BOClean 4.24 coming soon

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Longboard, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you want to test BOClean you need to execute the malware one by one and you will not see alot of tests (read no one) where the testorg would be prepared to do that with say 400000 samples....not to mention the time to do it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  2. Don Pelotas

....................and some are so hung up on old ineffective yet overhyped programs. :p ;) :)

3. tayres

tayres Guest

LOL :D

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Ok, thanks for the info. I dont know much about how they do when they test things. I just assumed they do just that when they test anti virus for example, in some automated way. And I assumed that eventual testing of boclean was done in the same way. How will they otherwise know how heuristic of an AV works? But maybe there are not that many malware that dont have signatures, so the testing of heuristic wont take that long? Or maybe I am wrong comparing with AV heuristic, which I understand being a sort of memory scanner like Boclean with the differens that Boclean uses signatures when scanning the memory?
    Questions, questions... but I want to learn from anyone willing to share information. :)

5. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Don Pelotas
    You are usually a very measured and insightful poster.
    I am just fanboy for KMcA :D

Define ineffective, and compared to what?
    this info is available where ??

6. Don Pelotas

Insightful..........hmm, thats a first! ;)

Unlike what you & for example Mercurie probably thinks.....i'm not a BOClean basher, i'm simply a critical ex-user who is speaking my mind, there is no malice, i even used to be a bit of a fanboy myself..........i bought it in 2002 i think and used it without questioning it......it was just running in the background without giving a hiss (exept with one nameless AV = three hisses) to perhaps a year ago when i by accident notice it was knocked out cold by an trojan, this made me experiment quite a bit and the results surprised me alot, it has to be mentioned that all samples were detected/removed with ease by such old dying (if you think Kevin's words are gospel) contraptions as Kaspersky and ewido.

This coupled with reading what Kevin has said in forums over these years made me somewhat lurkwarm/critical with regard to the validity of it, there seemed to me to be many contradictions in them...........and yes, i fully understand that these were probably all part of a loosing fight for survival, but still...................

So you and Mercurie can think of me as a basher, but i'm really just a very critical person who have read too many "strange" posts (IMO) by Kevin....coupled with my own experiences with BOClean, i will wait with interest and see when a new version..i mean a new, not just a patched 4.21 to 4.22 or 4.23 to 4.24build with absolutely nothing new in it, no i mean a new version with all those technologies Kevin claims to have on the table really does in fact come. :)

P.s. I got more than my monies worth regarding my BOClean purchase and never really understood why they didn't go over to a subscription based system even if Kevin had sort of put them in the corner with all those posts saying they never would, 1½ year ago i would have bought a 3 year sub without thinking twice about it just to support a small company.

7. Longboard

:cool: :thumb:

Ahhhh: that's more like it :)

"Basher" never used the term lol

Yes
    Live in hope

You're not alone; I suspect even that would not have been enough as the "true" story has emerged over the last few months. Kevin might need Nancy to, hmm, apply a little editorial lately lol. He has made a bit of a booboo with his latest rant about DSL imo he should offer a correction.

Regards

PS I know it doesn't really mean anything objectively but BOC was top of the AT list at DSLR for the last 2 years.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just a few comments from an on-again/off-again BOClean user:
    • What really matters in the long term is the program that comes after V4.24, and that will be some ways off. Perhaps months, perhaps longer. There will be no fundamental shifts in the short term, and there need to be some fundamental shifts to stay with the pack.
    • The recent false positive issue was a major disappointment to me. I realize that some of the major issues surrounding it (lack of rapid response to the situation; slow remedial action on the shortfall) were partially a by-product of the merging of two groups, but it was badly managed all around.
    • Don is right about Kevin's rants - they add more noise than clarification. Occasionally they provide some context on the legacy social evolution of the product and/or market, other times they're nothing more than an unseemly railing against the current market circumstances. If I want some entertainment from a Dennis Miller or Hunter S Thompson style rant, I can get them elsewhere and they're a lot more entertaining to boot.
    • Some major products now offer either technically similar or functionally competitive approaches that fill the gap once occupied by BOClean. This is a market reality that cannot be underemphasized. However, ...
    • BOClean provides a very compatible application platform. On can argue whether a functional advantage is accrued in using BOClean, but in my own experience, the downsides are very minimal. Unless you're performing hardcore CPU intensive processing, the resource footprint (lag on system responsiveness, process stalls, etc.) is negligible and I've never experienced a severe incompatibility between BOClean and other products. Since it is now free, there is really no downside to evaluating whether it fits into one's own security paradigm.
    • As was noted here, BOClean's robustness against variable compression/obscuring approaches remains and is a useful characteristic of the product. Of course, other very different schemes can yield the same end result in terms of protection.
    • Since many free options tend to have somewhat lower performance than paid products, the use of BOClean as part of a freeware based remains a useful role, although completely free alternate schemes (say sandboxing, execution firewalling, etc.) are now available as well. Some of the latter options require a much better understanding of PC operations to be profitably used while BOClean is quite suitable for a completely novice user. Set-it-and-forget-it has merits.
    Perhaps Comodo will be able to take BOClean to the next level, perhaps not. If they do, it will take a bit of time. In the meantime, the market is not devoid of competing options, there are plenty of solutions in both paid and free categories for a user to employ.

