boot problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by maddawgz, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi firstly a couple of questions..is there a way to protect ur Boot ini or the folder..file.somehow? i have a feeling it was corrputed causing my boot problems? also can service pack 2..cause boot problems thanks maddawgz :eek:

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello maddawgz,

backups of .ini files are in \Windows\pss
    boot.ini.backup
    system.ini.backup
    win.ini.backup

So these can be backed up.

Or, right click My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery > Settings > Edit under System Startup. Copy the boot.ini to notepad and print.

If you think the boot.ini is corrupt, have to use the Recovery Console's
    fixmbr command: Repairs the Master Boot Record or,

bootcfg command: Automatically scans all local disks for Windows installations, configures and repairs entries in the operating system menu (boot.ini)

You need a XP installation disc. RC is one of the options when the install disc comes up.

I've never heard of SP2 damaging the boot.ini file, but then again I suppose it's possible.

Regards - Charles

EDIT: You may not find a boot.ini.backup in the pss folder, that may be for daul boot configurations only - which is what I'm doing, I can't check that right now.

If that's true, copying the boot.ini under the edit in system startup then is your backup.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Thanks ZVC Well i thought it was corrupt turns out my hard drive went capiche!! go figure! Im using the older pc untill i get a new HD ! :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.