Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PaulBB, Dec 23, 2012.

1. internet addict

internet addict Registered Member

Maybe I'll test it out. Thanks for the replies.

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Bump this problem.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The problem is that it can delete files you may actually want to keep. That, along with the fact that there is no option for you to be prompted when a possible threat is found is why I will not use BD free or install it on any of my customers computers in its current state.

Each to their own, but I always put functionality ahead of detection rates.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Salient point to bring up again in this long thread. This point seems to get lost in all the praising of Bitdefender Antivirus Free - English GUI.

It's been mentioned about system files no longer being automatically deleted. This is a good start. But only a start to those who want to be prompted & decide which files will stay on our computers.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They have said they are going to add the ability to restore quarantined files, so let BD decide, take the action, and if you disagree, restore it and exclude it right away. Isn't that good enough, and basically the same thing? Also, that way it removes the confusing decision from the average user who probably wouldn't know which way to choose anyhow.... The idea is to make BD Free as simple, easy to use, and transparent as possible, and yet extremely effective at the same time. I think they have the right idea.

6. internet addict

And this is what I don't want to happen. Other than that I like the idea it makes the choices automatically for the average computer user, who wouldn't know what to do.

I've been using PCAV Free and Comodo Firewall with no problems, and Malwarebytes for an on-demand scanner. I believe PCAV gives you the option to restore quarantined files.

7. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Kerodo -

Back on the 12th you suggested I submit the file that caused the false positive, so the folks at BD could fix their signature file.

I just want to say that this morning I finally did that, and by the time I got home this evening their signatures had been updated. Neither VirusTotal's BD nor the BD I have running on a test PC here now show the file as infected.

Thank you to Iulika0069, who made sure it got to the right people at BD, who in turn responded quickly.

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Hey Iulika0069, I just want to confirm, are there any caveats to running with auto-scan off other than the "malware cleanup failure issue on reboot"? I seem to have completely solved my slowdown issue by disabling auto-scan and I just want to confirm that "only" the random file scan feature is disabled and that no other hidden processes or features are broken when it's disabled.............. Thanks in advance!

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I wanna try it. But can anyon tell me the ram usage, any unusual cpu spikes, daily database update size, scan duration, browsing slowdowns?

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If they did implement it, most likely the the default setting would still be to automatically deal with threats (but I certainly hope it would quarantine them rahter than delete them).

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's great... Thanks for letting us know.. :)

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I believe that's what they're planning.. or at least that is the impression I got.

13. internet addict

Until they change that, I'll stick to PCAV Free. The rest sounds promising.

14. Iulika0069

Iulika0069 AV Expert

you're safe with shield on and auto-scan off ;)
    most of my team still believes that auto-scan is just a 'show off' feature :)
    still, we cannot escape from all user/industry paradigms.. one step of a time :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Sweet, thanks for the reply! :thumb:

16. internet addict

Can Bitdefender be used alongside Comodo Firewall or is it best used as a complete standalone?

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

They didn't play nice when I tried it.

18. internet addict

thanks, clocks

19. waters

waters Registered Member

Back on,addicted to the speed

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Is BD fast and light?:doubt:

21. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

This product is :D

22. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

False positives on Wirelesskeyview by Nirsoft and Superscan4 by McAfee.

-http://blog.nirsoft.net/2012/10/10/amazing-difference-between-antivirus-false-alerts-on-32-bit-and-64-bit-builds-of-exactly-the-same-tool/

-http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/superscan.aspx

23. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Sure seems to have a lot of FPs, contrary to the independent tests. Shame...

24. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Which wouldn't be an issue if they FIXED THE GODDAMN AUTO DELETE PROBLEM already.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm not so sure they're really listening, or else it's one of those situations in which the messenger goes to the dev team with the issues and gets told to pound sand. Auto-delete was a stupid idea to begin with. Sure, keep stupid users from screwing themselves, but also put enough protections in there to keep the AV from screwing the users. If and when they get moving on it instead of constantly explaining the way they think and acting confused as to why the users think differently, I'll give it another go and I'm sure more around here will put more faith in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.