Block China and Russia

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by treehouse786, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I used to use OA to block Russia and China. I am with the OP in thinking this is a sane policy. These two are in the top ten malicious evildoer states on the net (chill out, I don't mean it literally). I used to block almost the entire top 10 malware hosting nations. Among the biggest crooks are UK & USA, I had to allow these two through.

Malware hosting countries

The Top 10 countries in which users computers run the highest risk of infection via the web

Blocking nations you deem rogue and untrustworthy is the way to go.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I wonder why :rolleyes:. That's right, you discriminately block everything, good and bad.

Back to the good old days of segregation :rolleyes:.

3. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

it seems some of you have misunderstood my reasons, i dont want to block china, russia etc because they host malware. i want to block them because most of the info ACQUIRED by info stealing malware send them to those countries.

of course UK and america HOST malware but the INFO ACQUIRED by malware will not be sent to UK and america as they actually have decent law system in place and the malware authors know this. there will be some exceptions but on the whole this is true, like it or lump it.

so to summarize, all countries host malware, but the money/info extracted by the malware will be sent to far east/russia. fact

@ JL, grow up mate, my computer, my rules

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

cheers for the info :thumb:

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So blind that it's unbelievable. I'm sure America has no cyber criminals, according to Mr. Censorship.

Opinion; data is sent everywhere, that is the fact.

You need to grow out of the last century, when everyone's hiding and fighting. All you're doing is missing out on all of the World Wide Web.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I agree. I'm a tad bored with a lot of cyber moralising. The only trojan I ever got was from a Russian site. If I open a page & see Cyrillic writing these days my heart normally skips a beat & I silently thank Mr Maone for NoScript!

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Same here. There's a big difference in saying most malware is found on websites from certain countries, and talking bad about the countries themselves. Some folks need to come off their high horses. A huge percentage of malware is found on Chinese websites, that's a fact. I'm not a politically correct person, I don't care whose feelings get a little burned when it comes to actual facts. Now, that being said, blocking entire countries is just idiotic and completely over blowing the issue. If you're that scared of malware that you're willing to block millions of people/websites, then honestly you just need to log off the internet and not come back.

8. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I agree with this. I run a web site and have been fighting a spam bot problem for a while and the vast majority of them are either from China or Russia and the former Iron Curtain countries. I would never ban the whole country though.

9. cozofdeath

cozofdeath Registered Member

I've seen up to date charts, if I remember right on CERT, about where all current malware are supposedly originating from. It has a big flash image of the earth and the largest I believe was China or the US. Russia was something like 4%. And Brazil was similar in percentage to Russia. But I really doubt it would matter if you block the countries. When you visit a site or get an email filled with malware it is rarely from a computer in these places. It is actually from servers storing the malware authors infections. The web site you visit that executes an exploit in Java is really doing it from the webserver in probably a different country. The infection you know got on your computer will almost never communicate with that malware authors computer.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Cyber moralizing is here, because some people recommend discriminatory national censorship (imagine doing that in the real world, see the legal issues as well?):
    NoScript doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

11. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

And here is another opinion; 1) I am not allowing my data to be sent to, or through, nations I deem to be proliferating malware 2) Nations I deem rogue ... and yes I mean politically

I'll give you an instance that made me think about why I blocked Russia and China, seeing these two are the topic of this thread. I decided to try a little experiment with Skype and see just how many international connections it makes with a call initiated. A call with Skype to a person in my own nation (UK) and another to someone in USA ... I noticed Skype makes connections out to servers in China and Russia during both calls. I was using Peerblock at the time so I was getting beeps everytime these connections were blocked. I don't care about the technical reasons why Skype connects to China and Russia when I'm calling someone in UK - obviously for functionality I understand it might need to. I don't want it, Skype, to. I am genuinely not comfortable with either nations role in the process - I don't even trust my own nation with matters of privacy - I sure as hell am not with China or Russia. And blocking those two nations doesn't make any difference to the functionality of Skype - It still worked fine. So all this talk about cutting off nations and missing out on the wider internet holds no weight with me. I have got by for 2 years with blocking many nations using OA firewall. So I know you and dw426 are both wrong.

The fact is; my data ... my choice.

You're vocally moralizing about other people's choices.

