BlackFog Privacy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by liba, Feb 2, 2018.

1. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

The password manager extension was for Roboform (Everywhere), from Firefox Add-Ons; BFP does not detect the egress on my other Firefox profile where it also installed.

Anyway it is no longer happening with my recreated profile so I am happy.

But no idea if it could be happening on other Windows instances or laptops where I don't have BFP.
    Haven't noticed anything via Glasswire.

2. Darren Williams

Darren Williams Developer

Happy Christmas to everyone. We have posted a special Christmas video titled "Ransomware is coming to town".

https://vimeo.com/493064266

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

An email from BlackFog:

"As we approach the holiday season it’s important to reflect on 2020 and acknowledge what a challenging year it has been on a global scale for everyone.

Like all organizations, BlackFog encountered many challenges navigating through this global pandemic. And whilst it is good to reflect on that, it’s also important to look at the achievements over the year.

In 2020 we were fortunate to have continued growth across the organization, especially in our partner channel. We continued to on-board new partners in new regions globally to help us better position the company for 2021. We were also fortunate to receive industry awards and recognition over the year, namely a Hot Vendor award from leading analyst firm Aragon Research, recognition in the innovative product of the year category in the UK Cyber Security Awards, being named a Top 5 vendor in the privacy and security space by Startus Insights as well as making #94 on the esteemed MSSP Top 250 list.

We also focussed on the continued development of our product which resulted in 33 releases across 5 platforms, in addition we added servers in Ireland, South Africa and the US West Coast. And perhaps most importantly we prevented over 2 million threats for our valued customers.

So as we bid farewell to 2020 we want to take this opportunity to thank you for all for your support over the year, our success would not be possible without our partners, customers and supporters.

We look forward to working with you in the New Year.

Happy Holidays,

Your BlackFog Team "

Well done and thank you, BlackFog team. :thumb:

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

What kind of prog is BlackFog?

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thanks I have some to read I will another cup of coffee;)

8. paulderdash

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://www.blackfog.com/changelog-privacy-win/

10. acid king

acid king Registered Member

BlackFog is a must have for life ..
    Season's greetings to all its users :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Is it hips? I read but couldn't understand

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

BF protects your privacy and helps prevent malware. Here's a screenshot of the settings to give you a bit of an idea what it can do.

Attached Files:

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Interesting.thank you buddy

14. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The "Ransomware is coming to town" Vimeo video did it for me, especially the part where it says: "They're probably already on your device"...looks like they are using scare tactics in an attempt to convincing people to purchase their product - to stick with what I am using already for free.

EDIT:

they also criticize the use of VPN's, which is a head scratcher for me as well.

15. Darren Williams

@wat0114 We purposely only use real facts about what its happening in the world and what we are seeing on a daily basis. I am not sure if you are keeping track of what the Orion hack is, but this precisely what BlackFog is designed for and how the US Government was just breached. I would definitely take a look at a report such as the one from the New York Times. The facts are significantly more alarming than our marketing...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/...russia-hack.html?referringSource=articleShare

On the VPN issue, this is indeed a real problem and we have written about how they don't actually protect your privacy in several blogs. If you are interested we can post the URL's of these too.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  16. X9X

X9X Registered Member

Same here, it's really hard for me to support company that tries to scare people into buying their software..

License management also could use improvements, so we could unlink devices from account, so therebwould be no need to contact support everytime i want to use Blackfog on new device.

AdGuard does this really well from account page.

17. paulderdash

Alerts ... View>Events (BFP Enterprise client)

Threat Detection
    Anonymous Network detected
    Unsafe connection to 163.172.60.25. Blocking. Process -> onedrive.exe Port -> 22067 PID -> 11492

followed by:

Threat Detection
    Anonymous Network detected
    Unsafe connection to 46.105.55.153. Blocking. Process -> filecoauth.exe Port -> 53604 PID -> 24520

Wasn't doing anything in particular ... what could this be - cause for concern, or possible FPs?

Glasswire didn't alert on anything (probably because of BFP block).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  18. Darren Williams

Not sure where you are located but this is Onedrive sending data to France through a colocation server. If you are in the EU thats probably for GDPR purposes, but they should not be trying to hide this with anonymous IP's.

The next major release we will be augmenting many of these events with a lot more data so you can see what is happening yourself. It will part of our Threat Hunting feature.

19. paulderdash

I am located in South Africa ...

Thanks for the info, and ongoing improvements!

20. matra

matra Registered Member

Unfortunately, I have constant reconnecting errors with the Android version Is there a solution to improve this. I use a Pixel 3a with Android 11

21. Darren Williams

22. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

The BFP icon has been missing through the last 2 reboots. If I click on the BFP entry in the Start menu, I get the following popup:

BFP running.png

This led me to look in Task Manager, where indeed Privacy.exe is shown as running. But of course, this means that I cannot get into the GUI to review or change any settings! :(

I can't use the BFP taskbar icon, as the popup suggests, because there is no BFP icon there. :mad: And when clicking on "Customize" in the notification area, the BFP icon isn't offered as a choice to be enabled.

The command line associated with Privacy.exe in Task Manager shows a "/hidden" flag at the end of it. Could this be the reason I'm not seeing the GUI, and if so, then how would one go about changing that flag? I looked under Startup in MSCONFIG but there is no self-evident way to make this kind of change there.

UPDATE: I used CCleaner to modify the BFP command line, removing the "/hidden" flag via the Registry, and then rebooted. The BFP icon is still not showing up, even though Task Manager shows that the /hidden flag is gone. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  23. paulderdash

Have you tried Settings>Personalization>Taskbar>Select which icons appear on the taskbar, to ensure it's set to 'On' - and restart?

24. JEAM

JEAM Registered Member

This is on a Windows 7 system, so there's no Settings applet. But the same window as when clicking Customize in the notification area, can be reached by right-clicking on the desktop, then selecting Personalize>Taskbar and Start Menu, and then clicking on the Customize button under "Notification area." BFP doesn't come up as an option to either show or hide.

It's puzzling that deleting the /hidden flag for Privacy.exe in the Registry seems to have made no difference. Here's an opportunity for improving the BFP user experience: when you click on (for example) Norton or Bit Defender in the Start menu, it opens the GUI for the already running application. BFP could be tweaked to work the same way, instead of telling the user that the program is running and to go to the taskbar icon.

25. Darren Williams

@JEAM You must have something wrong with the install if this is happening as it works exactly as you describe already. I would uninstall it completely, reboot and then reinstall from our web site. We use Windows 7 routinely and it seems to be have fine. I suspect there is problem in the registry that is causing this. Under Windows 7 the icon in the taskbar is registered a little differently than the others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.