Boclean v4.22 Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by peterc, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john2g

john2g Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem. I have emailed Kevin about it.

2. beenieman

beenieman Registered Member

Originally Posted by mercurie
    I've had this problem since 4.21.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2006
  3. controler

controler Guest

Ok people I guess I will wait for the FIX. LOL

I am sure Kev is on it 24-7

4. peterc

peterc Registered Member

Well I isolated my problems to Wormguard so whatever is new in this version 4.22 conflicts with Wormguard.

I could use Wormguard with boclean v4.21 but not this version. I have no problems with PGv3.410 or Nodv 2.51.26.

The CPU has also reduced somewhat but not as low as with v4.21.

The only 'hiccup' is that when manual updating, it is still in the systray next to the start button, but I can manually close it without Boclean shutting down.

Peter :)

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thank You FanJ no need for all of us to fill up the email box. I also note johng2 has sent one as well. I will just wait patiently and monitor the thread here at the Wilders.

I have total belief that it will be addressed by Kevin and Company. Perhaps Nancy or Kevin will post for us. ;)

6. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Kevin thinks that it is related to some changes made for Vista compatability. He is sending me a new EXE to try out/test. I will keep you posted.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You can always count on Kevin & Nancy for support of BOClean.

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

I've got the same message from Kevin as John.
    Kevin will send me too a new exe to test.

Cheers, Jan.

9. Kevin McAleavey

Kevin McAleavey Security Expert

Sorry all for not having time for forums - priorities here are get them nasties first, then handle any emails, try to write code and when everything else that needs to get done is completed, THEN the forums. Needless to say, haven't gotten down to forums in quite a while. :)

We did a change owing to some serious squirreliness in Vista by changing a call to start "sub programs" from a CreateProcess call to a ShellExecute call in order to get rid of an annoying "need administrator password" message from Vista under "user accounts." The call is SUPPOSED to put a BOClean thread on hold until the update completes but for those affected, it just returned even though the update was still ongoing. Upon that return, BOClean automatically reloaded as it always did. Problem of course was that the file wasn't ready when the system told BOClean "it's ready."

Reverted back to the 4.21 way of doing things there. For those playing with Vista, we'll just have to do a separate version for Vista whenever Microsoft determines that it actually works. RC1 is hosed so we just pulled the new handler since Vista isn't real yet. When Microsoft actually RELEASES Vista, we'll just do a special "Vista only" BOClean once it stops bubbling and cools. Heh.

Folks are testing the new build, I'm going to go back and renumber everything to 002 and put together a replacement package which will be available as soon as we can determine that things are as fixed as I believe they are. Stay tuned ...

If someone can relay this to the other forums, it'd be appreciated. Since WCB moderates the "evil cash-mongering vendor" forum, I see no point in going over there and being "deleted by moderator" for showing up.

10. john2g

john2g Registered Member

Kevin's fix works for me. The update updates as it should.

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

(I was thinking first to email Kevin back, but I just saw he and John had already posted.)

Thanks Kevin !!!
    Manually updating working again !!! :) :D

(Will later install on my W98SE box.)

12. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

As Kevin already wrote:
    A new version 4.22.002 will later be announced; stay tuned ;)

13. mercurie

Great service as always and they got their prioritys right too. ;)

Just so I am clear when Vista comes out and some of us eventually get new machines with Vista or load up on our existing machines.

Just as an example of how it might work: We email them and say I have Vista can you send me copy of "Vista only" for my new machine while I of course keep the XP BOCleans on my XP boxes.

Is this how you understand it to be generally?

Certainly not unusual to see that happen with security programs I would think it would be difficult on the creator to maint. seperate BOClean versions. hmm. :doubt:

14. controler

controler Guest

So am I understanding correct?

The new build was for Vista but didn't work so the patch brought the new version back to what 4.21.002? No reason to upgrade to new version?

controler

15. Kevin McAleavey

We'd not want to put people through that effort. Lawd knows when I've asked over the years, "which version of Windows are you running there" when someone's had a problem the response has often been "MICROSOFT windows." ... OKAY ...

