Block a shell ink for browser launch in an application

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jasonbourne, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Hi,

How can I block a link that can be launched in an application. In CIS and OA Premium I can block that in the HIPS portion to "not start an application". ESS has this and I place a rule like in CCleaner:

Source application : C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe
    Target Application: Start new application
    Over these applications: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Firefox still launches.

The same thing with KMPLayer but instead of FF it's IE. I placed the IE folder there in the "Over these application" but it still launches.

In CIS, KMPlayer uses COM so I place the block in COM Interfaces in D+. I assume that CCleaner is the same. Where can I plave that in ESS?

In OA Premium I placed it in the Advanced setup and add the broswers and it blocks it from launching.

How can I block such "shell links"(correct...?) in ESS HIPS or the firewall...?

I'd like to be able to restrict such like these in the wiindows of applications other what I need. The kids might use the pc and might accidentally click. You know kids...

I tried to block the URL in KMPLayer but it also launched and connected.

Kindly see images attached.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. jasonbourne

Anyone care to help me with Eset HIPS..? I can block this behavior only in the HIPS right..? I tried in the firewall but unfortunately it did not. Anyone from Eset support to help me on the HIPS thing...please....:(

3. jasonbourne

Finally solved the issue. HERE

It wasn't pleasant taking long turns just to find a solution...Eset support..tsk :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Check if the rule works when an instance of the browser is already running.

5. jasonbourne

I did what you suggested and when a browser is running the rule is invalid. Rule is valid only when a browser is not running. The only option is to block the site in which the link shows.

That's the problem here. Haven't got any help especially from support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.