bitdefender or nod32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by theshadow247, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Sure you can, although a little tweaking never hurt ;)
    Despite the guide is awesome & very nicely done, I do like running NOD with my own settings.

But for the casual user, I guess NOD can be a little tricky to setup properly the first time because there are so many different things you can tweak. However, do remember that NOD comes with an excellent help file that explains all aspects of the program, so you are never really truly lost ;)

It's all good though.

2. msu

msu Guest

The answer to your question is also part of the reason I went with BitDender 9.0 over NOD32. The out of the box standard setup of BitDender performs very well. Having two kids in college, my wife's pc and my own pcs, I made my choice on the following criteria:
    1) Does well on the anti-virus test.
    2) Not a resource hog - I don't care how long a scheduled scan takes, I run those overnight, but I do care about impact while using the system
    3) Easy of settup
    4) Easy of use
    5) Stable

I found BitDefender easier to setup and easy to use. Based upon this I choose it over NOD32. I've been running BitDefender 9.0 over a month now on three PCs and have been happy with my choice.

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Acadia .
    A suggestion from an FD user . lol . Buy NOD and use BD 8 free as an on-demand to back it up
    Best of both worlds that way .

Awwww . Come on Taz . POS ?
    AVG ? No way , um , err.....ok,,,, WAYYY

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hollywood, I was about to purchase NOD, when I realized that it was messing up my SECOND favorite program, MacroExpress. It is way too complicated to explain, even to NOD tech support. Everytime I turned NOD off, ME worked just fine, everytime I turned it back on, ME tried to work, you could see it trying on the System Tray Icon, but it just couldn't.

This is ironic: I have now tried KAV, NOD32, f-Secure, and BitDefender, and the only AV that so far is compatible with my system is what I already have -- NAV2005! :eek:

Acadia

EDIT: next on the list, well, McAfee is free for us Comast users, so maybe I'll that next. That's one of many nice things about FirstDefense: I have no fear of trying stuff.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

How about:

DrWeb
    F-Prot
    Pc-Cillin
    avast

There's got to be something else out there. ;)

tD

6. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

The $64.95 is for BD Internet Security Suite. $39.00 for NOD32 is purely an antivirus, so this is why BD costs more.

The BD AV costs less than the NOD32 AV.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, I realized that, see my previous post, thank you.

Acadia

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

LOL. Sorry, but I want something good.

Acadia (As Acadia puts on his flack jacket) :D

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Nope. Blackspears settings are the most secure... go through the changes in the sticky thread and it will become readily apparent which offers the highest level of detection.

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Acadia.

I'm a Comcast customer and a AV butterfly. I go from one AV to another. Right now, I'm taking advantage of the Comcast free McAfee VS 10 offer once again. There are a few things I don't like about McAfee, but I think the good things out weigh the bad. Over all, it runs very nicely on my machine. Give it a try and let us know how you like it.

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

12. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Does it come with their stupid security center which tells you that you aren't protected if you don't have all their stuff install. Arg. I am also a comcast user, but I don't want their stuff, as they are sloppy. When I first installed comcast, I found that their dumb support program, held a port open. That was an easy solve.

Pete

14. Technodrome

Sure...Keep looking.

tD

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter: Yes, it is a full-fledged version with all the good and bad that comes with buying a boxed version off the shelf.

Graystoke: It did not last long on my system. It ran smoothly enough and seemed compatible with everything. But two things made it too annoying to keep. First: I have a 17" LCD monitor and with my "over 50" eyes, I have always used the 120 DPI setting to enlarge the items and text on the Desktop. With McAfee, some of the lines of text, and even the button to do a full system scan, were off the screen; I could not read or use them.

Second: those $%#& activeX dialog boxes were popping up every single time that I want to do even the slightest thing with this program: update, scan, look at options, ANYTHING. Yes, I could have loosened my activeX settings, but I was not about to do that.

Back to the drawing board. So far my two favorites have been NOD and BitDefender, especially BitDefender, if only they were more compatible with my system.

Acadia

16. Technodrome

But you said you want something good...?
    As tD puts on his flack jacket. :D

tD

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oooooooooo ;)

Acadia

18. Technodrome

But seriously, as for your 120 DPI setting problem, I think you have to wait for Windows Vista to correct this. They're developing a new graphic engine which will be able to correct all these annoying problems. It will only cost around $ 200. ;)

tD

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Technodrome.

Acadia

20. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Or use an Linux distrobution with X.Org as xwindows system. Will cost you around $ 000... Sorry for the troll ;)

21. Graystoke

Acadia...I have that same over 50 eyes syndrome also. :D

I know what you mean about McAfee. Actually, my two favorites at the moment are NAV 2006 and Nod32. I'm leaning more towards NOD32, because I don't like the Norton Protection Center in NAV 2006. It reminds me too much of the McAfee Control Center. It can be removed in XP's Sevices, but not sure if that screws things up with NAV's inner workings.

I didn't like NOD32 too much at first, with having to set up AMON, IMON, etc, but I've gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me any more. And I like the support you get here at the forum from all the expert NOD32'ers. :)

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Graystoke, yes, I really like NOD too. Unfortunately, it appears to be incompatible with my second favorite program, MacroExpress, so given a choice, NOD has to go.

Acadia

23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I would email support, I know they will get you sorted. Have you tried excluding that program with AMON?

Cheers :D

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, just might have to try that, thanks, Blackspear. :cool:

Acadia

25. Graystoke

McAfee off, NOD32 back on. :)

Acadia,

Good luck with getting NOD working on your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.