Blue

9. richter

richter Registered Member

BoClean always had strong DSRL userbase. You can find nothing but the best being said about it. Always praised for their support. It's sad to see Kevin badmouthing moderator in such manner and saying threads about BoClean being deleted over there. I have never seen it happening. It makes one wonder who really has issues here. While I personally agree with Don on BOC effectivness and usefulness these days, I had respect towards programmer. His credibility is rapidly eroding. If I were him, I'd stick to coding and bring those never seen before technologies he's promising for next reincarantion and leave PR to someone else.

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

There is surely a long "history" with respect to moderating at that forum and BOClean.

I don't want to go further into that topic because I think it is not appropriate to discuss that here.

BTW: due to personal circumstances I didn't (and don't) have the time to read all recent postings.

11. Longboard

@Blue
    Very nice.
    Agree with all your points. Except for Dennis Miller :p
    :)

Maybe this thread should have been BOClean V5 coming soon.......

Edit: and that's prolly enough from me now

12. richter

FanJ, thanks for explaining it. I've been member for a couple of years and haven't (personally) seen any favourism in BOC case. This is first time I've heard of this accusation as I've read nothing but he praises (as do I read everywhere) about it. Kevin draws some accusation which cannot posibly be DSRL's fault, but I will restrain from commenting as it is getting off topic and is not place to discuss.

To close this I will just say that I agree with BlueZannetti on majority of what he has said.

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I was just about ready to totally blow a fuse.:mad: I had just about had enough of Dons comments with no response to me asking for facts or specific experiences to back up his comments. I kind of felt like he was just throwing a glass bottle of lighted gasoline out and saying o.k. now lets see who comes and puts the fire out.

I have repeatedly asked on these boards for evidence and more detail about how BOClean does a poor job of cleaning as Don has said. They all went unanswered. Now he sits back and talks about how he is just a "critical exuser". Well, how about sharing some of that critical exuser knowledge with the rest of us.

For the record:
    I am concerned about the sale of BOClean to Comodo and am watching it carefully. The application may be due for an overhaul...I don't know I will leave that to others to decide. I have also said I have a plan B, AVG Security which includes Ewido in case things don't work out. I am not a fanboy.

I do not think Don is a BOClean basher. In fact he said something I totally agree with, "i will wait with interest and see when a new version..i mean a new, not just a patched 4.21 to 4.22 or 4.23 to 4.24build with absolutely nothing new in it," We are in agreement on that. That is at least nothing new to address the concerns many have raised. Again BOClean is one app. not a total security solution...never has and will not likely ever to be one.

Anyway reading the other posts after Dons last one calmed me a little. :)

BUT, I did want to set the record straight :cautious:

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I agree Kevin in the Lab, and let Nancy do the PR. Just my thoughts based on years of observation. ;)

15. malformed

malformed Former Poster

Sadly, there won't be any significant change or further development with BOclean [Don't hold your breath] --- there isn't any need for such products [dedicated AT] in todays market [or Anti-Spyware for that matter] - AVs have that market covered more than sufficiently - It is Yesterday. IMO the necessity of commercial AVs is even questionable for anyone conscious of security, as their risks really are negligible.

The one product that had some worth is now gone [TDS] ... it offered more than just being an AT. Truly that dedicated industry died the same day TDS's meet it's demise.

I can't believe the disappointment I felt the day Boclean became freeware and I was free to try it. Simply the hype was much ado about absolutely nothing. Sadly it was a complete waste of time, a relic from the time Back Orifice.

Kevin continues to evade the questions posed by NTL.

