BOClean, ewido, and Trojan Hunter

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JRCATES, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

tuatara,

By and large, the AV find more trojans now since they typically get first crack at them.

TDS-3 is clearly the most comprehensive AT offering. I appreciate it for that as well as the associated tools. I realize that many of the tools are available from other avenues, but it's nice to have it all neatly tied together as it is in TDS-3.

As for BOClean, it is currently my realtime AT option and it has blocked trojans missed by my AV (NOD32 prior to the recent ramp up in trojan coverage). As you said, others will have diff. results and I do happen to be one of them.

As with you, I hold licenses to TDS-3, Ewido, and BOClean. All are solid offerings worthy of consideration by anyone. I've never tried TrojanHunter, but it also seems to have a solid following. All these AT's possess somewhat distinct strengths, weaknesses, and license policies at this time and a potential purchaser needs to weigh all these factors in assessing the best solution for their situation.

Blue

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hey Blue (or anyone), have you ran BOClean alongside ewido (or TDS) BOTH in real time, and if so, have you encountered any complications doing this, or have you found them to be compatible that way? Also, how have you found it to be running both in real time on system resources, etc.?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I have both and have used them a few times with Kaspersky, BOClean & Ewido running together and it didn't seem to affect the overall feel & responsivenes, but i can't recommend it for daily use, because the results are unpredictable if they (BOClean & Ewido) finds the same malware. :)

4. BlueZannetti

JRCATES,

When I load TDS-3 for some work, I generally have execution protection enable, so TDS-3 and BOClean are both realtime in this circumstance. I've not noticed any issues.

The current version of TDS-3 is a little heavier than BOClean for some operations, program launch for example, while for others they seem fairly equivalent.

I've never used the Ewido realtime component, there's no reason aside from being quite satisfied with BOClean in that role.

Blue

5. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

For some reason, TDS-3's exec protect hook causes major RAM usage inflation, and it sticks that way. I have seen it soar to over 190mb after opening a big app like Office.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I am running KAV 4.5 as my primary AV/AT. Since it has been installed, nothing has gotten through. This is quite a different from my previous experiences with Norton. So I can say that KAV 4.5, as a stand-alone system provides protection which I consider the gold standard. Other products are very good, but I think KAV is the only one which is really stand-alone against all kinds of malware. I am not sure how they do it, but I think it is just an excellent network for gathering malware and just a lot of effort to update as quickly as possible.

I do have BOClean, Ewido, TDS-3. A-sqaured personal, and Trojan Hunter. I usually run Ewido in real-time, though sometimes I will let BOClean run in real-time alongside Ewido. TDS-3 and TH have, in the past, caused "hang ups" of some sort, when running alongside the other real-time products, so I never have then running in real-time, though they have been life-savers in the past. Particularly TDS-3. If I ever have to clean a friend's machine, the first thing I do is downloard a trial copy of TDS-3 onto their machine, and make a thorough scan and cleaning. Ewido free and KAV trial are the other products I use for cleaning along with HijackThis.

None of the ATs has ever caught anything, since KAV catches pretty much everything. Ewido will sometimes pick up a tracking cookie here and there, but this can also be handled by clearing out the cookie files.

If needed to renew licenses at time (something I don't need to do), I would favor Ewido for real-time and trusty TDS-3 for on-demand.

Rich

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

TDS-3 I recently got..love it better then trojan hunter..and bo clean!! Imho!..i use that and Ewido..and A2 and all is peachy! :D MD

8. achacko

achacko Registered Member

Can someone gimme the download links for the softwares.... Tks

9. BlueZannetti

10. achacko

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

12. BlueZannetti

Well buddy, all I can say is that you should be more specific in your request, I don't see a mention of free only

In addition to the two AT's mentioned by snowbound, Process Guard also has a free option. The others are trial/paid only.

Cheers,

Blue

13. achacko

i just checked the reviews on the softwares... Either they are trial or not Win 98 SE compatible except for a2 freeware version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.