitallife.info/t...tes-97-stuck?p=1274780&viewfull=1#post1274780

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Mister X for your quick reply and fix, it really worked as described. It's good to bookmark this Microsoft Update Catalog for future reference. The cumulative update was 431 MB almost half a GB, I wonder how MS can have these huge updates from one month to the other... And sadly we still have update problems. Before my machine got stuck on 45%, in three instances it replied with error 0X8000ffff suggesting to try later...

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wonder if you set it to just get updates only from MS servers (and not p2p setting) if that would help?

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Your're welcome. Glad it works.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

There's a concept and technique from M$ called express delta cab downloads aka express installation files (only via WU).

Express cab contains only the update manifest files + xml file which represent the components delta patch differential index.
    Those are used by WU to identify the original package contents and to determine what components of it are needed for the system so it download them only

i.e.
    if the update are multilingual, it will download only lang resources matching your system

Binary Delta Compression (BDC) technology helps reduce the download size of software update packages for Windows operating systems. BDC works by compressing and downloading only the differences between old files and new files, thereby creating smaller software update packages that require less time and network bandwidth to install. Files downloaded from later versions of Microsoft Windows Update also support the use of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), which asynchronously transfers update files, preserves the responsiveness of other network applications, and automatically resumes file transfers after restarts or network disconnects.

.psf
    The sets of delta files for any given software update package are stored in a patch storage file (PSF) that is hosted on an HTTP 1.1 server. In addition to delta files based on any number of older, previously released versions of the new files, the PSF also contains compressed copies of the updated files. If a given target computer does not have an old file that matches any of the delta files contained in the PSF, a compressed copy of the updated file is downloaded instead of a delta file. This provides a seamless, fault-tolerant mechanism to ensure that all of the new files can be produced on the target computer regardless of its existing configuration. Because each PSF contains all of the compressed new files and many delta files for each new file, the patch storage files are often quite large. However, because each individual installation downloads only the required set of delta files necessary for that target computer, each installation will download only a small fraction of the entire contents of a PSF.

Again, only WU knows how to handle this mechanism.

For example, lets say you have a CU (cumulative update) KBXXXXXX1 already installed. Then a week later comes out KBXXXXX2 (431MB)
    then WU system will compare which files changed from one to another and suppose that difference is about 35MB in size. The rest of files are obviously exactly the same for both CUs, so WU downloads express delta files (35MB) only.
    It would be a major pita and quite impractical to download huge complete CUs every month for every computer among millions over the world.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Darn... I spoke too early. The updates went fine, but just now when I got home and booted up, some Trusted This Or That Host Process started sucking cpu and disk like crazy for quite some time. Then I tried to reboot and see if that would get rid of it, but it stuck on the shutdown for a long time and seemed to have a problem there too. Seems like some bugs possibly. But for now I can't deal with this stuff, so I restored my Win 7 image for now. I'll revisit 10 later.... Just when you think everything is fine, pow! :)

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes, thank you Mister X. That method did indeed work on one machine but I'll let Windows do its own thing on my other when it is ready. I was going to do a clean install on a machine today but it looks like that would be better delayed for another day.

I've never had trouble downloading updates to Win10 before, which is a little odd.
    I only have updates allowed from machines on my local network, but I have my firewall set to Public and File and Printer Sharing disabled so I'm not even sure I would receive updates from my other machine/s.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It looks like the old Internet Explorer 11 seems to be necessary in some cases as with this Microsoft Update Catalog, as I usually turn it off through Windows Features...

9. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Received my Microsoft Office Updates for my OS X. Three minutes from start of download to end of install, no reboot. No problems. :thumb::D

10. guest

guest Guest

They announced that this will be changed, and other browsers can be used for accessing the Microsoft Update Catalog:

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, if they're going to do it "later this summer", then they better get movin'. "This summer" is just about over... ;)

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Better late than never...

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that's for sure. I am surprised that they're going to do it at all, knowing MS.

14. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

http://news.softpedia.com/news/wind...riencing-installation-issues-too-508277.shtml

I had no problem myself with this update but it seems others have.

15. pegas

pegas Registered Member

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I gather that you can only do that using Internet Explorer, is that correct pegas?

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes at this point in time it is only through IE.

18. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I confirm. It paid off me many times to keep IE11 on my Win 10 machine.

19. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I usually wait until the weekend to install the updates but felt like they would be good so installed 6 and the 2 optional plus the MRST for 9 total for the W7 machine.

20. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

No problems here with total 11 updates (including Office) on primary Win 10 1511 laptop.
    Nothing come through yet for the AU laptop.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

bork Tuesday strikes again! KB3189866 has replaced KB3176938 and now includes security updates as well as other bug fixes but still makes an online game unplayable due to major fps drop. why does Microsoft insist on adding so much in to one update and now do enough testing?

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just updated Win 7 with all updates thru September and all is well, no issues. Good to see....

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I got three updates ok today so far but my Win 1067 update (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3189866) has been stalled at 95% download for hours :-(

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

hawki, see #2601 for solution.

25. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Kerodo,
    If I may ask: I wonder whether you, and others with Win 7, got the July Rollup offered again as I did?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.