Boost Your Wireless Signal With a Homemade Wifi Extender

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

http://lifehacker.com/software/how-...gnal-with-a-homemade-wifi-extender-296367.php

has anyone tried this? i sometimes have a slight connexion problem with my laptop, but i don't use it much and haven't looked to see where the problem is. i've only got one antenna on my router, i'd like to do an antenna hack with it :ouch:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A couple of years ago I built a parabolic reflector for my linksys wireless and could pick it up a block and a half away.but I didn't feel like broadcasting my internet for a couple of blocks so I took it off and made a highly directional one that worked even better.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

cool, that's what i'm going to do - make it so it works in the garden and in my bed lol. sometimes when i'm trying to watch a film it stops working, i'm going to check and see where it's breaking when it next happens.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you make a directional one, you can even bounce it around a corner useing something like a metal trash can lid. :thumb:

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

lol. i'll have a look for things i can use.

6. SinisterSam

SinisterSam Registered Member

this to my surprise works. i saw this on digg a few days ago and tried it because it looked cool. and i think patrick norton knows his stuff. i didnt see a tremendous boost but it did increase the signal from 61% to 72%. i cant think of any other reason for the boost. in windows the signal is stronger maybe because of acers signalUP tech on my laptop. which i got for my birthday. linux has always reported a 61% link from my room and with this reflector it has increased to 72%.

ya my dad finally convinced me to use linux. which he put on this laptop i got for my birthday. dual boot. ive used it pretty much solely for the last two months. i switched back and forth at first. i didnt want to tell him hes right but i had too. im just a kid and still stupid. i should have believed him. i know better. :-( it does everything i need for FREE!!1!!! :)

he let me leave the the reflector thing on the wireless router i put it on. we have 2 of them. this one i use for surfing the other one my parents use for wireless surtfing and streaming music to the stereo somehow.. too tech for me. my dads a geek. :p i think were one of the few with media servers and a real computer room in the house. server rack and many desktops. a few are old. i think one is just a firewall if that makes sense. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.