boot problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by maddawgz, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi firstly a couple of questions..is there a way to protect ur Boot ini or the folder..file.somehow? i have a feeling it was corrputed causing my boot problems? also can service pack 2..cause boot problems thanks maddawgz :eek:

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello maddawgz,

backups of .ini files are in \Windows\pss
    boot.ini.backup
    system.ini.backup
    win.ini.backup

So these can be backed up.

Or, right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings > Edit under System Startup. Copy the boot.ini to notepad and print.

If you think the boot.ini is corrupt, have to use the Recovery Console's
    fixmbr command: Repairs the Master Boot Record or,

bootcfg command: Automatically scans all local disks for Windows installations, configures and repairs entries in the operating system menu (boot.ini)

You need a XP installation disc. RC is one of the options when the install disc comes up.

I've never heard of SP2 damaging the boot.ini file, but then again I suppose it's possible.

Regards - Charles

EDIT: You may not find a boot.ini.backup in the pss folder, that may be for daul boot configurations only - which is what I'm doing, I can't check that right now.

If that's true, copying the boot.ini under the edit in system startup then is your backup.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Thanks ZVC Well i thought it was corrupt turns out my hard drive went capiche!! go figure! Im using the older pc untill i get a new HD ! :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.