Blocking packets of certain sizes

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lifehacker, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifehacker

lifehacker Registered Member

Does anybody know of a firewall or method to block all packets of a certain file size?

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

You need to have the ability to filter payload of a packet. CHX-I for sure can do this. But I only had a look at the options in payload rules, never actually tried this in practice so I cannot tell if it works as it should. The software seems to be discontinued, so I can't provide a link. Hopefully some other member can.

InJoy firewall can also create payload rules, you may want to have a look at it...

I can't recall exactly, but there are other payload firewalls. Perhaps 8signs? Not sure...

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Im sure im missing something. what good would this d0 ?

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

You may wish to block (an example) certain DNS requests from an IP (your ISP i.e.) while allowing others. There are cases when header information is simply not enough so payload rules expand the granularity of control you have over packets. Whether this will bring any good or not depends on your needs.

Not the actual contents of a packet, that is a duty for DPI (or a proxy firewall), but InJoy will filter packets based on payload size and TTL.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sounds good, I do remember trying Injoy a few years back and liked it. If it does the job, then that might be the solution....

7. lifehacker

lifehacker Registered Member

Thank you very much for the input, Ill try your suggestions out.

Fajo: the reason why I was interested in this is because Im running some game servers off of my computer which can be crashed by using a readily available tool that sends packets of always the same size, and causes the game servers to enter an endless loop. Since most of the people using it are script kiddies, the packets will almost always be of that size. If they can be blocked, my servers will be immune at least for the time being.

8. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Lol sounds like counter strike. or a HL Server to me :argh: anyways thanks for the info never thought of why you would want to do this.

9. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Same problems trying to host SWAT 4 servers ,unfortunatelly i m still looking for a cure to this.Always a kid comes and does something that put the server down.Unfortunatelly i do not know the tool they use so i can counter it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.