Boot CD problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mele20, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I am using TI 8. I tried booting from the TI boot CD I made when I had my other XP computer. The computer boots and I see the Welcome to Acronis TI page. Then a message appears "Please wait...." I wait and wait and wait and nothing happens.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I think it is trying to decipher some hardware and it doesn't have the drivers for it. If you have any wireless devices or usb devices, disconnect them temporarily.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you! I can't disconnect all USB devices. That would include my mouse, printer, UPS, etc. and most important the USB drive that the TI image is on.

Should I try making another boot disk? It doesn't matter, does it, that this boot disk was made using TI8 on XP Pro SP1 and I now have XP Pro SP2?

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

How about downloading the Trial Version of TI10 Home. You can do a restore with the Rescue CD.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't want TI 10. I never use the latest in any program. Always way too buggy. Most folks I know using TI say to stay with 8 because it is the most stable and least buggy version. I avoided 9 for the same reasons.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I should have said to disconnect all unnecessary usb devices. It doesn't matter that the CD was made while you had SP1 and now it's SP2. BTW, why does your UPS have a usb connection?

7. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Disconnect your USB drive. Power up the USB drive only when the Acronis Menu comes up.

After selecting Backup or Restore, you should see the USB drive come up in the structure tree (possibly with a drive letter different from the Windows drive letter). If the drive does not come up in the structure tree, in the command line, type in the Windows drive letter for the USB drive, such as E:\ and you could get a drop-down menu of your archive *.tib files.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I should have said it was the PowerChute software for the APC UPSwhich allows me to see the status of things that has the USB connection. It is not absolutely necessary. The UPS will still work with that cable disconnected. I just won't be able to see the history or make any configuration changes, etc.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I will try that. Tomorrow. 3AM here and I'm too sleepy to try it now.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mele20,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. In other words, it does not depend on the hardware configuration of the system it was created on. We would anyway recommend you to have at least one reserve copy of Bootable Rescue CD, just in case the original disc will be lost or damaged for some reason.
    Please also notice that new hardware is being constantly released, and only up to date version of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media will have all necessary drivers.

Please make sure you use the latest build of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating does not solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Note that as you use an older version of Acronis True Image you should press F11 button when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the windows version for a period of 15 days. The standalone version (bootable media) will have only restore function available.

P.S. Please also note that a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE and allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE comes with the Acronis True Image installation and can be found in the
    \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\BartPE folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I already stated that I will not use Acronis 9 or 10 as there are too many bugs in the later versions. I won't touch Vista either partly for that reason.

Bart PE is very difficult to use with Dell computers. It is possible to fix the problem (extremely long thread about how to do it) but tricky and time consuming fix and still may not work. It is really not worth the effort with Dells to try and use Bart PE.

Maybe I should look for other software that is easier to use than TI.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Mele20,

What is the build number of TI 8.0 that you are using?

Regards

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Build number is 937.

14. Menorcaman

O.K. That's the final version of TI8.0.

Did you try the acpi=off noapic (be careful with the syntax!!) workaround suggested by Acronis Support? For TI 8.0 you drop into the Linux kernel command line by booting from the rescue CD and pressing F11 immediately you see the "Starting Acronis Loader...." message. After you get to the kernel command line, leave a space after the word Quiet that you will see is already there and enter the above commands. Make sure your exteral USB HD is connected and powered up and then click OK to proceed to the TI GUI.

If, after the above, you still can't boot into the Linux based rescue environment then I'm afraid TI 8.0 just isn't compatible with your hardware. Unless you are willing to try later versions of TI, there is no way you can add specific hardware device drivers to the bootable rescue CD without going down the BartPE + TI Plugin route. See Mustang's <Beginner's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD with a TI Plugin> for instructions on how to do this.

Regards

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I tried that and all the F11 tapping did was put something like [[231]] over and over on the screen.

TI 8 allows me to back up to my external drive and I can mount that backup as a virtual drive and copy files. That is sufficient. I have only needed to reformat ONCE in EIGHT YEARS and that was because of my utter ignorance as a newbie seven years ago. I can't see the massive amount of time and the horrible headaches that I see daily in this forum just to get something to MAYBE work that you might use once in eight years. It would be easier to just reformat and then copy the files off the external drive. If you are a careful user, you should never need TI. My rule has always been never, ever put anything of importance on a computer. I wanted TI so I didn't have to tweak all my applications again. Well, TI8 is ok for that ...just copy the applications off the external drive all tweaked. Yeah...the concept of TI is fantastic but I know almost no one that it works right for and those who got it working right are just lucky. None of them have Dells or RAID, or hyperthreading CPUs or SATA3 drives, etc.

Maybe 20 years from now imaging will be easy.

16. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

I have a Hyper-Threading CPU (like 2 x 2.4 GHz) and an external CD-ROM plus an external HDD and my full backup/restore works like a charm.

17. Menorcaman

Hello Mele20,

Well, that a new one on me. o_O Either you are doing something wrong or your hardware is unique as I've never seen that symptom reported in this forum. :blink:

All I can say is that you have been very lucky with this approach. Many apps save their configurations in the Windows Registry and via .inf & .cfg files spread across various folders on your system drive.

Rather a sweeping statement don't you think, particularly the bit about users hardware? I'm sure that there are lots of TI users out there who would probably choose to differ, as shown in this recent <poll>.

Acronis stopped updating TI 8.0 and its included device drivers a long time ago. It's therefore somewhat unrealistic to expect your Linux based bootable rescue CD to function correctly on the latest and greatest hardware.

Regards

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I pressed F11 more than once. Each time I pressed it that produced the [[231]]. The numbers might not have been "231" as I didn't write them down. For many months, I kept the image of the old Dell 8300 that I sent back to Dell when they exchanged it under extended warranty for the XPS 600, on the external drive and I used to keep that image mounted as a virtual drive and anytime I wanted something from the old machine I just copied it or just used it from the virtual drive. Stuff like all my documents, I just copied over to this machine. It was neat. Like having two hard drives. I finally had to get rid of the image because the external drive is only 80GB and it would not hold a second full image so I couldn't image this machine until I got rid of the image from the 8300. I even was able to move all my Outlook Express mail into the new Outlook Express on this machine.. that was a hassle though and I don't recall what I did...had to try a bunch of things. I think I copied the OE backup (OE Freebie backup) from the virtual drive to this one and then ran it and it put it all my mail on this OE after I had first set up the same identities in OE that I had on the old machine. The incremental image I did just before sending the 8300 back to Dell never would show when the USB drive was connected to this XPS 600. Only the original fullbackup would show up. Most of the time, the incremental image would not show up when the external drive was connected to the 8300 either. But an incremental image (such as the one I made a couple of weeks ago) shows fine with USB drive connected to the XPS 600 I have now.

I can easily access the incremental image I made a couple of weeks ago as a virtual one on this computer unlike on the 8300. I just explored the incremental image and copied a few documents to my C drive to make sure I could.

I was too broad in my statement and I apologize for that. I know there are many who are very happy with TI. I just hate having to try to learn a whole new version of TI and then run into some problem like Dells and BartPE.

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mele20,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the instructions for creating BartPE plug-in for Acronis True Image 8.0 is differ from the one for Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. The detailed instructions on how to create BartPE plug-in with Acronis True Image 8.0 can be founded here.

Please note that this indicates that the booting process was already stared and the F11 button was pressed to late. You should press F11 button right after the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.