boot cd full mode - tg3 module can't load

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marksman, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marksman

marksman Registered Member

When booting the Rescue CD in full mode, the Linux initialization hangs on the command insmod tg3. This is the driver for the BroadCom network chip (mine is a BroadCom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet chip on the Asus P4PE board).

Using TI 9.1.3718

these are the last lines before it hangs:
    Code:
    $/bin/insmod tg3
    Using /lib/modules/tg3.o
    tg3.c:v3.43f (Jan 9, 2006)
    PCI: Enabling device 02:05.0 (0014->0016)
    and then it freezes.
    Is there any way around this?

2. marksman

marksman Registered Member

Well, for anyone who is having the same problem, I was able to find a workaround.
    I went into my BIOS and disabled the on-board LAN controller. This allowed me to boot up from the CD in full mode.
    Fortunately I don't need any internet connection for my purposes, but at least now I can use my usb drive.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello marksman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I would recommend that you download the latest build (3832) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Please create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media, then boot you computer from the created Bootable CD and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Boot your computer from the Acronis True Image Bootable CD created with the build 3832 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet" and add "tg3=off" parameter (without quotes) to the Linux kernel command line (so it will be "tg3=off");

- Click OK button and select to boot the full version.

- Wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

Collect the the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.