Boot the restore program from disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ClausT, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausT

ClausT Registered Member

Hey

I have taken all the files from the rescue cd and placed them into a new second partition allong with my image file. What do I have to write in windows XP boot.ini so I can boot the restore program directely from the harddrive and not from the CD-rom?

Regards

Claus

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you are thinking of being able to add TI to the XP boot manager script, then I don't think that'll work though a Linux GRUB manager may be able to do the trick. However what you can do is as you have done, make a small bootable partition on your external drive and place the rescue media here. The drawback will be that the drive must be disconnected when you boot Windows normally.

You won't be able to just place the rescue media files on the partition, you need to follow the following steps.

1. Have a formatted FAT32 USB flash drive handy.

2. Assuming you are using TI 11, choose to place the boot media on the flash drive.

3. Once the rescue Media is on the flash drive, test (if computer can boot from USB device) to make sure it works.

4. Make a TI image of the complete flashdrive.

5. Connect up the external drive and 'restore' the boot image to the external drive.

6. If needs be, re-adjust the partitions on the external drive to what you want (80 - 100MB will do for the Acronis part)

7. In Windows Disk Management, if you wish, de-allocate a drive letter for the bootable partition.

8. Your external drive will boot into the rescue environment if connected to your PC at switch on.

The other alternative is to activate the Secure Zone, but as this ought to be on your main drive, this is not the best option for image storing purposes.

Colin

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

However, if ATI is installed you can initiate a restore from within windows and ATI will reboot in Linux and run the restore.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ClausT,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that if you want to be able to boot into Acronis recovery environment from your hard drive, I may recommend you using Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. Please see chapter 3.4 "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide for details. For that purpose alone, Acronis Secure Zone of 100Mb is enough.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.