boot error! urgent please

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I was working in Ubuntu and all of a sudden the menus became unresponsive.I made a hard boot and then I was unable to boot.It said ''read error'' ''Please insert.....
    I put the ubuntu rescue cd (was mentioned in this forum) and tried to boot up with that.It booted up and I wrote'' configfile /grub.cfg'' but the kernel menu did not came up.
    I put the ubuntu installation cd booted up but there was no restore option.There were 2 options install and try live cd.I chose try the live cd option.And after that I shut of the PC. When I tried to boot up normally it started as if nothing had happened.
    Now I am really scared and want to find out what happened, if that happens again what am I going to do?
    I do not want to shut of the computer before I understand and correct the reason which caused that.
    I would also like to learn what to do if the system becomes unresponsive again.In Windows we were doing ctrl alt and del.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  2. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I can help with the last issue. Ubuntu used to use ctrl-alt-backspace to log out, but changed it for some reason that people may hit that key combination by accident (?). To restore this combination: system-preferences-keyboard-layout-options-key sequence to kill the X server. Just check the box.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Cet, what bad luck. Looks like you will need to again install grub2 to dev/sda using the live cd.
    Boot with live cd and mount /dev/sda.
    Then do: sudo grub-setup -d /media/49441cd5-35e9-47fb-8934-64809ec75ece/boot/grub /dev/sda

Test to see if you can now boot.

If anyone has further suggestions plse. let Cet know soonest. :)

Edit: If you use rescue cd and enter :

grub> linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    grub> initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img
    grub> boot

do you also get nothing ?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you.I did it.

I clearly remember that: after the last update of stable chrome I saw 2 chrome entries in the internet section.I think first was the one I created and the second appeared after the update.I wanted to use the system-preferences- main menu to clean one of the entries.But clicking on main menu did nothing.I tried it twice and then I tried other menus, all were not responsive.I did not know those key combinations to stop Ubuntu and I put the power off.

I do not have any video drivers.

But as I stated in my first post I was able to boot up again as nothing has happened after using the live cd.I tried to boot up 7 times.Now everything seems okay.I did not restore grub2.
    Something catches my attention.When I click on the system-preferences-main menu it takes some time for the window to come up.

6. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Sorry I didn't see this
    I wonder why the rescue cd doesn't work for you. Did you test it right after making it ?
    Maybe the burn was not good ?
    Could you try again and at the grub prompt type:-
    grub> linux (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
    grub> initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.img
    grub> boot

Regards

7. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok, I will make another rescue cd.

So what will happen after this? Am I supposed to see all the kernels and boot options, and how do I shut of the computer safely after that?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

one thing more you can do if you system hang alt + ctrl + F2 or F3 ......etc till F7 give you cli interface from there you can

type

login root

password

and then init 0 or halt to shutdown system

to get back to gui from command mode user interface

alt + ctrl + F7

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You will see lots of scrolling text (booting text) and then you will boot into Lucid using latest kernel. The configfile /grub.cfg is nicer to use.
    Make a new rescue cd after every kernel update otherwise it will not find core.img

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

If you are not dual booting, which you are not, you won't see a menu, even with the configfile /grub.cfg command.

11. cet

cet Registered Member

After uninstalling the acroread I had the same boot problem.I started with the rescue cd but it said that it could not find the core img(I made it yesterday- it is new) but after trying to start a few times there was a disk check and PC booted again.
    So the rescue cd does not work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.