BitDefender Shuts Down When Updating?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hello.

Why is it when BitDefender updates, it seems to shut down? The BD icon disappears from the taskbar. I know it's only for a few seconds, but if it is shutting down, doesn't the computer become vulnerable when this happens? Just wondering if this is something to worry about.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No, only GUI part shuts down as far as i know. Scanning service remains operational (though it's been long since i tested that). Though i never understood why AV needs to restart on EVERY regular update (program updates are not that unusual). Gets damn annoying since they started hourly updates...

3. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

This is something that needs to be "fixed". I'm sure that the good folks at Softwin don't see any technical reason to change the way that their products update themselves, but it is the one reason that I (and I'm certain more than a few others) won't run their otherwise excellent software.

4. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Now isn't this normal for BD to do this, I know mine does as well. This being BD Pro 9.

I've also noticed when mine does its update, the red ball in the taskbar disapears for about say 5 secs or so and returns. But the Q here is when this ball disapears are we still protected in real time ?

5. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

That's exactly what I was wondering. Are we still protected in real time? If I understand RejZoR correctly, we are.

EDIT....I also asked this at another forum. This is the answer given.....

I have BD on one of my XP boxes. When you update it the bdmcon.exe process restarts. This is the BitDefender Management Console. All the BD background processes keep on running. So I would not worry about it.
    I hope this helps.

So I quess we're ok.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  6. Porland

Porland Guest

well i just installed Bitdefender and i updated it, while i updated it i opened much more program's so when it updates and the icon of bitdefender will dessaphire more then 15 second's then i downloaded eicar-virus test file and thats why i want that the icon will be back in 15 seconds because to test if it can detect viruses while the icon dessaphires, And it can. So you dont have to woried about that!
    You are safed with Bitdefender even if it dessaphires while it updates!
    Cheers.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Exactly the same system-tray icon disappearance is seen with Command AntiVirus during the update process.

In BOTH cases you are still protected by the RTM of each AV.

8. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

That's right, you just remain staying protected :)
    (Confirmed by BitDefender's support).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.