BitDefender Free Edition v 7.0 !

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This product is still in beta !!!

New for bitdefender

Centralized management console
    Benefiting from previous experience, the new BitDefender Free Edition was designed with a centralized management console, which allows the protection options configuration for all BitDefender modules. It is enough to open the management console in order to have access to all modules: Virus Scan, Scheduler, Live! Update, On-access Scanner.
    System scanning
    On demand scanning - Powerful scan engines ensure detection and removal of all viruses in the wild every time you need it.
    Scheduled scanning - You can schedule the checking of your system at any time, periodically, without any other intervention.
    Immediate scanning - with just a right click you can check your files and folders

Automatic and manual update
    Intelligent update of antivirus protection, without your intervention. The update can be done from the network over the Internet, directly or through a Proxy Server. You may also check the existence of an upgrade or update, at any moment you'd like.

Skinable interface
    You can express yourself, designing new interfaces, or you can use those drawn by others.

File Quarantine
    By isolating the infected files in quarantine, the risk of getting infected diminishes. You also have the possibility to send these files for further analysis to BitDefender Labs.

Report File
    When launching a scanning you may choose to create a report file where you can see statistics about the scan process.

Free Human Technical Support
    Provides 24/24 e-mail, chat and phone human technical support
    http://www.bitdefender.com/html/more_free_edition.php

Technodrome

2. snowman

snowman Guest

TECH

thank you for this update....unfortunately I have not been able to download it for some reason.

I followed all the steps....an then when the I reach the point of the actually download...all I get is a blank page........I even exited my proxy trying that way...but nothing.     I have java and activeX disabled..do you think this is needed  ?

would like to give this one a try if possible....by the way..whats your opinion of this program..if you don't mind .

snowman

3. snowman

snowman Guest

TECH

ok,,I got it!    needed either java or activeX enabled.    6.99 mb

would still highly value your opinion of this program if possible.

thanks
                                 snowman

4. Technodrome

I didn’t try Bit Defender 7 version. They are claming that this version of Bit Defender is equipped with new engine… So I can not comment about that.

Current version 6.4 of BD and earlier didn’t impress me.
    Heuristic analyzer is rather poor and BD is more relaying on virus signatures. Now, they are claming that BD can detect around 68,000 viruses,worms,Trojans etc. This number is far less. Realty is something deferent.

Bit Defender did poor in every test, but the latest test from Hamburger University suggests that they’ve got improved over the time. Yes, there has been some improvement over past months. This new 7 version might give to this product a new lift-up. But this is yet to been seen.

Technodrome

5. snowman

snowman Guest

TECH

I installed BD a short while ago.....not impressed with it at all....in fact, disappointed.

SIG well under 60,000.....more like 57000

no heuristics opens

no hostile applet options

no banned ip options

no noticed options for e mail

resource useage in the same range as McAfee (which is a resource hog)

there a couple of other things I could mention but wont at this time.    one action that did upset me is that it auto checked for updates even thought this was un-checked........I absolutely did not like that.

as a freebee....it would be better than nothing at all.............although AVG freeware seems more feature rich.............BD engine was fast enough...an did scan a few more files than say McAfee.....

no I would not consider purchasing BD..if this is all the features it offers.......of course I am not able to judge its detection rate....thankfully  LOL

SeeYa

snowman

6. Technodrome

BidDefender 6.4
    Total virus signatures: 67673
    Virus signatures added for the week of April 26, 2002 (90 signatures):

Check this page out snowman: http://www.bitdefender.com/html/updates.php

In anycase I wouldn't recommend this product!

Technodrome

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

snowman - For what it's worth, I've never had a single complaint with AVG. It's the only AV program on my back-up computer and I don't have any qualms with that at all.

Now, it doesn't have 'hostile applet' or 'bannedIP' options like you mentioned, but I really don't look for those types of features in my AV program (my firewall program, yes).

Sure, the free version doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the pay versions have, but kept up-dated, set-up right and used with common sense (along with having your browsers and email programs set up securely, settings-wise), the program should be sufficient unto your needs.

Just my .02 Pete

8. snowman

snowman Guest

TECH

well I've been using BD on and off all day.....an will be removing it very shortly.    Its a nice gesture for the company to offer a freebee like this to the public......personally its just not up to par for me....an no even as a "layperson" I would not recommend it either.

Thanks Tech for your imput on this.....it was appreciated.

PETE

actually I installed AVG on my sister's lil girl's computer...an it has worked very well....an has mote features than BD........AVG located and deletely one virus on her computer just moments after it was installed.......yup, think I'll look into it.  

with McAfee behaving so foolishly I want to get it off my machine....an until I can find another scanner that I like a freebe will do........I do have Norton on hard disk...had forgot about having it....

In all honesty I am not up to date info wise on virus scanners.......so using caution an depending alot on you guys for guidence,

snowman

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

Have you read this page where some AV's are described:

http://www.wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm

10. snowman

snowman Guest

FANJ

thank you..no I had not read the page...just did so briefly...an will return in a moment.

I did notice that wormguard wont work with winME........an the program does look nice.

snowman

11. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snowman,

If you think there is a problem with WormGuard on WinME, please ask in the WormGuard forum. I'm sure one of the regulars overthere will help you.

Jan.

EDIT:

Ah, dumb me; I just saw there this:

Sorry !

12. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Ok.....so you bashed the "freebie" !!  
    Personally, I like an AV without  all the "bells and whistles".  Just a basic AV scanner will do.
     Sounds to me like Bit Defender is trying to get back into the fray by offering a new and better AV.  And free software is the best way to get users to try their new version. I think it's good that some software companies offer their products for free.
    Personally, I would take AVG over any other freebie at this time, until the other free AV's become a reliable source of protection !!
     If only F-prot or Dr. Web were free....

oh well !!
                           bill

13. Technodrome

Command AV is like that and it's very effective AV. One of the best! It isn't free though. It costs $24.99.

F-prot has free DOS version !
    DrWeb is only $21.99 ! (One large pizza and dozen chicken wings)

Technodrome

14. snowman

snowman Guest

BILLMAC

"bashed the freebe""    huh??

TECH

I will go right now to check into COMMAND AV....I am not concerned about the price.....the free programs I am looking into would only be back-up just in case I need to remove McAfee in a hurry.......I work with java applets all day....which is why I stayed with McAfee because it has a feature to guard against hostle applets.........but of course that didn't help with the hack attacks....LOL

SNOWMAN

15. Technodrome

Mcafee is good product (detection side) but it's too damn buggy...  :(

Technodrome

16. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Snowman...
                      I'm afraid we are at odds in regards to choosing AV's !! You want an AV with the works, I don't.
    That is probably why you didn't like BD, even though it may be not be a great AV. But free software is better than none, and you have to appreciate the gesture by the BD company !!
    Also, I'm not a big fan of Mcafee. Too much gravy in that proggie !!  
      If you want one of the best AV's, try Kaspersky or Nod.  

Checkout...                                                                                           "DrWeb is only $21.99 ! (One large pizza and dozen chicken wings) "
    Is that Canadian or U.S. pizza ?? LOL
    I'll stick with my F-prot for now !!
                           Regards...bill   ;)

[move]GO REDWINGS GO [/move]

17. Technodrome

New Yorker pizza !!! Really biggg big one! LOL

BTW F-prot is good choice!!! No worries...Keep it up to date and you are all set!

Technodrome

18. snowman

snowman Guest

billmac

it was real news to me that we are at odds on anything.........no where in this thread do I see where I condemn anything you have expressed.  your opinion of a product has been given the same respect as everyone's.

to falsely accuse me of bashing a product simply because it does not fit my needs and preferences... is a rather bold step in the wrong direction.  

if anything I have been very open-minded...requesting opinions...testing products......an sincerely appreciating the help being offered.

you appear to have taken personal offense to my not finding BD up to par....if you like the product thats fine with me....use it....purchase a copy for every room in the house......I've got no problem with what programs a person likes.  an in the meanwhile I will continue searching for a program that I can feel meets my needs........an guess what..if you offer a suggestion on a product ..I am more than willing to listen

an make no mistake about it...I will express my personal opinion regarding any product....an I will un-install any product that is not up to what I expect operational wise....I will always ask the opinions of others an listen intently to those opinions with the full realization that they may have more knowledge on the subject and/or pruduct.

perhaps we view the word "bashing" in a differant context.........I see it as meaning a person is intentionally trying to flame a product....distroy its reputation...make harmful comments with  deliberate intent.............an I have not done any of the above.

this post will end my discussion on this subject.

snowman

19. snowman

snowman Guest

TECH

just want to take a moment to thank you for the time you gave in trying to help me......as always its been appreciated.

I'll be leaving this thread now.....but will eventually advice you of which product I went with.

snowman

20. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Snowman...
                      I only expressed my opinions on free AV's, and it was not a personal attack on you or your views ! We are all entitled to express our opinions. My apologies to you if you  have misunderstood my views !!

bill   o_O

21. snowman

snowman Guest

BillMac

it appears that I mis-interpreted the intent of your original post........an my apology to you.

ironically I am very much in accord with you opinion of KAV and AVG........in fact I installed AVG as a back up.....an will be seriously thinking of buying KVA

hopefully we can exchanged many views and opinions in the future ......  your views will always be welcomed and appreciated.

snowman

22. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

:) :)Re: BitDefender Free Edition v 7.0 !

Snowman....
                      Thanks and my pleasure !!

bill  :)

23. Ledendo

Ledendo Registered Member

Just my opinion on the new bitdefender version: They improved their product in many ways compared to the las version. I checked the detection rate with my (admittedly small) virus collection and it came up not too far away from the leading av, being McAfee and KAV. In fact it detected more viruses than DrWeb and FProt and many more than second class av programs like virusbuster or RAV. All in all: not too bad for a free product.
    Just a word on this version being a "free" one. It does not include an on-access scanner, so it should be used as a second opinion program rather than as the only av on a system.
    I agree on some of the remarks concerning he previous version of AVX/Bitdefender, but again, seems they did a step towards the right direction...

24. Mina Guindy

Mina Guindy Guest

yesterday (May 12) isent an e-mail for their support regarding that the on-access demand not available.
    today i received their reply:

"
    Dear Mina,

Thank you for your interest in our security solution BitDefender.

The On-access scanner will not be available in the Free edition of
    BitDefender (it will only be available in the Professional and Home Edition
    versions). You will be able to evaluate it as soon as they will be released
    (a 30 days evaluation version will be available for each of them). The
    release date should be around the end of July 2002. Thank you for your
    understanding.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions.

Best regards,

Radu Dumitru
    BitDefender Technical Support Engineer
    -------------------------------------
    SOFTWIN
    Data Security Division
    e-mail: support@bitdefender.com
    phone: +(40) 1 233 18 52; 233 07 80
    fax: (+40) 1 233.07.63
    Bucharest, ROMANIA
    http://www.bitdefender.com
    http://www.softwin.ro
    secure your every bit

"
    it seems to be some poor demo version .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.