Boot Volume aND System Volume.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by WindBlade, Apr 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindBlade

WindBlade Registered Member

Hi!
    I heard about FirstDefense and wanted to try it out..
    However, I have C:\ as a main boot volumne formated to 2 GB FAT..
    And another parition as my Windows System volume..

When I tried to install, it gives me the error FDISR requires that Widnows System Volumne be the boot volume..

Is there anything I can do to make FDISR work? Or is there no workarounds or plan by Raxco/Leapfrog to support multi-booting?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR only supports NTFS, nothing else and works only on the system partition, which is usually [C:], where Windows is installed.

Straight from the Help file :

3. WindBlade

Hi. thanks for the prompt reply.. What I meant is that my Windows System IS on NTFS.. but my MBR and Bootloader is on a FAT volume.. My reason for doing that is that in case next time I plan to instlal Linux, I do not have to repartition my whole system..

SO, in this case, FDISR is unable to work?

4. ErikAlbert

Or you contact Raxco's support.
    Or you wait for another member, who knows more than me.
    I'm not the right person to solve your problem. :)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

MBR, bootloader and operating system all have to be on your c: drive I suspect your setup won't work.

Pete

6. WindBlade

Unfortunate but thanks.... :)

Is there any other recommandation anyone can recommand? I saw quite a few posts about RollBackRx and EAZ-Fix? What about ShadowProtect?

7. ErikAlbert

ShadowProtect is an Image Backup software. You always need an Image Backup software to recover your system in the worst scenarios.

FDISR, Eaz-fix (= clone of RollbackRx), ... are Immediate System Recovery softwares with MULTIPLE snapshots, that's not the same as Image Backup. You can consider these softwares as luxury, because they recover your system FASTER but not in all situations.

The question is do you want multiple snapshots or Immediate Recovery Softwares like DeepFreeze, ShadowUser, ... which require less space than FDISR.

I don't know much about multi-bootable systems.
    It seems to me that you have to create a partition [C:] which contains Windows + FDISR + Applications (+ Personal Data) and another partition for Linux and this will work, because this has been done by other users.

I hope you have enough space for all this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  8. WindBlade

Oh okay.. Thanks.. :)
    Then I guesd I have no need for ShadowProtect as I already have ATI..
    Are there any significant advatnage of ShadowProtect over ATI? It seems quite some pros here specifically chose ShadowProtect over ATI.... There must be a reason behind that.. .:)

So, I guess there for Immediate System Recovery software, there is only RollbackRX and FdISR available? There is no other alternatives? I read through the forum and seems like lots of people have problems with RollbackRX version 7.. hmm.. Donno if I can trust Ver 8.. :)

ShadowUser and DeepFreeze sounds very interesting.. But it sounds more like a sandbox that is more for use for public computers where, by default, you don't want to commit changes to the comptuers? Am I right?

My setup is quite simple.. 2 GIG C:\ FAT 16 Boot Partition and D:\ 30 GIG NTFS Windows Partition for all Windows Stuff.. :)

Thanks again for the assistance..

9. ErikAlbert

I think you better post these questions at another forum of Wilders, because this forum is dedicated to FirstDefense-ISR.
    Any other Immediate System Recovery softwares are discussed at this forum :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
    You will get a better reply from users, who actually use these softwares.
    If we continue at this forum, we might get troubles with the moderators.
    It's not the first time a post is closed when we get off topic. :D

10. WindBlade

Lolz.. Thanks.. :D

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Windblade

I use ShadowProtect over ATI, as I just find it more reliable. Also ATI has turned into bloatware, with some rather foolish features.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.