BlackFog Privacy

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by liba, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

That will stop the notifications AND cleaning though won't it?

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'll be looking to protect three machines and it looks like my best bet is a 5 machine license at US$85 for 1 year. @Darren Williams , do you ever have specials?

Thanks.

3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

This encourages me to try it too now @Krusty. Likewise I'd be looking to 2-3 licenses, but it'd be too much in sh*thole currency o_O.

4. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes Paul, this latest version is running smoothly here and while it doesn't have a lot to do when I use Firefox, Chrome and Edge are a different matter.

More importantly though, I'm interested in the malware protection BFP can provide, although since it focuses on outbound connections I guess that means your machine will have already been infected.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Darren,

What does, "Terminal Services: Inactive", mean?

6. faircot

faircot Registered Member

I've got access to the Enterprise console for two machines and it works well and easy to configure. I'm not sure if BlackFog would give you a trial but it wouldn't do any harm to ask.

7. paulderdash

:thumb:

8. faircot

faircot Registered Member

If the checkbox is off, is the browser cleaned on the four hour automatic cycle or is that disabled too?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay It installed easily on the desktop. I didn't turn off cleaning and it did wipe out the firefox bookmarks. So I am going to rollback the system and start over. But so far I like what I am seeing.

10. Darren Williams

Darren Williams Developer

Couple of comments.

1. The checkbox actually turns off browser clean. What you actually want is the option, "Mute Browser Clean" which is not in the UI for some reason. Its a registry key. I will have that exposed on the next release. If you set the following key to 1 it will not bug you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BlackFog\BlackFog Privacy\Settings

This is actually part of the Enterprise console settings, see below.

2. Terminal Services mode is designed for large organizations that use Remote Desktop Services for running their desktops. We have a lot of customer sin Europe that setup a lot of Windows Servers and users login to these consoles that way. BlackFog then runs on those servers and protects each login by visualizing the users on the server.

3. Due to the level of interest on users here I would like to offer access to our Enterprise console and a discount of 25% (we plan to release a specific Pro edition at a later date with this console). Use coupon "wilder" on the store and after it processes it I will have accounts reissue the license to the Enterprise edition (since you cannot buy these directly from the store) based on this coupon. They have set it up for expiry in 2 weeks.

Just for reference, the Enterprise console allows you to control the settings of all agents under a single license and provides consolidate reporting and notification mechanisms across machines, to help manage machines en masse.

11. Peter2150

Hi Darren

1. Good move on the licensing.

2. Couple of questions.

Got a good install, and first thing I did was turn off browser cleaning. Then I took at all the security add on's in Firefox mainly Ublock Origin and No Script. Went to a couple of sites and noticed ads I've never seen before. Turn Ublock back on, and ads were gone. 2nd point is I use No script as scripts can be very dangerous, especially Javascripts. I have No Script defaulted so it blocks every thing and then I allow only what I need. Can be a pia. How does Blackfrog handle Javascript?

Thanks,

Pete

12. paulderdash

Darren, to be clear ... if we want to use BFP on two machines, do we need to buy 2 x BFP licenses at $35 each (then less 25% with the coupon), then we will be get the Enterprise console to use across the two machines?

13. paulderdash

So Pete - so did BFP turn off uBO?

14. Darren Williams

If you send me the sites you hit on a private chat Peter I can change that in no time. We maintain our own list and sometimes there are new providers that popup now and then.

By blocking at layer 3 we have the advantage that we don't need to use JS or use any plugins and therefore its is extremely difficult for Anti-ad blockers to stop us. We don't specifically block JS itself, but rather what it tries to connect to, as we find that most web sites don't work without it these days.

Re the licensing, yes the licenses work per machine, so its most economical to buy in packs instead of 1 at a time. The Family Pack for example has 5 licenses. The license is tied to a number of activations basically.

15. Peter2150

No I did.

16. paulderdash

I have Firefox uBO and uMatrix and some other add-ons Cookie Autodelete, Smart HTTPS, CanvasBlocker, Decentraleyes, Temporary Containers ...

Can I leave these enabled?

17. Darren Williams

Sure. But there will be plenty of crossover. As we will do most of this too. But I guess you will be very sure...

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

So if one buys, say the family pack, and enters the coupon "wilders" we will get a 25% discount and we will still have a 5 machine license?

19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Peter, did you change any setting to clean more of FF? I found leaving BFP in its default so it doesn't remove too much. I don't think the Site Preferences setting made any difference to removing bookmarks. I only disabled that so as not to upset SpywareBlaster.

20. Peter2150

Not sure what i did, but bad result, so I restored an image and started over, this time unticking the clean browser on exit. I really don't need it since I use Sandboxie, and it cleans up everything browser related.

21. Darren Williams

Krusty, that is correct regarding the license. The Coupon code is tag for accounts so they know its from you guys and can do the conversion tp the Enterprise.

Re the Bookmarks, the "Site Preferences" stopped deleting the bookmarks for me in FF. Now you might want to uncheck session if you want to see some of your last sessions as well. I can get the team to test it more though to be doubly sure which option is correct.

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hey Darren,

I have BFP installed and running as a trial on three machines but on the third machine when Windows starts and I get the activation window when I click Cancel the tray icon turns red and Network Protection disables. When I click the private eye icon on the bottom right of the GUI it shows License is blank. Does that mean I can't trial on three machines?

Thanks.

23. Darren Williams

You should be able to no problems. It means the Service never started on that machine. Private chat me and we can get it checked out for you.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks. I'll PM you a little later as I'll be busy for a while.

25. paulderdash

Just started testing BFP with Enterprise Console.

In the Enterprise Console, my Firefox 'Site preferences' were On by default ... should that not be Off now with 3.3.2?

Set it Off in Console and saved settings, that's OK, but it is still ticked in Client Forensic panel (greyed out) so I hope bookmarks won't be wiped. Haven't tried restarting computer ...

Events panel in Client does show 'Browser Clean' events for each time I have restarted Firefox. Is that BP (?), because first browser start was with 'Site preferences' still ticked, but bookmarks were not cleaned ...

Bit confused o_O ...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.