bluetack host file error

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FluxGFX, Oct 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi folks,

This is what I stumbled upon... take a quick look and check for yourself.

~Mod edit....Please follow this link to view complete Blog concerning this matter....Bubba~

This was taken from http://www.mntolympus.org/. This goes to show that it is note quite reliable as one would think. I did check myself and Phant0m`` website was listed in the list. Will send an email at bluetack and see what come out of it.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It could be a mistake of course, but I also wonder which rules Bluetack has to blacklist a website in their huge HOSTS file.
    I've read at least one post at Wilders where a member visited a website for years without troubles, which was also blacklisted in the Bluetack Hosts File.
    I hope Bluetack doesn't blacklist websites for having tracking cookies only, because that would be too paranoid. :)

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

My site doesn't even do tracking cookies either.. :mad:

4. FluxGFX

Hi Erik,

No kidding. I'm hoping that this can be resolved fast.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

5. ErikAlbert

You're lucky your site isn't blacklisted in MVPS HOSTS File.
    I sincerely hope, like FluxGFX, that Bluetack correct their error ASAP.
    They should pay you for the damage, but that won't happen.

6. FluxGFX

wishfull thinking!

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello FluxGFX & "Happy Thanksgiving"

Regarding Bluetacks host file, I choose not to use or support them as they are thiefs! See:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=87769

Also when I did use Bluetack, it gave me many problems. Netflix for example is/was banned, at one point CNN was a banned site.

MVPS IMHO is the way to go!

Take care
    rico

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I noticed this some time ago to with Phantom's site. Since I use there HOSTS file manager, it was a snap to get rid of the problem.

Cheers,

Trooper

9. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Sorry Phant0m , will be fixed soon.

Ok from what I know, mntolympus.org is listed on the SWW rogues list , and was initially added from that page from the Spyware Shield section [ yes I read the note] , :

Thanks to Bubba also for looking into this.
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=9385&st=30&#entry60810

Kim may also have other reasons for listing it , but we'll get this sorted out

:-*

10. Phant0m

Hi Moore

Thanks, but I have a feeling you weren’t responsible for this, therefore no need to apologize…

And my gratitude goes out to you and Bubba and everyone else who shown support in some manner…

And I’ll surely be glad to see this corrected, for additional information, and answers to statements that I couldn’t address directly for reasons stated, visit http://www.mntolympus.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=936

11. Phant0m

Well believing is seeing, everyone keeps telling me that my site will be removed from Bluetack HOSTs file, yet it still goes unresolved.

Bluetack is surely shining brightly now, adding my site, a site that has always been clean, no malicious activities, not even a privacy concern, but my site still gets flagged and placed in Bluetack HOSTs file!

Not even once had I been informed by Bluetack that my site had been added to Bluetack HOSTs file, with all the contacts I ‘had’ provided on all the boards, and on my website, not once even an attempt to contact me.

And Bluetack makes it almost impossible to be contacted unless you go through 101 steps, which is freaking ridiculous…

Everything that Bluetack were thought to represent is far the truth, regarding the Bluetack HOSTs file, size is what matters, and getting it out there, and hell to what happens to that guy over there…

Just think me today, some others yesterday and even more tomorrow, for people to get slapped by Bluetack and ...

12. UtOh

UtOh Guest

13. ErikAlbert

Phantom,
    I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU. No way to whitewash this.
    I hope Bluetack learned from this and that blacklisting websites in their Hosts File is a big responsibility and that webmasters should be informed first in order to give them the opportunity to defend themselves, before they get blacklisted. Period.

14. Moore

Moore Registered Member

Phant0m I would be interested to see the proof you have that we are flood attacking your site now.. I dont think your personal attacks are helping any in getting this resolved and there is actually a guests forum on bluetack..

Alternatively you could have just looked up the forums mod team link and sent an admin a pm , would have been a lot less painful and would have been resolved a lot quicker without the need for any insults.
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php?act=Stats&CODE=leaders

Yeah right.. In the majority of cases there is no need to ask the webmaster if they are involved in spyware etc , you can just tell by the files they use to hijack you with lol.. Thanks for your concern though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.