BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Will there be an upgrade to TL (Chrome extension) so that it actually blocks access to URLs, before the user enters it?

I'm asking because there's an experimental Adblock Plus extension that now blocks ads before they're downloaded. That means the extensions API allows it now.

Or, are you going to wait until it hits Chrome stable version?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

TrafficLight does still block things, and give red search results.

3. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

I would like to know if anyone here has been experiencing Internet browsing slowdowns using latest versions of BitDefender TrafficLight?

I am using it with all features enabled, but I have been noticing a few slowdowns on web pages loading like pictures taking some time to load etc.

I have noticed that this slowdown effect is a bit higher on Firefox 7.0.1, on Opera and Chrome the slowdown is just a bit smaller, but yet noticeable.

See you later,

Aeolis

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which websites are they? I've experienced very little, if any, slowdowns.

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

6. Tonzo

Tonzo Registered Member

Not sure, if to like it or not. Kinda hard to find "bad" sites, or at least for me it is[heh]. Anyways, not going to replace WOT with it. Pretty much all the site are "safe" according to this new addon, only WOT classifies them as "unsafe".

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      24 KB
      Views:
  7. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

@J_L: I have tested it using Firefox 7.0.1, FasterFox Lite (to calculate time taken to load the page; I have cleaned the cache before every test) and BitDefender Traffic Light web page (trafficlight.bitdefender.com). The results are below:

1) With everything running: 13.062 s;

2) Disabling BitDefender Traffic Light through the "Power button" on the toolbar: 12.050 s; and

3) Disabling the BitDefender Traffic Light service (using services.msc): 5.060 s;

Overall Internet browsing has become more speedy after stopping BitDefender Traffic Light service, so the main conclusion is: In my setup BitDefender Traffic Light causes Internet Browsing slowdowns.

Please, I hope you can share your experience here and help make BitDefender Traffic Light better, because I think its awesome, but needs to be polished.

Best regards,

Aeolis

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Hello. It's TrafficLight, not "Traffic Light."

The four Web Of Twits metrics shown in your screenies are of the disordered Dumminati of the Stupidocracy and the collective offal of Internet dung beetles. (Unrelated to the search results, not to be dismissed, are the Web surfing guards provided by Phishtank, etc. which can be enjoyed by means other than stooping to wot's demeaning implementation.)

BitDefender bases its results on the technology that consistently places them in the top five of the industry's leader board.

Of the four activities which on TrafficLight is built, the Search Result Analyzer is the fourth in consequence.

Noting that bump in performance after disabling a service just means you need a faster computer. :cool:

9. Aeolis

Aeolis Registered Member

Hello folks,

Dear LODBROK thank you for correcting my ortographic mistake :thumb:.

But could you be a bit more clear and less "poetic" in your considerations? Remember that not all folks here are native english speakers/writers/readers.

And my PC is just good enough, but as BitDefender TrafficLight (now it's right! :cool:) is slowing down the Internet traffic and is NOT slowing down my PC at all I would need a better Internet connection or what is the MAIN POINT here a speed improvement in BitDefender TrafficLight web filtering algorithm.

Well, I do reassure my previous request: Please, I hope you can share your experience here and help make BitDefender Traffic Light better, because I think its awesome, but needs to be polished.

Best regards,

Aeolis

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

No such problems for me, try disabling all add-ons, except TrafficLight. Or a new profile with only TrafficLight installed.

I'm using the extension version, which has no such speed issues.

11. treehouse786

is this with the extension or full install? as i get no slowdowns at all with the extension and major page loading issues with the full installer (i dont even think its a speed issue, the page just does not fully load).

thanks i will try your suggestions

12. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

I've noticed a slowdown using TrafficLight in both Opera and FF.
    As much as twice/half the loading time depending whether it's on or off.
    That is turning it on or off via Services.msc, also.

Google does seem very slow with it - I definitely noticed that, some other pages not so much. BBC news is another site that is noticeably affected. And I have also been experiencing 'buffering' issues when watching BBC iPlayer. I don't know if this is related or not. Next time it happens, I will switch it off and see if the problem re-occurs.

