BluePoint Security product Q&A

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BluePointSecurity, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

I tested BPS today. It never ended the first scan. After reboot I tried scanning again. It was stuck again. Then it froze my system. After reboot it happened again. I had to finally uninstall it in safe mode. :(

Could you please check compatibility with DW, Prevx, and Winpatrol?

2. ako

ako Registered Member

I tested BPS, as I think the best security is obtained with a combination of sandboxing (for me now Defencewall 3.0 beta) and whitelisting (for me now Prevx with age/population heuristics "high"). I'm however interested to alternatives to Prevx, as at the moment it does not YET work exactly to the way it should in my opinion (ie. as a true whitelisting anti-executable). The next version 4 may correct this though.

I of course took system backup before testing - just in case....

3. ako

ako Registered Member

Well, this sounds bad! :thumbd:

4. BluePointSecurity

BluePointSecurity Registered Member

Always keep in mind guys the scanning communicates with the cloud. The first scan of your computer may take a few hours depending on your connection speed. If it appears to be frozen it's most likely just taking awhile to scan. After the first initial scan it will complete much faster as we utilize a few caching methods to speed things up. To be honest with you I wouldn't recommend running our product with 3 other security products installed, there's no real point in that. It's not that you can't, just the fact that you'll probably end up with system instability. Our product is really meant to be run as a standalone. If your testing things in a vm, use BluePoint alone, that way you can fairly judge how things are working. BluePoint is perfectly capable of protecting you without any additional products, in fact that was one of the reasons for developing the product.

5. BluePointSecurity

I don't believe Online Armor ++ is considered a true whitelisting solution as far as I'm aware. Leaving out the whitelisting is like leaving your doors unlocked imho.

Most of what makes our product perform so well at prevention (whether we know about the threat or not) is our implemenation of the technology. It's easy to slap a whitelisting or antiexecutable label on a product and call it good. It's quite another to design one that is capable of stopping everything without an infection, including scripts. It baffles me why anyone would run anything other than a whitelisting type of solution (ours or not).

Personally speaking, I have yet to find another product that is able to prevent everything I can throw at it and I'm always looking. Most of the product failures I see in my own lab tests are due to one simple fact; They allow code to execute BEFORE analyzing the executable, this is a big no no. Keep in mind in about 3 lines of code I can wipe an os! If a product allows me to run any code at all unchecked, it's over. I've recently tested a few of the newer "whitelisting" type products out there and that was the result. Nothing official here, just installing products in a vm and attempting to slip things past them (threats i've written in a lab environment).

Just sharing my opinion, I'm a huge fan of the whitelisting approach and have been for many years.

6. BluePointSecurity

ssj100:

Try scanning with the settings set to executables only, that should really speed up the scan.

7. BluePointSecurity

Sounds good, let me know. I do really appreciate everyones efforts to test things out, the product has already improved directly from your efforts! Keep it up!

8. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

Well I was able to get it installed and run a scan without a problem. My issue is the fact that it will not start automatically and it will not enable the protection?

Attached Files:

9. BluePointSecurity

Sent you an email

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i knew it:D i have prevx and bps and same as you when i run a full scan with eitheir oneo_O

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no,no,no BPS alone is fine:cool: fast here using same xp:D i think the problem it's with prevx i think

12. ako

ako Registered Member

I installed BPS into clean, updated virtual machine. Here's the result :mad:
    Perhaps there is still some work to be done :cautious:
    Hopefully it works some day, the idea is very appealing to me.

Attached Files:

• BPS.jpg
      BPS.jpg
      File size:
      127.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. BluePointSecurity

Very strange! I've never seen any issues in a clean vm. It does that right after install? Would you mind sending us the data from the error report -> support@bluepointsecurity.com

We'll be testing prevx and a few other products to make sure they play nice together if possible this week.

14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

With all the good review about this product, and with this site testing it out. Makes me want to buy the product as this site always tells the truth here. But I to run the same good programs as most here do. I can't see paying for this product yet while the bugs are getting worked out here. Maybe later I'll put my money out for it too.

15. BluePointSecurity

I'm having the team ensure BluePoint works with a few of the popular products such as sandboxie, defensewall and prevx. We can't control how other vendors work with us but we'll do our best.

As far as running the product as a standalone you should be fine, most of the issues we've seen are with running multiple products at the same time. While you may be more secure running multiple products, it can be a delicate dance as far as stability goes as many of the products play in the same areas of the os.

I'll keep you posted.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes Blue Point Alone is fine, fast scaning and without freezing:thumb:

17. ako

ako Registered Member

Please put Winpatrol on this list. It is a very handy adminstrative tool against many nasties, as can be seen below :)

Attached Files:

• WP1.jpg
      WP1.jpg
      File size:
      192 KB
      Views:
    • WP2.jpg
      WP2.jpg
      File size:
      163.8 KB
      Views:
  18. ako

ako Registered Member

Born to be optimist? :D

19. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

HOLY ~snip - Possibly Offensive Phrase Removed as per TOS~, ive never seen soooo many startup programs on 1 system ako.... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2009
  20. ako

ako Registered Member

Well, everyone tries to make their software autorun nowadays. :mad:

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

very tru, thats why im always pruning my autoruns and services with WinPatrol since everything tries to auto start as u said. thats why WinPatrol is so irreplaceable for me :)

22. ako

ako Registered Member

Right after install.

Attached Files:

23. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I seem to have been able to fix my original problem with an uninstall and reinstall. I am now seeing the same issue as ako (absent the VM). I am getting the error report during the running or updating of other programs. I ran ccleaner and encountered the error and again when I updated SUPERAntiSpyware (which is not running realtime).o_O

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

My gut reaction to the whitelisting enthusiasm was negative, but I wanted to test before saying anything. Having tested it's still quite negative.

I have a lot on this machine. Right now with only my browser active I have 99 processes running, and it's all stuff I use.

I've tested whitelisting apps like Faronic's Anti-Executable. It works well, but as much as my system changes it was just a pain.

I installed BluePoint with the idea of how it would serve for someone not conversant in security software or all that system aware. Since a reboot wasn't called for at first I didn't. I started trying software and got several unknown program pop up's. At that point I rebooted.

On reboot, half of my startup programs didn't run. I started one manually (Desktop Clock) and got the pop up with the buttons whited out. Had to power reset. Clearly most of the office programs were fine, but half of my utilities generated unknown program alerts. Then I tried my trading programs. To a one, they were all unknown.

This is the problem with "cloud" whitelisting. You can never have a complete list of all the software out there.

So the current solution ends up with two results. Either someone blocks something they shouldn't and has a mess, or they get in the habit of allowing, and end up allowing something they shouldn't.

I think Bluepoint, is fine for users who understand their system and software, but not techie users could get in trouble.

Pete

25. ako

ako Registered Member

I look forward to Prevx 4.0. It could give a reasonably clever (big enough database) white-listing anti-exe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.