Booting Rescue Media (CD or Diskette) from Harddisk.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Andreas Henning, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello

I recently bought "True Image 8.0" and "Disk Director 9.0". I'm very happy with both products and both have come in very handy while trying out various linux distributions and setting up my Linux/XP multi-boot system.

What I would like to do now is install the Rescue Media (CD or Diskette Versions) of both products to their own partition on my harddisk and boot them from there.

I do know about secure zone but would much prefer this solution if it is at all doable.

Has anyone else tried and had any luck doing this.

My system:

- AMD64, nForce4
    - Two Harddrives
    - GRUB 0.95 is my Boot Manager
    - Windows XP
    - Debian Linux

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hmm - an interesting proposition. I know of reports of people booting TI of USB-memory sticks. And we know that CD/DVD and diskette works too, so why not from the hard disk? Hmm. Seems like all you need is the right boot loader to pull this off. Hmm.

3. Exact same thing I thought too. I've tried to copy the files from the TI rescue media (Diskette version) to a FAT32 (LBA) partition and tried to load the kernel and ramdisk via GRUB. Unfortunatly, my first attempts have failed miserably.

As far as I can tell, Acronis uses their own proprietary boot loader and I either
    1) can't do the (exact) same thing with GRUB, or
    2) I don't know how to achieve identical behavior with GRUB

I'll try again tomorrow evening and post if I make any progress. Until then any help or recommendations would be greatly appriciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.