Bitdefender USB Immunizer

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sm1, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Great!
    Once again, Thanks! :thumb:

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks for letting me know, but please keep the discussion healthy. As "I was not sure" that doesn't in any way imply that I should "uninstall this or any similar products".:ouch:

3. pbust

pbust AV Expert

The point of running on startup and resident mode (even though autorun on the computer itself is disabled) is that users plug in USBs in different computers. So if a family member puts their USB stick on your computer and it gets vaccinated, her USB will be protected when she takes it to an Internet cafe, a friend's computer or any other computer that's infected. It's not only about *your* computer its about all the other computers that the USB will be inserted into.

Re: the BitDefender product, its not really an "immunizer" per se. It simply creates a hidden read-only directory named autorun.inf which can be deleted extremely easily. It is trivial for malware to bypass this so-called protection. I think this type of weak product should not even be released as it gives users a false sense of security when in reality it won't be effective at all with malware which incorporates a pre-infection routine to delete this folder. Same thing applies to other USB vaccination products which can easily be bypassed.

Re: Panda USB Vaccine under NTFS, this is the absolute most secure USB vaccination there is of any USB vaccine tools out there. There is absolutely no way to get rid of the vaccinated autorun.inf except with a format.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thanks for clarifying these issues! :thumb:

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

Yeah. Thanks! :) :thumb:

Hi pbust!! :D

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

7. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Is it going to be better than Panda USB Vaccine?

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

No way to know until it comes out. Unfortunately, Version 1 did not give much protection (in my earlier post I tested it for 5 minutes and felt it wasn't good protection and I am an rank amateur. ;) )

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Definitely. ;)
    Agreed. :thumb:

11. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

There seems to be a new version.
    -http://labs.bitdefender.com/?post_type=post&p=614-

I haven't tried it yet as I am unsure whether it conflicts with KIS 2012 autorun blocking feature which I am using now. The codename is childish:p

12. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Autorun exploit is so 2 years ago we are past the lnk exploit already. Please make ADOBE FLASH AND JAVA IMMUNIZERS!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.