Black Ice won't work

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by controler, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Well I just did a fresh install of Windows ME on this machine.
    I am running a Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard with a Intel PIII 500 CPU
    I have NERO 5.0 with newest update, I have Norton 2003, and that is all. I have an Intel 2200 internal DSL modem and I installed Black Ice with AP service enabled.
    Black Ice will NOT stay running more than 30 seconds on this machine.
    I installed trial version 3.5.

Anybody else having this problem?

2. root

root Registered Member

As in shuts down after thirty seconds?
    If so that is a classic symptom of something like Opaserve, but I doubt that you would let that on your system. The other obvious thing is a conflict of some sort.
    I have a suspicion that Norton 2003 conflicts with Outpost from time to time but cannot nail it down yet. I'm not looking to dis Norton, but try to disable it and see what happens. Conflicts are a two way street, so who's to say which should change its ways? Just trying to sort it out, like you.
    Also, you don't have Outpost on that machine, right?
    Oh, one other thought. People that use DSL often are using PPPoE protocol. I have solved several problems with Outpost crashing, not picking up the proper IP, etc, by having the user switch to RASPPPoE. Once people switch, they seem to be delighted with the results.

3. controler

controler Guest

Thanks root :)

The main reason I reformated this machine was to try Black Ice again.

"h, one other thought. People that use DSL often are using PPPoE protocol. I have solved several problems with Outpost crashing, not picking up the proper IP, etc, by having the user switch to RASPPPoE. Once people switch, they seem to be delighted with the results. "

During install of the modem and software they have two options.
    PPPoE and bridged. The only way qwest DSL works is with PPPoE as far as i know. Unless I am missing something again.
    I will try disabling norton and will install Black Ice on another ME machine I have with a ASUS mobo and AMD CPU.
    I alsko have norton on that one at present so we will see ;)

4. controler

controler Guest

Even though Qwest advertises Black Ice as a firewall to use with their DSL service, It don't work.

I tried two completly different machines and it just don't work.
    I haven't had any trouble with any of the other firewalls.
    Outpost, Sygate, KAV, Norton, ect...
    What are the Black Ice people doing so special that it don't work on Qwests DSL service? I would like to know if MSN's service through Qwest is incompatiable with Black Ice also.
    http://www.qwest.com/dsl/customerservice/firewalls.html

BTW this machine does not have Norton on it and doesn't have any other AV or AT. Nice new install also

5. root

root Registered Member

just so you know what RASPPPoE is, check it out, here.
    http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/
    Kind of souped up PPPoE I think.
    It is strange that you can't get BID working on two machines.
    Since the only thing in common is your ISP and they recommend it, I would call them.

6. controler

controler Guest

His driver doesn't stay installed. One thing is this is how the
    network neighborhood looks as created by Qwest
    NDISWAN ->Intel[R] PRO/DSL 2200 Modem - PPPoA.

Robert Schlabbach's driver protocol looks something like this.

NDISWAN -> PPP over Ethernet miniport

PPP over Ethernet Miniport -> PPP over Ethernet Protocol

PPP over Ehternet Protocol -> <nothing>

7. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

Don't use windows me. You are better off with windows 98. Windows Me is the worst OS microsft ever made.

Or maybe upgrade to winxp home. ~minor edit by UNICRON~;)

Dont ask me for it just telling u it is. So please dont edit my post. It has nothing to do with illegeal software know as warez. I was simply stateing a fact. :)

Anyways dont use WinME!!!!!!!

cya,
    Will

post ADMIN edited. Will, do me a favor and don't state those kinds of facts here please.

8. controler

controler Guest

I agree Xp is much better than ME

But I do not aggree that 98 is better than ME.
    I am guessing you do no media work and I still think Xp is better than 2K. however we will always our views :D
    Unicorn? Will this guy be a convert like our Blaze was? ;)

9. controler

controler Guest

I gave up

Life is too short to have this much trouble getting a personal firewall to work. I am guessing it IS something with Qwests protocol and Black Ice's software. If I hear anything different I wll post back.

10. Bull0001

Bull0001 Guest

First, let me say as a fellow Qwest DSL user, you have my full sympathy, though after Qwest went whimpering out of the ISP business, I switched to 4DVision rather than (make sign of the Evil Eye) MSN

I've had problems with Black Ice as well, though it seemed to work well when I first got it (and still had the Qwest ISP). After switching to 4dv, I noticed that my intrusion alerts had dropped to nothing. I now think that this is due to good firewalling by the ISP (I don't get any spam on my two e-mail addresses either), but was alarmed to see that my settings had changed from "Nervous" to the most permissive setting. Recently, I tried Black Ice on a fresh XP install and found it was driving me batty. The Black Ice icon would come up with a red slash over it as if it was disabled, but if I right-clicked on it, everything would be running. Other times, I would get a message saying that Black Ice wasn't running and Would I like to start it? If I answered "Yes," I'd get a message that Black Ice couldn't start as it was already running. Also, Application Protection was constantly asking me if I wanted to allow the same applications to access the Internet, even though I had previously okayed them. I'm not entirely sure, but believe I may have been running a trial version of NAV2003 with this

Last night, after reading this thread, I re-enabled BIP (I'd been running on a trial version of Outpost) and it ran fine through an extended Internet session without any of the above problems.

I'm running it in conjunction with NOD32, TDS-3 and AVG. The modem is an Intel 2100, which I'd guess is pretty much the same as yours. OS is XP on an Athlon 1800/Iwill XP-3333 Mobo/512 MB Kingston 2100 Ram.

