Blinking taskbar not fixed!!!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by shansmi, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevehal

stevehal Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

An easy solution would be to have an option in the settings that disables updates to the icon! Then you are covered!

2. lecatpuke

lecatpuke Registered Member

STILL not fixed in version 4.0.424.0.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you read my previous post? Then you should understand what's going on and why this is happening. Basicly it's not a problem of ESET, but Windows Vista and certain applications that react oddly on icon refreshing. As I said, the case is still being investigated and we're trying to find a workaround.

4. lecatpuke

I did read your previous post:

I was hoping the future build (424) would have removed that functionality, or made it optional. It didn't, and that's why I reiterated my point. As a paying customer I am doing my part in bringing bugs to the attention of the developers--I can just as easily pay another AV developer for software that doesn't have these problems.

5. Marcos

As I said, it's not a bug in our software, but the odd reaction of certain applications to refreshing the icon. Well, if you deem this a big bug that you cannot live with, you're free to choose whichever AV program you like. Our users are wise and we don't threaten or order them to stay with us forever. If you don't like something and you think that another sofware would suite you better, it's your choice.

6. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

Come now, it may not be ESS software truly at fault but certainly it is aggravating the situation so at least the option to disable whatever is causing this is in order. Would that not make ESS an even better software package? And yes it does affect performance in games and benchmarks.

7. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

So, how does some other taskbar icons, like Windows' network connection icon, which changes according to the network activity, work without causing this...?

8. lecatpuke

It's the icon refresh that causes the reaction, and making icon refresh optional would be a simple solution to the problem. You said it yourself, and it wasn't implemented.

Just fix it and I'll be happy to stay a ESET customer, but this customer service coupled with annoying, unfixed problems are likely to drive myself and others away.

9. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

A bit cranky, aren't we? You've posted four times, were told only 5 days ago that they figured out what the problem was and were looking for a workaround, and now you're stamping your little feet wondering why it's not fixed yet...

Chill.

10. lecatpuke

I've been in contact with customer support long before I decided to post on the forum. Their only answer has been "we're aware of it." Judging by the 3 or 4 other threads on this exact same problem, you'd think they would do something about it. It's kind of discouraging when you see multiple updates come and go and not see them correct something that apparently they know how to fix. It's especially discouraging when their support forum moderators are defensive about updating the status of a bug from version to version.

It's just amusing that you find some satisfaction in policing threads you're not contributing to. Maybe you can go troll somewhere else.

11. Marcos

Actually it took weeks to figure out why this was happening. And eventually it didn't turn out to be a bug in our program, but a wrong reaction of certain applications, including the Vista toolbar. So, not a bug, but we're still investigating the case and trying to find a workaround.

12. mikeblas

mikeblas Registered Member

I use several programs that update their task bar icon without causing the toolbar to flash.

13. Jibse

Jibse Registered Member

Hello,

I have the same problem (flash of the button "start", not regularly, even without any movements of the mouse or any keyboard activity). I have tried many changements in configuration, disabled all residents programs without any success. I am under Vista SP1, I don't use aero. The problem is visible when the taskbar is automatically hidden. My Nod32 version is 417 (french). It seems to me that the problem is linked to Nod32 version 4. I met the problem before and after a complete reinstallation of my machine. I can send to you others informations if you want.

14. meman887

meman887 Registered Member

Here is a similar problem with NOD32 V4 on my Toshiba L300-1BV Notebook with Vista Home Premium, instead of the taskbar blinking the Vista Orb flickers, but on my custom built PC with the same version of Vista, the startbar flickers.

Guess V4 causes slightly different GUI glitches on OEM retail and pre-installed OEM versions, but not like I'm complaining because I know they will sort the issue out eventually. :)

15. MikeMcr

MikeMcr Registered Member

Seems very odd that this is a Vista bug since other icons constantly update without this issue. I assume NOD is not trying to do anything non-standard, like defeat the auto-collapse system tray icon feature?

Has anyone seen this issue on Windows 7 Beta? If so it should be reported to Microsoft as a bug.

16. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

This is fixed in Win7 build 7100.

17. loyukfai

Any news?

18. loyukfai

Anybody out there...?

19. Marcos

As far as I know, that feature was disabled in v. 4.0.437. Give it a whirl to see if that helps.

20. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

So, what else was changed/fixed removed that isn't listed on the changelog? What's the point in a changelog if it just lists generic stuff like "various fixes" and yet doesn't detail anything of any substance?

The changelog might just as well say "here's the new release, we changed a few bits"....

Jim

21. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

This is common in today's software world. Minor changes just don't get passed on to the correct people for addition to changelogs.

22. kremus

kremus Registered Member

Currently we are having a very similar issue except we are on XP. Otherwise it sounds very much like what we had. Ever since we upgraded from v3 to v4, we have had this issue. We are currently running NOD32 AV 4 Biz Edition V4.0.314.0. You said 437 should help but on the web site, i can only find 424 for the Business users. Do you know when 437 will be available or would it be possible to get a link for this?

Thx

23. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

24. kremus

kremus Registered Member

Thx!!! They must have just updated the link since i posted. Downloading now. Hopefully later today i will have some positive results.

25. kremus

kremus Registered Member

No luck. We are going to be calling Level 3 tech support. At this point, I see us going back to ver 3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.