Bitdefender Free CryptoWall Vaccine

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Charyb, Dec 17, 2014.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. haakon

haakon Guest

Particular notice should be directed to the word "only."

Source:
    http://labs.bitdefender.com/projects/cryptowall-vaccine-2/bitdefender-offers-cryptowall-vaccine/

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't get it, so doesn't it protect against older versions? And what about other types of ransomware? I don't understand why BitDefender is being so vague about how it exactly works. I think it's probably using signatures, as it doesn't seem to use a driver. It does seem to be quite lite, not bloated at all, so that is a big plus.

4. Last time I checkef, it used Software Restriction Policies (like CryptoPrevent portable).

For windows to update normally you can set a deny execute on all user folders, except
    - TEMP folder = this is used as installation folder
    - Drive with largest free space = some installers choose in the past to extract to the non-system drive with the largest amount free space
    - Root folder = some driver installations extract to system drive (but this should be protected by UAC)

When you don't use .Net you probably only need to allow TEMP. So with a Software Restriction Policy of deny execute on all user folders except TEMP, you won't run into update problems. When you add a DENY execute file/traverse folder Access Control List (just right click choose security tab), you can close down this intended HOLE in your deny execute. Before updating just change the DENY ACL for EVERYONE into an ALLOW.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly I don't see the point of this thing. I've done some testing and if you are running SBIE you will be protected from browers installing. Appguard blocks installing and also blocks data disks. EIS/EAM(Emsisoft) also shuts them down. NVT's Exe Radar Pro blocks them unless you click allow. And HMPA prevents damage if they do run.

Finally Backup Backup Backup.

Finally if you work with a lot of valuable data PM me. I found another little trick, but I don't want to publicly post it. I've tested it and it works.

Pete

6. Magic_The

Magic_The Registered Member

There is Hitmanproalert for that.

7. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Says the guy with quintuple redundancy.

8. Pete, could you be more specific? The point of what?

IMO programs like Cryptoprevent and Bitdefender CryptoWall enable a build in feature which helps to reduce the risk of ransom malware without the loss of any CPU cycles. Free programs like Simple Software Restriction Policy, Bouncer and Smart Object Blocker do the same and can be configured as free anti executable. Why not use those free available options?

9. Peter2150

Point is many of the quality security programs already protect against ransomware so why add another on top of it all.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Please be specific about which quality programs provide adequate protection. To my knowledge there are only a few that claim to be able to stop crypto-ransomware before it encrypts data. Many programs can detect the malware after the fact, but that's not particularly helpful.

I have confidence that HitmanPro.Alert can detect and stop the encryption process in real time, and so I consider it a "must have" program. CryptoPrevent works by denying access to the folders that crypto-ransomware uses to execute, and so equally "must have".

11. Peter2150

EIS/EAM has stopped it. Appguard stops it. Exe Radar Pro stops it

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

May I suggest that all threads, which are not about Emsisoft, AppGuard, NVT ERP, Sandboxie or HMP.A, should be locked? Alternatively I will post in all other threads why I don't need them because of my bloated ~Phrase removed~ security setup.

13. Rasheed187

Why do you think that? You can also turn the immunization feature off, and apparently it will still protect you. So it must either use HIPS tech, or signatures besides Software Restriction Policies.

14. Run Regedit, look for the key HKLM/SOFTWARE/Policies/Windows/Safer to find out besides path rules their might also be hash based rules identifying executables

15. Rasheed187

I'm sorry but I'm not following you. What I'm saying is that the "immunization" feature will block apps from launching from certain locations. But you can also turn this off, so what is the other protection about?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  16. @Rasheed187 When you run it, have a look at those registry keys with immunzation on and off. Then post them so we can have a look at it and know about whether or not SRP is applied and how.

17. Rasheed187

Yes but you're not answering my question, did you even try this tool?

18. Yes, that is why I am asking you to check those registry keys. Could you have a look at it?

19. Rasheed187

I didn't see any keys over there. But I won't be using it, it keeps phoning home and the protection offered is too vague for me.

20. Rasheed187

21. @Rasheed187

Forums are for discussing issues and sharing experiences. You are great at discussing, may I suggest you try it yourself and share your experience in the Secure Folders thread?

When in doubt you can load it to VirusTital, Comodo Instant Malware Analysis, ThreatExpert, Hybrid-analysis, Anubis, GFI-sandbox, etc

22. Rasheed187

Yes but I would like to know what you and others think. I've read some of the comments, and that made me hesitant to try it. But I trust your opinion so that's why I asked. It does indeed seem to be a handy tool.

23. Peter2150

I have it on my system and use it. It does work as advertised.

24. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Well, I don't trust Download.com (download.cnet.com) anymore since one may not get the original, unmodified installer file, so I kept looking.

I found it here:
    http://www.filecroco.com/download-secure-folders

File name: SetupSecureFolders.exe
    Size: 4012544 bytes
    MD5: bc75ed68bd5a50af1cfcbccfa06e7e7b
    SHA1: 6568e012f2169d3f570bcac6159857c990b42f80
    SHA256: 355f9c7ae0ccb2885d1cb6affb4ba89102a78be43eb2604a90084bcb34ca1dd4

I know that doesn't answer your question, but I thought it would be helpful to offer you an alternate source for the installer.

Phil

25. Rasheed187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.