(not trying to hijack your thread OP, sorry)

12. Daveski17

I don't think that you have fully understood what I was saying. I just think that if someone wants to block an entire country, on their own personal computer, however odd that might seem, they should have the opportunity to do so. I have nothing against the Russian or Chinese people (my great grandmother was Cantonese & I have Russian friends) but these particular countries do have a reputation, justified or otherwise, in having high percentages of malware. The cyber-moralising of this is essentially irrelevant in my opinion.

"There is no moral phenomena at all, only moral interpretation of phenomena."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I once got a trojan from a Russian journal website. I wasn't running NoScript at the time. The trojan was from an infected flash ad. If I had been running NoScript I almost certainly would have not been infected. So yes, NoScript has everything to do with this IMO.

13. Daveski17

LOL, yeah & some of those horses are very high. :D

An extension or device which secures you by blocking the entire Internet, isn't that called Ubuntu? ;)

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

....Ow....:D

@Keyboard Commando: I never said cutting off nations would kill your Skype or your net access..so I can't be wrong, lol. What I said was, cutting them all off because you're afraid of malware is completely stupid and rather pointless. Stupid being an opinion, pointless being a fact.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Ah, good old politics.

I see why you may want privacy from these nations potentially listening in on your conversation, but using it all the time on the entire system for the sake of malware protection is misguided.

My choice is to prevent people from influencing others to censor the Internet out of a global phenomenon.

Yet good old USA and UK epicenters of malware are pardoned eh? Too many good sites blocked, and the same reason should be used for any country.

Of course morals are subjective.

NoScript is indiscriminately whitelists all javascript outside of where it's installed from, browser settings, and the default search engine. Unrelated.

16. Daveski17

There are probably Russians who are tired of getting malware from British & American sites for all I know. However, my experience was to get a trojan on a Russian site after only the second time visiting it. I have a relative who works for a well known European software security company, & he advised me not to surf Russian or Chinese sites if I could help it. This isn't xenophobia, it is precautionary. I wouldn't walk around a deprived inner city area after dark too much either if I could help it.

This is one huge philosophical topic well outside the scope of Wilders. There are many who would argue otherwise about morality. ;)

Maybe, but it was bloody useful!

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh good Lord, is this still going on? :D Block every country you feel is a threat, who really gives a crap? It is the sole system of the OP and they can do whatever the hell they want. I think it's pointless, but I'm not going to bash somebody over the head with political BS to argue against it. Facts are facts, political views about it are just as pointless as blocking entire countries.

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I block access to my system... from my relatives. :D They are threats and therefore should be blocked. :D They aren't a threat to you, though.

Block whatever you think it's a threat. I won't go to China because I fear earthquakes. :eek: Am I being a mean person? :p Then again, considering the amount of hours it would take for the plane to get there, there would be a higher chance of a plane crash. o_O

Isn't it all about odds? :ouch: It's like someone not driving because they fear a crash; then they get shot in their heads. How that's for fate? :argh:

It's an o_O world we're living in.

-edit-

I also wouldn't go to the U.S because of their laws and hurricanes either. So... lol

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hell, I agree with you in regards to U.S laws, and I live there, lol. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but earthquakes are pretty much everywhere, so :D

20. Daveski17

The UK has a lot of tornadoes, but virtually no earthquakes, fortunately most of the tornadoes are off the coast over the ocean.

As for our laws; there are still bridges with signs on them claiming that you can be deported to Australia if you damage the bridge itself ... I keep trying ... :D

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

As I said, it's all about odds. Earthquakes and hurricanes don't happen that often here; heck, we'd more quickly see a plane crash than a hurricane or earthquake.
    But, I remember a earthquake that happened years ago in some other city, and I do remember about a hurricane that happened a few months ago in some other city. They were never hit by such nature events. Until they happened. :eek:

So, one doesn't go to X place to escape earthquakes, and one goes to Y place and gets hit by one. o_O

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Welcome to life on Earth :D

23. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I wonder why a topic with this name still exists :oops:
    As one of the mods mentioned: this is about blocking IP's, why not rename it as such.
    For new and existing visiters/members from those countries or any other country this topic name looks to say at least a bit strange.

Gerard

24. 3inchblue

3inchblue Registered Member

LOL

I block many countries besides china and russia along with blocking ads and spyware sites. I use peerblock as it seems to be fast and efficent.
    My utorrent uses a simple ipfilter dat to block unwanted p2p sites, as it would be almost impossible to run the p2p properly at the same instance with the peerblock's massive blocking.

25. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

time to draw this thread to a close. Thank you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.