Boot issue

Discussion in 'hardware' started by samy, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samy

samy Registered Member

I have a problem booting my PC for the last two weeks.
    I have to press the switch several times (between 6 to 8 times) before the PC boots. The restart is working well.
    What may be the reason

Thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sadly, you told us nothing of your computer, other than it is a PC.

I would start by removing the side panel and ensuring all the power supply connections are secure, and there is not a layer of heat-trapping dust all over the CPU heatsink, fans, and other heat sensitive devices on the motherboard.

If all okay, I would swap in a known good PSU for testing.

While the button switch on the front panel could be failing, they are such simple, low tech devices, they pretty much have to be physically abused and damaged to stop working.

If, however, you think it might be the front panel switch, you can test this by VERY CAREFULLY shorting out the two pins on the motherboard the switch connects too. If it powers up every time, then the switch is probably bad.

Note the Reset switch can be used in place of the power switch, if you move those wires over. But of course, you lose the reset option.

Ensure you observe good ESD precautions before reaching in.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Have you been trying to Overclock? sounds similar to Failed OC attempts. Press delete when the PC Posts, and hit F5 to reset the Bios to Factory Base Clock, then Hit F10 to save and reboot, this may help, I can't guarentee a successful outcome though! as it's just a possibility what may be the problem.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Good point. If overclocking, stop - at least until this is resolved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.