Block list July 23, 2006

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TNT, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Please note: the list does not include subdomains: an entry for "<site name>.biz" means than any subdomain entry should be automatically banned, so for instance "<example>.<site name>.biz" is not included in the list but should actually be blocked. So this is NOT for Windows hosts files, but it's perfect between others for Squid proxy rules, or to import in Internet Explorer's "restricted zone" with ZonedOut.

The list includes entries from various existing block lists, plus:

- link spam and blog spam sites (sites that were found in guestbooks and forums around the web and which were CLEARLY only used to increase search engine rankings)

- malware-hosting sites (excuding sites that host malware while CLEARLY specifying it is malware)

- sites using exploits

- sites related to known spammers

- some "tracking-cookie" sites (not many)

There are not many IPs, as the inclusion of IPs has been added only recently (before, it was only domains).

Everyone is welcome to test this (such as adding these domains to his own IE "restricted" zone) and give his own impressions, and especially everyone is welcome contributing to this list (I found both IE-SpyAd and Spywareblaster's restricted domains lists to be rather incomplete, that's why I started this thing).

Last update: July 23, 2006

Attached Files:

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks TNT. Got it.

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thank you

4. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

Great list, but what to do with it? I mean, I use nod32, outpost, simpledns, but how can I use thi slist with them? I did not find anything to import a list there or do I misunderstand something?

5. TNT

TNT Registered Member

You can use ZonedOut to import it in the Internet Explorer "Restricted Zone", for instance. We use this same list at work for Squidguard's proxy settings, so that all http access to those domains (and their subdomains) is blocked.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  6. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

I see. I was thinking I can anyhow import this list into my firewall or dns server to block them. I also do not use IE, I use usually firefox.

7. jnugent

jnugent Registered Member

Good looking list! Is there some repository for the latest version of this?
    Thanks,
    Jim

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There is a .txt file attachment at the bottom of TNT's post # 1 above named banned_2006-07-23.txt.

9. TNT

TNT Registered Member

There is not repository (not yet), but I'll post it here every two weeks or 15 days. By the way, the upcoming one includes A LOT of new domains (there's been a major activity in link spamming for malware-loading scripts lately).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.