Boot problem and partition problems with XP Pro after restore?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tom_USA, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

This is an issue with True Image 7.0 build 634.

I did a restore of my Windows XP Pro SP2 partition to a vmware machine. The restore worked fine but when I try to boot this partition, I get the BSOD with the technical information "*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF9DCB528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" and the machine reboots. Safe mode and the other modes do not fix it. Normally the 0x7B points to a defective MBR but fixboot and fixmbr did not help fixing this issue.
    I can install XP Pro just fine with a vmware created partition but it also fails to do a fresh installation on the existing (TI created) partition - while copying files it pops up with file copy errors. Mounting that partition to a Linux machine (also vmware) works fine and seems to show all files.

Is there a known problem with how TI creates NTFS partitions? I am now a little bit concerned that the backups that I take of my OS are pretty much useless....

Anybody else who experienced these problems?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

0x0000007B means Inaccessible Boot Device, not bad MBR.

The image you restored in VMWare... is it of a similarly configured VMWare virtual machine? If not (for example you restored the image of a real machine to a VMWare virtual machine, then the above error is not a total surprise.

The fix in that case would be to do a repair install from the Windows XP CD.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2004
  3. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

Thanks for that information!
    This may be the (partial) answer to the problems. I am still wondering why it is not possible to install a brand new XP installation into the partition that has been created by TI.
    Tom

4. Tom_USA

Tom_USA Guest

@wdormann
    Wow, that really fixed the problem! Thanks a lot for finding that for me! I never expected that being a MS problem...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.