16. Don Pelotas

.......................because Mercurie, would you believe me if i told you precisely what i did to end up not thinking the world of BOClean in it's present state after having used it for years.........or would you then just say "Could you please direct me to a test verifying what YOU claim, Don!" or simply belittle my "findings"? .............and around we would go again with no common ground found, some will praise BOClean endlessly without much more than beliefs and will get worked up by those that perhaps find certain things a bit strange regarding the BOClean saga, it beats me why this happens? I mean it's just an app like everyone else and if it dissappears from the scene, so be it......it happens to both good and bad programs all the time and life goes on.

Why am i the only one who will make you so defensive regarding BOClean, there is no shortage of bashers around the net and i'm hardly in the negative group? feel free to PM me blowing a fuse, i'm actually both a very nice & friendly person and a nice person like yourself couldn't possibly say something i haven't seen before in some of the idiot PM's i as any moderator receive from time to time. :)

17. BlueZannetti

To all:

Focus on the topic, not the people posting in the thread.

Please take any personal discussions to PM, thanks in advance.

Blue

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

When 4.24 arrives i'll fire BOClean up again and take it for a spin.Shut it down because it gave me very high CPU 80-100% and at times locked up my system because of this.Always liked BOClean.(still have 4.22) Tried the excluder in boclean worked at first it seemed then not. Looking forward for the next version cause I always kinda liked it.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Wow. You are SO WRONG. You do disrespect not only for Kevin, but for EVERY SINGLE DSLR MEMBER WHO HAS SUFFERED SO MUCH at the Security forum moderator's hands because of their unwavering support of BoClean. Kevin has told the truth. How dare you say no positive posts were deleted, no threads were deleted, no members, including MVM's, were not repeatedly punished at dslr for refusing to stop posting postive comments about BoClean. Of course, the affected members were truly silenced (for awhile and then punished again when they bravely spoke up again). I guess you wouldn't know unless you had proved yourself worthy of being admitted to the Boclean "underground" group where you would have learned what was really going on there.

No wonder Kevin's frustration as where can we post the truth (other than a lot was posted at Kevin's blog by many of us). I suppose you didn't read the blog or you would not have made your remarks. Of course, the blog no longer exists. Maybe Melih will allow all of this to come out over at Comodo but sadly probably not because of the legal implications.

I know this post is almost certain to meet with mod/owner disapproval and will probably be deleted or snipped so heavily as to be meaningless. But I simply cannot let such ignorant, untruthful remarks stand without some attempt at correction. I understand the mods/owners not wanting criticism here of other site's moderation. On the other hand though, it is not ethically right to allow your post but no rebuttal. .

20. BlueZannetti

Let me expand on my previous post...

Focus on the topic, not the people posting in the thread, or anyone else for that matter.

Blue

21. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Staying on topic of the program and its author: Once I saw Kevin admit that he has paid for favorable reviews, and has the check stubs to prove it, I lost all respect for him and his company. I know that I am not alone....

Some things are better left unsaid. :thumbd:

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Maybe you should educate yourself a little better on the subject instead of repeating mindless nothings that others picked up from who knows where because they too didn't educate themselves. On the surface, what you said is true...but doesn't reflect what really happened.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Clock is kicking, second and second closer to the release of 4.24. let us wait until then to make your comments. Perhaps its appearance WILL silence some critics, who knows. Besides, BOClean is NOW freeware,use it as you WILL or else. Eh? BTW, are you commenting the software or trying to assassinate the author by the culture-revolutionary style (digging out old laundry)? Take care.

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Mindless nothings? How about straight from the horses mouth? http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,9105.msg66627.html#msg66627

Kevin McAleavey
    Administrator
    Comodo Family Member

According to Kevin, it did happen. Care to offer a rebuttal on this one?

25. richter

It was pointed out by FranJ, I thanked him for correcting me on that. It was not a statement but my observation as a member of 3 years.

If it is interpreted as disrespect it's only because of my ignorance of history, not as something personal towards anyone.

I never said he did not. I just said that I did not see it. I was corrected. All is well. With other things I disagree but that's something I will talk in private.

Never did. I was not aware of its existence in the first place. I do have many interests besides security products to keep track of relationship between online forums, members, vendors. I formed opinion on my observation, which appears to be wrong and known to handful of members who have been around enough to know it. That is another story. I'm more interested in a product evolution rather than history. I can only comment on what *little* I know.

Apologies to moderator for being off topic. If needed to delete it. Any further discussion will be done via PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.