Can't give much in the way in specifics, but I know several people who were switched to MSN by Qwest and who've had flakey connection problems. I'll keep running BIP for a while (beats shelling out $40 - $50 for a new firewall) and post if I have any problems.

11. controler

controler Guest

When Qwest tried to force everybody here to switch to MSN, we got peed off and now you have a choice. You can use Qwest or MSN. The convience is your phone and internet bill come from Qwest if you switch to QwestMSN.
    From what I understand, you can't network MSN's service.
    However , if you stay with Qwest, You can use their new protocol with
    is why they switched from the 2100 modem to the 2200 and from the
    Cisco 675 to the Cisco 678 and also now they offer a 4 port Actiontec
    router. This is why I stayed with Qwest and NOT MSN.
    I might take the time to write Qwest about Black Ice and their new protocol.

Intel PRO/DSL 2100 Modem (CAP encoding),

Intel PRO/DSL 2200 Modem (DMT encoding)

12. Bull0001

Bull0001 Guest

Sounds like the protocol might indeed be the problem. Perhaps Qwest support can help you, though my limited dealings with them left me less than inspired.

I've switched Black Ice back off. Although I think the IDS is excellent, the Application Protection could wind up putting me in a home. Although it seems to have learned that Opera can access the Internet, it still prompts on Mozilla every time I start up. Worse are the programs (Windows Media Player for example) that I want to run but not let access the Internet. When they attempt to connect, Application Protection only gives the option to Allow or to Kill the application. Going back and editing is not a practical option due to the sheer volume of applications logged (basicly every executable on the computer in no useful order).

I'm giving Tiny 4.0 a try now, since Outbound protection is my primary concern, and it's Sandbox seems to be well thought of. I may give ZAP 3.5 a shot too, since initial comments seem to be favorable.

13. controler

controler Guest

Taken from the attack-list.csv file . Reads reason for shutdowm =
    OEM NOT INSTALLED? Black Ice support requested some files be sent in. LOG , INI ect. I think we will get to the bottom of this.

#attack-list version: 3
    #File format help at: http://www.networkice.com/Advice/Support/KB/q000018/
    #Severity, timestamp (GMT), issueId, issueName, intruderIp, intruderName, victimIp, victimName, parameters, count, responseLevel, intruderPort, victimPort, packetFlags
    ## 2002-12-04 13:02:26, 26, BlackICE detection started, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:02:26, 14, OEM NOT INSTALLED, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , oem=IntelDSL, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:02:26, 6, Detector Shutdown, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , reason=oem-invalid, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:02:26, 27, BlackICE detection stopped, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:14:30, 26, BlackICE detection started, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:14:30, 14, OEM NOT INSTALLED, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , oem=IntelDSL, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    ## 2002-12-04 13:14:30, 6, Detector Shutdown, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , reason=oem-invalid, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    7, 2002-12-04 13:14:30, 27, BlackICE detection stopped, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    1, 2002-12-04 13:15:41, 26, BlackICE detection started, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    9, 2002-12-04 13:15:41, 14, OEM NOT INSTALLED, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , oem=IntelDSL, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    9, 2002-12-04 13:15:41, 6, Detector Shutdown, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , reason=oem-invalid, 1, , 0, 0, 0x0
    7, 2002-12-04 13:15:41, 27, BlackICE detection stopped, 0.0.0.0, , 0.0.0.0, , , 1, , 0, 0, 0x0

MORE DIGGING :

[FAILURE] This version of BlackICE only runs with the equipment the software came with. Please click the advICE button for more info.

The file 'blackdll.dll' could not be found or is corrupt. Contact Technical Support immediately

Remember , this is the trial download from ISS site.
    Same exact error on two seperate machines.
    The part that bothers me is the part that says, This version of Black Ice only runs with the equipment the software came with. I am sure there will be a simple explanation, right? :D

14. controler

controler Guest

Solved

This problem is solved :D

Here is the deal. Qwest sends out the Intel 2200 modem install disk.
    This same disk comes from Intel. At no time is this mentioned while installing the modem drivers and software.
    Since Black Ice used to be in a partnership with Intel, Intel so kindly installs a Black Ice Registry Key in your registry when you install the modem drivers and modem software, ENEN if you don't and there isn't any choice to install Black Ice.
    The cure is to remove the Regestry Key , open Black Ice trial and ad a newly furnished key from the Black Ice people.

"Dear Customer,

The problem is that you have an Intel modem that includes a BlackICE
    license key in the registry. At one time, we had a partnership with
    Intel for an older version of BlackICE.

Go to Start, then to Run. Type in regedit and this will take you to
    the registry editor.

Click on the + in front of Hkey_local_Machine
    Click on the + in front of Software
    Click on the + in front of Intel
    Click on the + in front of DslSetup
    Click on the + in front of Install
    Delete the folder called: BID

Close the registry editor.

Now, left click on the BlackICE icon and go to Help at the top of the
    screen, then to About BlackICE. Click on Update next to the license key
    and enter the evaluation key number: XXXXXX-XX-XXXXX

This Special Key that Intel so kindly thinks they need to install in your registry while installing their DSL modem should be removed with Spybot S&D in my mind. What do you all think? ( IF YOU DON"T HAVE BLACK ICE INSTALLED. )
    Otherwise, you would be removing a ligit Black Ice Key for your product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.