So what we MIGHT need to do is what we're doing now - everything in the installer (like the X64/AMD64 stuff) and the installer is smart enough to figure out what to actually install. That's one of the advantages when you write ALL of your own code like we do (including the installer) ... so as far as the person in front of the monitor goes, matters not - we'll do it all for ya. Pain in the butt maintaining it on our end? You betcha. But we don't like our customers to have to suffer ... suffering is OUR job. :)

16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Keep up the good work, Kevin !!!

Lots of thanks to you, Nancy, and all at PSC !

17. Kevin McAleavey

Guess I got a bit too technical there ... no, 4.20 and 4.21 are "dogmeat" and somewhere around the middle of October, 4.21 will be pronounced "dead." Everybody gotta move to 4.22 as a result of new capabilities and deeper "probing" required as a result.

The thing about the "Vista" bits were that we went about starting the excluder and the updater with code that was SUPPOSED to be compatible with Vista and "back-compatible" with earlier versions of Windows. We went to this new code in order to bypass the annoying "you must enter the administrator password to run the updater" message. And mostly, worked fine for most folks. Problem was that some folks who are manually updating were having a problem in that the new "Vista-happy" piece wouldn't "hold" until the update was done and that caused BOClean to fail to wait until the update was finished on some machines.

So what we've done is go back to the earlier internal code which starts the updater until Microsoft decides what Vista's going to be when it grows up. I don't expect them to fix their problem if it works fine on Vista but doesn't on anything else. Once they actually release the swine, we'll see what happens then and put out a new version for that if they don't fix this function we tried in the 001 build. A *lot* of vendors are having all sorts of adventures with Microsoft's demands on how to handle Vista, do what Microsoft tells us to do and end up getting a "wet Bronx handshake" as a result. For OUR customers, reliable is good and that's why we reverted the code that controls the updater. The rest of 4.22 is quite necessary. 4.21 will soon be dead.

Back to the salt mines for me now. (grin)

18. beenieman

beenieman Registered Member

I appreciate all the hard work you guys have done and would like to thank you for such a great product. Cheers.

19. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

UUmmm
    OK
    Yes I got same issues: updating and watching CPU cycle 3-5 times/minute through 99%

Heh, glad evrybody else got it too. Not just me.
    AT first I thought it was an issue with Prevx and BOClean scanning each other.

Where Are we up to?
    Is Kevin and PSC setting up a new dl?

Once again: thanks to NSClean for responding subito!
    Never regretted the $ for 1 minute.

Regards

Bet this wont be the ast time we see relentless difficulties with "non-backward" compatibilities with Vista apps.
    Hope other vendors respond like this .

20. mercurie

Thanks Nancy for the last two postings. I understand now the installer will figure it out. ;)

I also now more completely understand the problem when you responded to controler.

It's good to be enlightened. I wish more security companies shared what was going on like this. It would be even a wise business decision. But I will now go down this path here as it is imo drifting or will cause us to drift off topic. :blink:

21. mercurie

Yep! This is why in my set up you will see AVs change and firewalls will come and go, but one security app. always remains constant. BOClean. ;) :thumb:

22. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Any idea how we gonna get the update??

Ruben

23. e36

e36 Registered Member

Here's my two posts from DSL Reports.com (BBR)http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16983155~days=9999:
    ...and the Keven follow-up

24. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yes and no; it depends at which "001" you look ;)
    But I hope that I don't make things now more complicated ...

"Yes":
    The file you got in the email when you originally asked PSC to send you the new BOClean, was BOC422.001
    See screenshot in reply # 13 in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=148363
    Here the "001" is just a file extension for that file which PSC uses for their installation procedure together with the file decode.exe
    So indeed: "yes".

"No":
    Open your BOClean menu.
    There you see : "BOClean 4.22.001"
    Here "001" is the build-number of BOClean version 4.22
    And for the soon to come new build that will be "002".
    So: "no".

;)

25. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey Jan,

I have yet to "upgrade" from 4.21.002 to 4.22.001. Sounds like perhaps I should wait a little longer for 4.22.002 to be officially released before I reply to the email and ask for the upgrade copy....what do you think?

Also, I notice that it can be sent as an EXE or ZIP (if asked for)....or as an encrypted file with instructions (as standard). I'm guessing that what you showed screenies of (in the OTHER BOClean 4.22 thread) was for the standard "encrypted file"....is that right?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.