I only recently installed it a week or two ago and I'll persevere with it as it looks an interesting tool with some nice features.

As an example: Google takes les than 3 secs to load with it off and 6 secs to load with it on. (Rough estimates)

This is with the full install if I understand you/remember correctly. I set it up once and it is working on all my browsers (I use Chrome occasionally too). Though I usually use Opera mainly, through Sandboxie.

It's not a blazingly fast laptop, but it does have a Triple-Core 1.8GHz CPU with 4GB of RAM. Obviously this has little to do with it though as these are relative times on the same machine. Unless I have something very wrong.

Still, it is nice that it is so easily turned off or on. So no showstopper for me.

Just a bit of feedback.

13. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

BitDefender TrafficLight Beta's Phishing Filter seems to be giving a lot of False Positives today. I had to turn the Phishing Filter off. Maybe a bad signature update?

14. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Didn't notice any problems here. All browsing activities were smoothly achieved.

15. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The problem seems to have went away. I noticed that the date is showing one day later now. Maybe it was a signature issue.

16. Emetic

Emetic Registered Member

Just did a scan with HitmanPro and it came back with a load of suspicious files - all from the TrafficLight/Plugins_10_73 folder.

I scanned the folder with Comodo, PrevX, SAS and MBAM. All good.

I set it to ignore the files and report the files as good to HitmanPro, but I'm not sure if that went through as my trial period has ended. Does anyone know if you can send those reports if you are not 'up to date'? If not, maybe someone else will who has the full version, if they get the same results.

Apart from that, I have been noticing major slowdowns on my Broadband - Trafficlight seems to shave off a couple of Mbits off my speed. It doesn't seem to do this all the time though and I'm quite happy persevering with it as I have had major problems getting the Panda URL Filter to work (on more than one machine).

It patches a bit of a hole in my security and it is nice to have. Hopefully things will pick up a bit in the speed department.

:thumb:

17. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

I also found no problems with my speed.. o_O o_O o_O

18. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

Just did a scan with HitmanPro and it came back with a load of suspicious files - all from the TrafficLight/Plugins_10_73 folder.

Hitman pro has so many false-positives these days....:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

19. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Just did a quick test on Chromium using the available freebies (Norton DNS, Chrome's own anti-phising, Site Advisor and TrafficLight) which do not take u more room than an icon or teardown tab marker. This excluded all the freebies which install an additional toolbar

Because Chrome updates the local storage every half hour, I had a look to see what could close down the gap. So I used the latest links on malware domain, until Chrome anti-phising started to catch them all, see picture. Bitdefender's cloud responded LATER than Norton's DNS (but way earlier than SiteAdvisor), so I am back to Chrome's phising combined with Trafficlight, because impact on download speed is improved substantially (of traffic light), so replacing siteadvisor for traffic light.

When both Norton and Traffic light blocked, Norton was first. Website means that the download was not blocked (is not implemented in the Chroje plug-in of TrafficLight yet, so that was expected), but the website (or webpage form which was downloaded) itself was blocked.

Because Norton DNS has servers in Amsterdam, like Google (and my ISP), the speed results are more or less simular. Using Norton DNS in the router.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Updated to version 1.24 using new API ? (noticeable faster block display)

21. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

TrafficLight for Chrome has the most up to date data base but my Firefox version is still at Nov 23rd. Also has anyone noticed it takes a few seconds to block a red site using this?

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

my one says last updated saturday, december 3, 2011

norton dns blocks first then trafficlight folllowed by my panda url filter....although if wot has bad ratings also, it'll be the first one to block.....

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

How do I update TL?
    The extension website says the latest version is Dec.5th but mine was last updated on Nov.23rd.

24. treehouse786

just a heads up for those who uninstalled the full version due to slowdowns, dont know if there has been an update but the installer version does not slow down my browsing anymore, really happy with this software :thumb:

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

use check for update above last updated in firefox......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.