Booting from a USB2 DVD drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cerebus, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerebus

Cerebus Guest

I have my internal IDE DVD burner attached to a USB2IDE adaptor so it appears as a USB2 device. It appears as a USB2 High-Speed device to the BIOS and XP.

The Acronis recovery CD boots OK but when I select the option for the FULL mode I get a blank screen after the Acronis logo screen appears. However I can get into TI if I use SAFE mode.

I realize my setup is a bit unusual but I was wondering if a more conventional USB2 external reader/burner would work in FULL mode. Has anyone booted TI in FULL mode from an External USB2 CD/DVD drive? Just curious.

btw, tried this with 2337 and previous versions. All failed to come up in FULL mode.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Yes this works for me using ver 9 build 2323 and a CD burner in a USB2 enclosure.

3. cerebus

cerebus Guest

Thanks for the info. What enclosure are you using? Do you find your reading/burning speeds are equal to IDE speeds?

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Sorry Cerebus ... this topic got pushed so far back that I didn't not see your reply. I actually tried this with two different usb to ide adapters. One is an actual enclosure which does not have a brand name on it and the other is what I call a caseless adapter. It has just the two cables to connect where the power and ribbon cables would normally go. I don't know how else to describe it. If you want to get either one, PM me and I will let you know where I bought them. They were not expensive at all .. less than $20 if I remember rightly.

I did not check for burning with TI since I don't use that feature of TI at all - not reliable.

I have, however, burned DVDs and CDs using Nero. My burner is the NEC 16x 3520, I think. And since I use 8X dvd media, Nero does indicate that it burns at 8X speed. For CDs Nero also indicates the speed for whatever the media is rated at.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cerebus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please try booting with the "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please also check whether your "USB2IDE adaptor" is connected to the PC through a hub. If yes, then please connect it directly.

If the problem still persists then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create sysinfo.txt file for some reason then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the selection screen appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also let us know the exact vendors and models of both your DVD burner and "USB2IDE adaptor".

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.