Boot Disk Failure after restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sgoeckner, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgoeckner

sgoeckner Registered Member

Ok, maybe I messed up, it's possible.

I did an Image (I think, as I can PLUG it and see all the files) but when I restored it to the new drive(which is larger, and partitioned & formatted already NTFS) it won't boot from it. The files are there, I did the restore while installed in another machine as the D: drive.....

Suggestions?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Search here for how to use fixmbr. It might be in one of the "Sticky" posts.

3. sgoeckner

Kick me in the JIMMIES!!

It's right there under READ THIS BEFORE POSTING.....

YOUR help is appreciated. I notice YOU'RE in Brandon....I'm in Valrico.

Hasta!

4. sgoeckner

Ok, tried the MBR & still does not work. What now?

5. dld

dld Registered Member

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sgoeckner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If the workaround suggested by dld does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- What operating system do you use?

- What version and build number of Acronis True Image do you use?

You can find out be going to Help -> About menu in the main program window.

- Have you restored an image of the entire hard drive or an image of a single system partition?

- Describe the way you have restored this image in more detail;

- Have you received any error messages when tried to boot from the new hard drive? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. jakesty

jakesty Registered Member

The drive is not the active partition. Boot to a dos and run fdisk and make the drive active, or use Partition magic to do the same.
    Jake

8. sgoeckner

All-

I reloaded the OS from CD, and transferred his few files and drivers by plugging the image.

I am, however, in the interest of Posterity, going to attempt to duplicate the problem on a spare drive in my own system.

The image was of Win 2000 Pro

More to follow.....

9. sgoeckner

OK, I was brave and did Kawecki's Fix on the same drive after re-writing the image on the native machine(the one it belongs in) from the Acronis repair CD with USB support(thats for my USB external drive).

I did not, however, attempt reboot after writing the image, I just re-booted from the Win98 floppy and executed fdisk /mbr.

Question: Win98 only loaded a ramdrive as c:\ as well as 2 cd-rom drives. No error code was returned once the command was executed. Is it likely that the issue was resolved because:

a: rewriting the image with the drive installed as Primary 0
    or
    b: Kaweckis Fix did it's number

Sorry I did not follow a more scientific approach....

Shaun

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Shaun,

I would say "b". When using Kawecki's Trick, fdisk /mbr doesn't return an error. It merely overwrites the extra 4 bytes of the Master Boot Record containing the DiskID that WinXP/2K's fixmbr can't reach.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.