Boot off external USB Hard Disk containing Acronis True Image Application & Images ??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mr greek, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr greek

mr greek Registered Member

URGENT:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need to know if this combination of Acronis Products Functionality is possible:

1. I have an external 500GB USB hard disk.
    2. I want to install Acronis True Image Backup (any product variation) on the external 500GB USB hard disk.
    3. I also want to save my Acronis True Image Backup Images onto this external 500GB USB hard disk (I don't care if it requires a separate partition on this external 500GB USB hard disk).
    4. I want to be able to connect this external 500GB USB hard disk to any PC, Server or laptop that supports booting off USB, and I want to be able to boot into the Acronis True Image Backup Application and restore from any of the True Image Backup Images that are on the external 500GB USB hard disk.
    5. In summary, I do not want to use the Acronis Emergency Bootable CD, or USB Stick. I want the whole solution to work off an external USB harddisk.

Is this possibleo_O

Regards.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

As I understand it, Windows cannot currently boot from a USB hard disk drive.

F.

3. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

I have Aximotek which boots from USB. I have used it several times with success on each occasion. I am aware it is expensive but it suits me.
    Lohn

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

5. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

There are some issues with what you are trying to do.

Scenario1: You could install windows and acronis to the USB drive, but you would run into windows copy protection issues when you tried to boot from that environment on different hardware.

Scenario2: A better option would be to use the bootable media creator utility to create a rescue environment on the USB drive. I'm not sure if that is supported, but you might be able to frig it using a recovery CD or iso image.

However, even if you can get this working, you might have further problems, depending upon what you are trying to achieve when you try to restore to the 2nd PC. Look at my post in this NG on "CANNOT Restore to new partition" (sorry, don't know how to create a link). You need to be sure that the restore operation is viable before you waste a lot of time trying to get the USB boot with acronis to work.

Pete K (alias BillyPig)

6. mr greek

mr greek Registered Member

Re: Boot off external USB Hard Disk containing Acronis True Image Application & Image

what is "Aximotek"o_O

7. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mr greek,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that Acronis True Image does not support usb hard drives as a media for bootable version of Acronis True Image.

Please be aware that according to Acronis License Policy you need to purchase one copy of the product for every computer it will be used to manage.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.