Blocked Filetypes

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by WGBeginner, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WGBeginner

WGBeginner Guest

Why is it that if I right-click a blocked filetype and select "open with" (the relevant app) I get a "Warning...blocked" box but if I double click the file it just opens?

2. WGBeginner

WGBeginner Guest

The answer to this, it seems, is that after entering a new blocked filetype in WG you've got to close WG (or reboot?) and then restart it. Phew! now I can block those pesky .wmf files!

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi WG Beginner... :)

Have you tested this yet. I think you will find it does not work[at least not for me] as WG is a 'script' blocker, not a picture format blocking program. It's priority is blocking malicious scripts.

Test it, which I have done, find/copy a .wmf file [add WMF to Blocked List] and see if it will stop it from opening, also I've never yet had to uninstall/close/open/reinstall the protection in WG nor do a reboot when putting in a new script to block, it's always worked immediately.

I found a wmf file, copied it to desktop, added it to the Blocked List in WG, tried an open, and WG did not stop it from opening in Picture/Fax Viewer, so I then immediately changed the extension of that wmf file to .vbs [try it, it will ask do you really want to do this, just say OK] then tried a dbl click on it and immediately WG's warning window came up telling me I was not authorised to run it.

So, I even tried an uninstall of WG protection + reboot after readding WMF, as you posted [*just* to make sure] and the original wmf file would still open in Picture/Fax viewer.

If anyone has different results to mine, please post. As this could be purely an anomaly to me.

Cheers, TAS :)

4. WGBeginner

WGBeginner Guest

Hi Tassie_Devils,

Every time I try to open a .wmf file I'm getting the WG "File Blocked" box. It is also possible to do this with Script Sentry by associating .wmf and .emf filetypes with SS. However, as we all now know the 'magic bytes' http://www.securityelf.org/magicbyte.html problem means this ain't good enough. Probably still worth doing.

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm.. interesting... Yes, you are right, except it still opens when the file is on desktop by itself, but if I put it into a directory and try, it's blocked. Very odd. :doubt:

Cheers, TAS

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Tassie,

First: I missed the whole recent issue about the WMF problem (I was a little while on vacation ;)).
    I still have to read more about it ... :oops:

My first thought was indeed to block it by WG, by adding it to the blocked file-types.

The .wmf file-type is on my system associated with CompuPic Pro.

I tested what you described on my W98SE (Dutch) machine.
    I blocked .wmf in WormGuard.
    Then I copied a .wmf file (IceCreamC.wmf in my Xara3D-sample folder) to my desktop.
    As you see in the screenshot: WormGuard immediately popped up with its warning when I double-left-clicked on it.
    Same thing happens when I do it from its original folder.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.