BitDefender TrafficLight (BETA): Social Web Security, Re-invented

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

yes, the add-on versions dont scan files for malware, they just do reputation checks on urls.

if you want to scan files then get the full installer

2. guest

guest Guest

The addon version checks the file in the cloud (a user posted the screenshots some pages back), so it's able to detect malware.
    I guess that the difference is that the full version also adds the heuristics to the engine so it's better than just check the definitions and also is able to scan on real time the websites.

3. treehouse786

from my testing, the add on version just checked the actual url and not the file, you can test this by uploading a malware file to rapidshare and by redownloading that file from rapidshare, it never detected it for me which suggests the addon version has no straight up file detection, but then again this was on the previous version, they might have added that in the latest beta. i would still recommend someone try that test again (i am at work so cant at the moment)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. guest

guest Guest

I checked it again and seems that you are right

5. treehouse786

thanks for checking :thumb:

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

does this scans during downloading a program?

7. guest

guest Guest

Yes, It scans the downloaded files but only the full version

8. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

ah thanks man.. will give it a spin..:thumb:

9. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Does the installed TrafficLight scan that same file when attempting to download?

10. treehouse786

yes it would.

the full installer is basically a full on http/https scanner

11. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Great, that's what I was hoping it would be. And so far no problems with the Beta.

12. treehouse786

i really like the software (especially as i dont run a realtime AV) but there seems to be a problem with page loading times/consistency in firefox, although i think its unique to my setup, hopefully the full release will sort it.

13. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I posted this question on the BitDefender forum but I haven't received an answer to my question.

I have a new Windows 7 machine that I am setting up with software.

I am using the full Trafficlight application with DefenseWall, Panda Cloud Pro, Firefox 6, Sandboxie, AdblockPlus, and NoScript.

The only one of these applications that appears to give me a problem with Trafficlight is NoScript.

On most sites, Trafficlight does not appear to work unless I temporarily allow the whole site in NoScript.

Is there a fix (or workaround) in NoScript to allow TrafficLight to run without allowing all javascripts on a page?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

NOTE: I realize that I probably don't need TrafficLight but I'd like to get it to work.

14. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

I have a question, if i install the full version, will i first have to remove the trafficlight extension i've installed on chrome and ff, and then install it or just go ahead with it?

edit : had to remove extensions before install, else they wont be updated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  15. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I also use NoScript and I was thinking of trying Trafficlight. Doesn't it work at all with NoScript or it's just the script scanner? I mean, does it stop to scan the http traffic and the downloaded files too?

16. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AFAIK, Firefox's extensions are developed in JavaScript, right? In that case, just like in Google Chrome, you have to allow JavaScript.

17. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

i'm noticing very slow scanning and the subsequent display of the green mark on google search results today...

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I have seven extensions besides NoScript and all work right with it. And the full version of Trafficlight is not an extension, it's a separate app.

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It was my confusion, then. I had the impression the problem was with the Firefox extension. :D

:thumb:

20. chinook9

Are you saying that the full version of TrafficLight works for you along with NoScript?? If so, did you do anything special to make it work??

21. vojta

vojta Registered Member

No, I haven't tried TrafficLight yet. When I wrote "it" I was meaning NoScript. My original question was ... "I also use NoScript and I was thinking of trying Trafficlight. Doesn't it work at all with NoScript or it's just the script scanner? I mean, does it stop to scan the http traffic and the downloaded files too?"

22. chinook9

I just checked to see if I could determine what parts of TrafficLight are working for me. I had mixed results.

According to the settings I have Ad Filter, Advanced Phishing Filter, Malware Filter, Search Result Analyzer turned on. From what I have read the Ad Filter has not been implemented yet so I did not try to test it.

Having NoScript blocking scripts definitely stops TrafficLight from scanning web pages and the search results.

When I allowed scripts on a page in NoScript, TrafficLight worked to scan the page and give a "TrafficLight" with a some exceptions. I wanted to see what the phishing filter did so I went to BankofAmerica and also PayPal. On both sites, I allowed all scripts but TrafficLight did not appear to work....I got no TrafficLight indication at all for the page and I could not tell if the Phishing Filter was working.

I went to Sandboxie and downloaded the latest version to see if TrafficLight would scan the download. I couldn't tell if it did or not.

When scripts were allowed most search results were scanned by TrafficLight and a green or orange light was given. I tried to find a search result that would give a red light but I couldn't.

I hope this helps. I would like to learn more about TrafficLight because I really like it but I'd like to know that its reliable and does what it supposed to do.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I already run TrafficLight Chrome extension, and would like to install the add-on version for Internet Explorer, but I can't find it.
    I don't want the full installer, just the add-on.
    Surely one exists? :doubt:

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There isn't a standalone add-on for IE as far as I know.

25. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the detailed report! It would be a though choice between TrafficLight and NoScript. I hope that eveything is clearer when it leaves beta phase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.