Blank screen need help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kizakisu, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizakisu

kizakisu Registered Member

on my optiplex gx 620 as soon as i started it it will load the dell part but then after that there is nothing therejust a blank screen i can't even go to safty mode can some one pls help me

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. kizakisu

Well i was trying to install vista and it did not go right then vista was restoring my windows but it didnt so when it rebooted it came to a blank screen its a mini tower comp

i don't have a restore cd or anything that came with the comp can you pls help me and i can't send it to dell

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  4. GlobalForce

Two, maybe three or more question's. Were you here (Wilder's) on a system capable of burning cd's (another XP would, convenient)? If asked do you know how to change boot order in BIOS? Was system restore enabled the last few time's it successfully booted? Vi$ta attempt, from cd or net dwnld? Answer ALL please.

Steve

5. kizakisu

no i was not here yes i do know how to change boot order (well i am kinda sure ) i do it is system set up yes system restor did work befor and it was net download i was suppose to burn it to a cd and a use it but i didn't i just mounted it and it started and in the middle of set up it did a restart so it can finish the set up and i guess i could not find the info it needed so it siad vista died not work then it was retoring my settings and it reseed my comp but it cam to a blank screen and now i am stuck so any soulutions

do you think that i can just buy a new hard drive and replace that one you think it will work

i am still wonder if this is a hard drive problem i wonder if i can erase it and start widows over is that posilbei don't mind starting over i can always get the stuff i had back

6. GlobalForce

Change boot order, got it.

System restore was enabled, check.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is the system your currently on XP and does it have a drive capable of burning?

"Do you think that i can just buy a new hard drive and replace that one you think it will work?"

This would take more time to answer. Stick with the above for the moment, OK.

Steve

7. kizakisu

well it was xp and it does have a burn drive but i amnot able to use it i am useing the other comp right now i am not even able to get to a logon part

8. kizakisu

the only thing i am i able to do on that comp is change boot order go to setup and when i unplug my hard drive it wants to reinstall windows xp but then say it can't find a hard drive but when it is pluged in it does not show wndows istall

9. GlobalForce

"Well it was xp and it does have a burn drive but i am not able to use it i am useing the other comp right now i am not even able to get to a logon part."

It's obvious your's isn't available. The above in BOLD is what? XP, Win2K, other? With that, a plan change .... you'll instead need access to either a floppy or flash drive. Yes, no, which? Does your BIOS have the ability to boot from flash?

S

10. GlobalForce

One more thing .... don't be in a panic! Whether it get's fixed today, tommorrow, I'm sure isn't going to matter much. Asking what to do when you don't is simple. Investigation, followed by formulated direction take's time.

Steve

11. kizakisu

it xp but there is a diff this is xp home and the other xp prof and flash i no but floppy i think i can mange to put a floppy drive on this comp mybe andi have another comp it has a floppy drive so is the one that isd broken but it is win 98

12. GlobalForce

XP Home is fine. Can you format the flash meaning, lose whatever might be on it? My thought's moved to flash because the system that you can't get into might need a driver you would be unable to install at the moment. Go into your BIOS and get back whether it can boot from flash or not. We'll take it from there.

S

13. kizakisu

i went to my system set up all was there is boot from cd and boot from floppy

14. kizakisu

well i am not really sure of what you mean o_O

15. GlobalForce

If there's anything on your flash drive can we make it go away? I have a floppy hooked to my laptop but was unusable before first installing a driver. No driver aboard the ailing system, no floppy access unless you let me know you've booted from floppy on that system before?

In BIOS .... you will have listing's for cdrom, hd, floppy I would think. How about usb?
    Oop's, missed two post's back.

Plus, the system that's down and the one your on .... both sp2?

S

16. kizakisu

i am not sure about the flash drive part but it can't boot from a usb it say usb floppy and usb cd-rom i never botted from floppy befor but that comp has allways had a flopy and can boot from one

sp2 hmmmm i dunno
    well the comp i am on right now is sp2 but i am not sure a bout the other one i am guessing it is

17. GlobalForce

What? You don't know!? :D Your's have IE7 installed? The one your on enter sysdm.cpl into a runbox.

S

18. kizakisu

yea it has sp2 but the other one that is down i dunno and on both of then no there is no e7 on it i herad that had problems so i dele it

19. GlobalForce

*Oh yeah, don't uninstall app's .... DELETE'EM! <---- Joke buddy :eek::D

You do have at least one floppy disk we can work with, right?
    Before proceeding, test it's ability by creating one of these - http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

Boot off it, let it settle to an a:\ prompt, then eject, and finally ctrl+alt+delete for a reboot.
    Leave me a yes/no then I'll go ahead and prepare a download with direction's for later on sometime.

Steve

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

If you have not previously formated your hard drive and you are willing to lose any data you now have on your computer. I believe you said you can always get your data back. Some Dells has a restore partition that is accessed at boot-up by holding the <Ctrl> and <F11> keys and then releasing both keys together while booting. This is done just after the F12 prompt. This will destroy all data currently on the computer and restore it to the date of purchase.

21. kizakisu

hmmm i have no floppys with me but i might try what tgell siad

22. GlobalForce

So be it.

Steve

23. kizakisu

well i did not get what tgell siad but it didn't work well i do have a floppy disk but i does not work

24. tgell

tgell Registered Member

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/dellmbr.htm

25. kizakisu

ok ummm

Place diskette in the computer.

Open My Computer, right click the A: drive and click Format.

In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Click Start
    \

ummm how can i get to my comp and the start menuo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.