BluePoint Security product Q&A

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by BluePointSecurity, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so did it detect the 200 samples or not?thanks

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it will be nice to have a pasword protection againts settings modification:)

3. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

As I have posted before:

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i see:)

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for the scaning settings remenber to change from executables to all files;) and then run the scaner:)

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I watched Matt's videos and I understand the point he and others are trying to make, that an average user won't know whether to allow or deny.

But, the file description is saying it's 'unknown', which means, running an unknown program that isn't common, is a risk right? But average users don't think this way.

I agree the default option should be to 'deny'. And then a user could access the history of deny/blocked applications and decide whether to run this program.

I'm yet to try out this program, but I think it's main strength would be when you're visiting a web page and something tries to load in the background. When you see the allow/block alert, you'd realise something tried to load, click on block and get off the site.

But as jmonge said, give the program a go, provide feedback, and you might end up having a program you've really wanted.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if people dont want an alert notification,just disable it and malware can not run,i am testing this alerting off as we speak i tried to run a malware sample and no totification nothing run and now i am scaning and gues what the scaner pick it up in real time it was on hold :0:)

8. BluePointSecurity

BluePointSecurity Registered Member

Absolutely and this is the way "most" of the infections I see occur.

Again glad to see the testing going on. Keep in mind, you really need to use your best judgement when allowing things outside of a lab/vm. As someone mentioned above, if your surfing around and you see x34532.exe popup with an allow/deny...well hopefully you know what to do there. We may end up changing the way the allow/deny works in the future and we'll have password protection soon.

It's pretty easy to muck things up in the lab by allowing everything then trying to cleanup (not a bad test though).

Just an idea:

Load up a clean VM

Then pass every drive by/malware site you can find attempting to infect the vm (clicking deny of course or set the settings to silent)

and or attempt to run malware from folders on the desktop

That's really the strength of the product, even though the decision is yours, your always given one.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ofcourse drive by downloads are the modern malware attacks of this time:)especially when websites(legit websites)are compromise

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i personally have this silent;) and run a scan later to see what was put in jail:)
    i noticed that when Blue Point is in silent mode,also prevx is silent and when i dont have it silent i get two alets one for Blue Point and the other one from prevx:):)

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i guez matt forgot to explain in his youtube video that BP has a silent mode so papa and mama dont get bother by the pop ups:argh: so matt if you are reading please re-test :D

12. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

1. Is the white-list only based on your own definitions and not on any risky white-listing methods like Digital Signatures?

2. Will it detect malware that disguises itself for example through a picture-file? Discussion about this type of threat was active very recently if not still active.

3. Is blockage of new versions of trusted software completely avoided through your white-listing of trusted vendors?

13. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Which operating systems does it support?

Dave

14. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

From a BluePoint email I received.

"We support Windows XP up through Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)"

ds

15. BluePointSecurity

16. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Few more screenshots...

BluePoint.jpg
    BluePoint 2.jpg
    Bluepoint 3.jpg
    bp4.jpg
    bp5.jpg

17. BluePointSecurity

Saraceno

You beat me to the punch! New version out guys, 1.0.0.66. It will auto update of course, or simply click update.

-Allow/Deny alerts have changed, more informative to the user as to the risk level of the item attempting to execute
    -Overall memory utilization reduced
    -A few issues were corrected when scanning large (100k+) numbers of threats

BluePoint is currently being tested by an independent research firm as we speak, alongside of a handful of other products. Real-time prevention as well as detection rates will be published shortly. I'll let you know as soon as they are released!

Thanks!

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool:thumb: i was about to complain about a memory leak :):),i am running to update to this new version,thanks again:thumb:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this new changes are very cool changes indeed,i noticed that it blocks/deletes malware without the user interaction;) good job buddy:thumb:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes i noticed this also,may be cause the database is on the cloud :):)

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this program is getting better and better in a short time,keep up the good work;)

22. BluePointSecurity

Correct, this delay is dependent on your internet connection speed. Of course, even before the analyzation is complete, the threat never has a chance to execute (unless you override!).

Our license activation process is similar to Microsoft's, we take a look at key hardware, that's how we knew about the vm/when you reinstall the product. No personal information is collected of course!

Glad to see everyone testing things out, hopefully you find it as affective at preventing the nasty stuff as we do!

23. BluePointSecurity

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

From the first article:

I am not sure I'd totally agree with that. Online Armor ++, and it's predecessor Online Armor AV Plus have been doing that.

I release there is a certain degree of hyperbole in marketing, but one should be a bit careful.

Pete

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.